protein consumption

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

protein consumption

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:08 pm

is it best to consume protein before or after a workout.

I heard its best to do it right after a workout. you have a 30 minute window of opportunity.

but when I used to lift, I used to consume a mjority of my protein right before I lifted and I gained muscle mass really quick.

I am gaining now but not as fast as I would like.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby kls » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:32 am

to the best of my knowledge, after is better. i want to say that for optimum refueling/maximum glycogen absorption by muscle/liver etc a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein works best. those are the numbers that stick in my mind, but i have no verification handy at the moment.
i also seem to remember the post workout window being a little wider (45 min-1hr). of course, the best idea there is probably the start pounding the food the instant you are sure you won't bring it back up. cheerful stuff! :D
hope that helps. and you don't alway have to listen to "the books". you've obviously experimented and whatever works for you is probably just great. saw your photos. awesome! 8)
kls

Postby JP » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:34 am

hero, any reasons why you would not do both?

Also, what might work for you might be different than the "rule of thumbs" - which are always generalisations.

If i had to choose though, i'd go with kls's recommendation.
JP
Site Admin

Protein

Postby muscle-militia » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:31 pm

You need both. If training for power or size and getting your 1.5g per pound minimum. Protein in your system aids the anabolic responce and effects insulin (Insulin is soo anabolic as it is also a storage hormone) so it aids synthisis. However the 30 minute window is for carb.

Fuel up between 30 minutes to one hour before you train (35g ish Glucose) to ensure you have blood sugar for ATP - this is also the best time for creatine (ATP - PC transferance) do the workout. THEN THE GOLDEN 30

So called as this is the most anabolic state for growth you will ever get. It is soooo important to cram down SIMPLE carb, such as glucose - again 35+g is this is turned to glygogen for repair, causing an insulin spike and sucking all the nutrition where you need it most. However if you dont get the protein down you too (as it will be 1.5 to 2 hours since your last hit) you will very soon get catabolic - where muscle is broken down to form extra blood sugars
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

…duh

Postby muscle-militia » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:33 pm

…Golden 30; thirty minute window post training for a protein & carb hit for a BIG anabolic responce
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating