hemp and drug testing

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

hemp and drug testing

Postby kls » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:49 am

i see alot about hemp and its products on this board and i was wondering--if i eat hemp protein or hemp seed granola (which i really like), will i show up positive on a drug test? it is critical for my job that i don't.
thanks for the help
k
kls

Postby harlequin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:36 pm

hi k

Can you tell form the packaging if its THC high version of cannabis saliva(spelling??)? Most of the commecial stuff from what i understand comes from pretty much useless seed stock for smoking. And I'm pretty sure you'd know if it was a high THC version as ingesting cooked or rather heated THC (which activate it if you didnt know) give you a similar if not greater high then smoking.

If its a THC negligible version it shouldnt matter at all as this is what id imagine they (guessing forces?) test for. Certainly never showed in any of mine that i know of.

See Biology and chemistry is useful, shame about the years of physics ive done ;)

h
harlequin

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:22 pm

I thought the hemp used for eating and making earth-friendly products was entirely different from hemp used for drugs? That it was the wonderful-non-biased-no interest/agenda/bias-neutral FDA which has chosen to restrict their use as well as relegate them to equal status.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby kettlebellnut » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:29 pm

Nutiva, Manitoba, and the other brands available in the US are a non-THC variety of Hemp and will not affect drug-testing.
kettlebellnut

Postby harlequin » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:26 am

I could be completely wrong but from what I remeber Hemp, is Cannabis, is the wacky hippy stuff. But saying that if you not getting the high its low THC plant variety

Again im pretty sure there same genius and species ie [i]cannabis saliva[/i] and from what i remeber all hemp is that. It's a kind of one product takes over the world, mind you it deserved its place its bloody survival instinct is second to none and its really usefull stuff; hence the number of product that can be made and the energy used to make them is next to nothing.

Ill check with my mate who's a biochemist when im down in sydney tomorrow and get the heads up.

</rant> im sure everyone released the benefit

h
harlequin

Hemp foods

Postby VeganEssentials » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:53 am

I'll confirm what Vegmason said - hemp foods should contain no THC and not affect drug testing in any way. Some companies state this clearly while others do not, but in the USA a company cannot have any THC content in their foods and still sell them legally. There was a LOT of controversy here a few years back when the DEA wanted to stop production and import of all hemp foods, but when it was shown that they didn't contain anything that could get you high or fail drug tests it quickly was fizzled out and that was the end of it. Apparently there were still plenty of people out there believing that if you ate a pretzel made from hemp flour you were as good as a junkie in a gutter, so what could be more necessary than banning all hemp goods entirely?

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and if you have questions, contact the company directly and they should be confident to let you know about THC issues. They need to figure that if they cost someone their job it could mean a lawsuit, so I take it they'll be quite honest about it!

Ryan
www.VeganEssentials.com
VeganEssentials

hemp

Postby timthecook » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:03 pm

Commercially grown hemp contains only minute traces of THC in the plant alone - and the seeds on a high-THC stain of hemp tend to contain minute traces of THC also - therefore, the seeds on a commercially grown hemp plant won't contain enough THC to effect a drugs test, because only commercial strains of hemp are legal to grow for use in foods, fibres, cosmetics etc.

The only reason the hemp plant was ever prohibited in the first place was because of 3 greedy capitalists with a lot of power, who knew that this versatile plant would threaten their industries if its full potential was rightfully achieved. I recommend reading 'The Great Book of Hemp' which documents much about the plant and its history. The world would be a giant leap closer to being sustainable should we see sense and fully utilize this gift of nature. It's all about money these days though, so take care of yerselves. Then again, many of you are Vegan or interested in the lifestyle, so you've got the right idea :)
*shopping is voting*
timthecook

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:08 pm

Hey Tim! Good to see you here!

Anyone who wants some great vegan recipes, check out Tim's site. 8) Fan double dozy (whereever that comes from...)
Mary

Postby kls » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:05 pm

like your signature tim!
thanks all for the info--i feel much better now, knowing i will probably be safe from drug testers :) sigh of relief!!!
totally agree with your saying we should utilize hemp more fully, mary. one of my friends told me the declaration of independence was written on hemp! apparently, way back in the day, it was actually required for all residents of virginia to grow hemp! can't remember the reason given...
kls

Postby madpogue » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:09 pm

Now, about those lemon poppy-seed Clif bars....
madpogue

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating