My First Sushi

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My First Sushi

Postby Renecarol25 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:42 pm

A coworker shared her vegan sushi with me today. It was tofu wrapped in something like seaweed and then rice around that. Had some flavouring stuff on it too. It was pretty good. Most of the veggie fish stuff that I've had in the past like tuno, ocean platter, stuff like that I've not liked. I can't even stand the smell of fish. So I was pretty impressed.
Renecarol25

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:50 pm

I used to like fish, but I always loved seaweed. So when I discovered vegan sushi, my life became complete. It is very good for you, full of micronutrients that us humans like to have in our bodies. So continue to enjoy.
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:52 pm

I never like seafood. so i never tried the mock seafood products.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:29 pm

Try making miso soup, it is great. I made a big pot last night. I used to use a very dark miso that was aged a long time, and I recently switched to a light yellow miso that isn't aged as long, and I think it tastes even better.

I just put maybe 4 or 6 cups of water in a pot depending on how much soup I want, cube up a 1/2 lb. of tofu, add some sliced shitakes (or normal mushrooms if you don't have shitake), some seaweed (wakame or whatever you want) and bring to a simmer until the mushrooms are tender. I chop up some green onion and put some fresh baby spinach in, then take it off the burner after another minute or so.

Put some miso (available at any health food store or asian food store) in a seperate bowl, and mix some of the hot water from the soup in to make it into a slurry or paste. Mix this into the soup. Don't ever add miso while it is still on the burner, heat will ruin some of the nutrional value of it.

There you go, fast miso that is delicious. I usually add in lots of green onion, and last night I put in some rice noodles halfway through the simmer, and that was great as well. You can also thinly slice regular onion and add it in, and you can also garnish the soup with sesame seeds. My miso is not traditional in any way, I just add whatever I want in there and it always turns out delicious. It is also great cold as leftovers the next day.
tylerm

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:31 pm

BTW Rene, you can make vegan sushi rolls with nori (the toasted seaweed wrap), sticky sushi rice, and things like avacado, carrot, baked tofu slices, cucumber, any kind of veggies are great rolled up in them. You can get sushi rice, nori, rice vinegar at any asian food stores, or some health food stores. Nori at the local health food store was something ridiculous like 10 sheets of nori for $4, local asian store was 40 sheets for $5!
tylerm

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:49 pm

I have never been able to afford sushi rice, so I always make do with rice boiled till it is sticky (pudding rice is stickiest, though not so healthy as brown) then bind it with tahini. The rest of the recipes is pretty much as Tylerm describes. That soup sounds gorgeous... When I make it I will often put ginger in, and garlic, but nobody else in the house likes it that way, so not so often anymore. :( Still, I do make fantastic soup, if I say so myself!
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:02 pm

Mary

While I hate endorsing supermarkets, I will vouch for Sainsbury's own brand Italian brown rice, which is excellent for sushi, far superior to any classic sushi rice. It's not expensive and it's the best brown rice I've ever tasted, so do try it. I eat sushi once or twice a week, I absolutely adore it. Favourite filling is this sainsbury rice, slivers of avocado, slivers of baked or fried tofu and cucumber. Incomplete without pickled ginger and a good nasal-clearing blob of wasabi :shock:
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:14 pm

Excellent. I know what I am having for tea tomorrow - that avocado is about ripe now. :D
Mary

Postby Strix » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:34 pm

I love making my own Nori Rolls. I love avo in them too, Rochelle. And I also use brown rice. You can use any short-grain brown rice found in any market. It works great, and tastes better than white rice, in my opinon.

There are some great vegan subs for crabmeat which make great California rolls.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:05 pm

I abs LOVE sushi and japanese food - one hting I loved about being in Aus this summer was getting vegan sushi so easily and such good quality and fresh! In Sydney I had lunch at a sushi bar once where there are those little trains going round with stuff that the chef has literally just made and there were so many gorgeous choices! Seaweed with sesame on rice; Avocado or ginger or tofu maki rolls (rolled in rice and held together with seaweed); Bean curd boats filled with rice; YUM!!! I also love miso soup which is very good for you but I cant remember why - there is portein and i thinm miso is high in Iron???/ Not sure. Love japanese food - shame there is not vegan options...
Fruitbat

Postby kettlebellnut » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:16 pm

I love sushi, but going to places where they are slicing and dicing right in front of you is something I avoid. I can eat alot of it and depending on where, it can get $$$$$$. :) I once ran up a $30 bill, by myself, without realizing it. :lol:
kettlebellnut

Postby tylerm » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:16 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]I abs LOVE sushi and japanese food - one hting I loved about being in Aus this summer was getting vegan sushi so easily and such good quality and fresh! In Sydney I had lunch at a sushi bar once where there are those little trains going round with stuff that the chef has literally just made and there were so many gorgeous choices! Seaweed with sesame on rice; Avocado or ginger or tofu maki rolls (rolled in rice and held together with seaweed); Bean curd boats filled with rice; YUM!!! I also love miso soup which is very good for you but I cant remember why - there is portein and i thinm miso is high in Iron???/ Not sure. Love japanese food - shame there is not vegan options...

I was in Australia last Nov and Dec, and was in Sydney as well. I agree, there are small sushi stands everywhere! I loved being able to get some veggie rolls for $1.50 whenever I wanted. I would buy a couple and put some in my bag for later. I also ate at a Japanese place in Brighton, England last year that had one of those conveyor belts of food..
tylerm

Postby Fruitbat » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:19 pm

I sould so visit Brighton - lotsa veganism and 2 ppl from forum hang out there!!!
Fruitbat

Postby tylerm » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:32 pm

I went to Brighton while traveling England last March, met my Aunt for the first time, who lives in Seaford, just outside of Brighton. I also went out with my cousin drinking there, I think they call it 'the lanes'? I may be wrong, but the assorted pubs and whatnot in the narrow alleyways...
tylerm

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating