food while travelling

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

food while travelling

Postby tylerm » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:28 am

I am going to Cancun, Mexico on the 29th of this month. I will be there 8 days. My best friend and I got an amazingly cheap deal on an all inclusive package at some resort, where it includes all food and alcohol. They have a total of 10 different restaurants onsite, including mexican, italian, buffet, etc. I do, however, not want to eat a bunch of crappy food as I try and eat organic and as healthy as possible at home (almost no processed food). I plan to bring a bag of packaged vegan food, and wanted to ask for ideas.

I was planning on bringing a bunch of clif bars, stonewalls jerky, a bag of raw almonds... and that is about what I have got so far. I figure I will be able to get lots of fresh fruit down there, any other ideas of food stuffs I might want to bring?? It will have to be packaged, as open containers of food will probably not get through customs.
tylerm

Postby scout » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:45 am

If you can bring a small cooler with ice packs or something in it, I'd also bring vegan sandwich "meat", hummus, cooked lentils & rice, etc. that you can put in the refrigerator at the hotel. Also, you could bake some banana bread. I'm sure you could get regular bread at the hotel for your sandwiches, but you could choose to bring your own pita bread, too.
So many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind
Is all this sad world needs.

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
scout

travel

Postby ctchrinthry » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:37 am

Yes, i have the same issue; i travel fairly often for work and have to deal with hotel and conference food.

I like to bring odwalla bars. I really like 'em. I also like "big 100" but they aren't vegan of course. Also, vegan jerky can be a good option, and it's light&compact, so it's easy to fly. Even my little brother really likes the stuff, and he's being raised staunch carnivore.

But, if the package is food inclusive, i'd do my best to use it all i could.

And liquor too? Pretty sweet! They'd lose money on my irish-german alcohol tolerance. ;)

dave
At this or that twist of it I feel my slippery self eluding me, gliding into deeper and darker waters than I care to probe.
ctchrinthry

Postby fredrikw » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:28 am

I do quite a lot of travel myself, and the inly thing I usually bring is a jar of peanut butter, bread and a list of local veg* restaurants that I've googled up. even when you spend the whole day at a conference or a meeting, you usually find something, and if you don't you always have your peanut butter sandwiches as emergency food. this is perhaps a little bit lazy, but it works fine for me.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating