refined sugar and labels

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

refined sugar and labels

Postby not_a_slave » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:44 am

when looking on labels for refined suger, will the label actually read "refined sugar", or just "sugar"?
...AND THERE WILL BE SORROW NO MORE
not_a_slave

Postby funfetus » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:36 am

If it says sugar, it's refined sugar. Any sugar that's not refined will be naturally occurring in things like fruit, and won't be listed as an ingredient.
funfetus

Postby not_a_slave » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:24 am

what about the sugar in the raw stuff, is that considered refined?
not_a_slave

Postby funfetus » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:11 am

Yes.

Basically, if it's not in its natural form inside a whole plant material, it's refined.
funfetus

Sugar

Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:20 am

The refined sugar issue is always an odd one. Something like Sugar in the Raw is refined to some extent, but it is not bone-char refined (like most white table sugar is.) That is something that will never be listed on a label, but unless it states something like "organic sugar" and just says "sugar" it most likely is bone char processed. This isn't ALWAYS the case, but if you're purchasing a product inside the USA it is right around 9 out of 10 times.

However, most other countries don't use bone char refined sugar in their products. For example, we carry some imported chocolates and candies that do just label as "sugar", but it isn't bone char processed. Again, this is primarily the USA and many times Canadian products that contain such processed sugars, but for other countries it is pretty rare.

For me, I'm not extremely picky about the issue. There's no bone in the final product, and you're 1000 times more likely to get cross-contamination from animal by-products every time you eat at a restaurant that isn't 100% vegan from utensils and cookware in food preparation. But, that's just me - some people are extremely picky about it. That's primairly why I won't stock products that contain refined sugars since I don't want anyone to have to wonder how it is processed. Why make anyone have to wonder?

Ryan
www.VeganEssentials.com
VeganEssentials

Postby Cuguacuarana » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:57 am

As far as I'm concerned refined sugar is any source of sugar that has been isolated from its source. This includes: sugar, corn syrup, sucrose, glucose, high fructose corn syrup, brown rice syrup, raw sugar, evaporated cane juce, fructose, maple syrup, honey (maybe its not strictly refined) and agave nectar. I can't think of other ones, but I'm sure there are some.

the reason it doesn't matter whether its sugar or raw sugar or any of these other things, is because calorically its all the same. They are quickly absorbed and digested like all sugar. Granted some of these sources of sugar are better for you than others, they are all sugar.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby not_a_slave » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:17 am

i suppose i should clear up the fact that i am not asking about it for the caloric reason, but for the bone reasons. i need to get some non bone charred sugar, and need to know what i can buy.
not_a_slave

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating