freezing tofu?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

freezing tofu?

Postby welshkarl » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:35 pm

I've recently aquired a large chest freezer, and am looking for ideas of what vegan things I can use it for( this morning I had great fun picking loads of blackberries to put into the freezer for future use! )
What I wanted to ask is, does anyone know whether tofu freezes well, and what the right method of freezing(and then defrosting) tofu is?
welshkarl

Postby october_lost » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:40 pm

The tofu I have says 'do not freeze' but Ive read that it gains a chewy texture if you freeze the stuff. I would recommend you avoided the microwave when defrosting.
october_lost

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:36 pm

If you freeze tofu it changes the texture - as you say, more chewy. This means it is more permeable for marinades. When defrosted, squeeze out the liquid, and then marinate in whatever you like the look of. It is "steakier" in texture. And just as full of protien as before. (Can't use it for cheese cake anymore though...)
Mary

Postby Marker » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:31 pm

Yes, tofu can be frozen.

We have a few recipies were you freeze and then thaw it before using. We
freeze it in a ziplock plastic bag and then just soak it in warm water to thaw.
Marker

Postby wannalift » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:29 pm

i freeze all of my tofu when i get it. there is a texture change that makes it worth it, also it keeps better if you're buying in bulk.
~david
wannalift

Postby welshkarl » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Thanks for the tips folks! 8)
Before I became vegan I always thought tofu would be really bland and boring
Tonight for dinner I defrosted some tofu that I froze earlier, and marinated it with a mixture of soy sauce and Encona yellow pepper sauce, then fried it in olive oil with some garlic. It was out of this world, I really loved the texture of it and the the way it soaked up the flavours of the marinate. I'll definatly be having that again!! :lol:
welshkarl

Postby kettlebellnut » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:24 pm

I had never frozen my tofu before seeing this thread. What a difference it makes in the texture! It really soaks up the flavors of spices and sauces.
kettlebellnut

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating