Tired All the Time

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Tired All the Time

Postby billyoffspring » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:36 pm

I am tired most all of the time. I sleep about six hours a night. I know eight would be better, but I usually do not get eight hours unless it's a weekend. I do take supplements and I even tried taking all of the following one day: b-12, calcium, iron, multivitamin. Still tired. Any ideas?
billyoffspring

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:54 pm

You are probably like me, not a great sleeper. If someone can advise you, they can advise me too. Help!
Mary

Postby billyoffspring » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:01 pm

Mary:

It's weird because I sleep like a rock, unless the animals wake me up. :D
billyoffspring

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:48 pm

So do I - in my case it is that I am woken up every few hours. This should stop in a little while. Neil is still having spasms - some nights very bad - but as he recovers from the operation they should decrease in intensity. You see, I feel guilty saying I am tired, when he is the one having the spasms!

Of course, with five animals as well as the humans mooching about the house, they wake me very often too. Last night I got maybe four hours broken sleep. The night before seven straight. Sometimes not knowing is the most tiring thing! Perhaps we sleep so well because we are shattered, and nothing more to it.

Anyway, why do you not get enough sleep? Is there anything you can do about it?
Mary

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:19 pm

Have you tried to regulate your time?
I know this would difficult for Mary, having a child and all; but you may need to force yourself to bed every night at the same time to reset your internal sleep clock. Eventually, your body adjusts and will nudge you to sleep at the same time every night.

Reading can help tire your eyes.

Are there other reasons you can't sleep longer? Anything keeping your mind running, like a problem or work? Do you keep waking? Do you consume any caffeine? What time do you work out?

Some of these things may contribute.

Melatonin, as I've stated before, is great for getting you to sleep; but if your issue is staying asleep, it won't necessarily work.

Valerian, while not very tasty (capsules are best), help to relax your body as well as knock you out; so it will keep you asleep.

Look into both. Valerian causes vivid dreams (sometimes scary) in a small percentage of people. Other than that, as far as I know, melatonin is safe; and valerian is safe, but I'm not sure if taking it long-term might be a problem. I dont' think so; I haven't read/heard anything about it.
Melatonin is in our bodies naturally. Some people have more than others. Supplementing helps regulate sleep. Once you get into a routine, you can go off it.
I take it if I have insomnia (which is very, very rare) or if I really need to get to bed extra early to awaken extra early for some reason.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:12 pm

Valerian can cause dependancy, which leads in long term use to even worse problems getting to sleep, and it also causes headaches if you take it too much. I think I am right that it is what valium comes from.
Mary

Postby billyoffspring » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:18 pm

The reason why I do not get eight hours of sleep is school.
billyoffspring

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:28 pm

Mary, I've never heard of any claims that valerian is addictive! I've read exactly the opposite.
Possible side effects in some people like what you describe.

Here is a site which contains everything I've read about it; it also refers to valium here (third paragraph):
http://www.mindpub.com/altern08.htm

Here is another with basically what I've heard:

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Informati ... lerian.htm

Let me know where you learned it is addictive! I'm interested now.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Heyutang » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:39 pm

Billy and Mary,

have you tried going to a Chinese Medical therapist? Both acupuncture and Chinese herbs are quite good with sleeping disorders. Chronic fatigue however is another story. It is a complex syndrome, in which many organs and systems are involved. It is difficlult to give general advice because for sure everyone's situation will be different. That's why I'd recommend a good diagnosis by a good therapist.

But let me at least try to give some general guidelines (chronic fatigue):

- how is your mind/spirit? Try to balance emotions - esp over-excitement, depression, anxiousness, worriedness... only when your spitit is at ease it will be able to "sink into your blood" at night, as the Chinese say. It also uses us substantial amounts of energy during the day, when not balanced

- how is your diet, and more importantly, how do you digest it? I cannot stress the digestion enough: many people may think that when they eat a lot of fruit and raw vegetables they are doing a very good thing. However, truth is that only for a relatively small amount of people this kind of diet will work. Most people cannot digest all the raw foods- they need cooked and warm food. Be honest in this: do you feel cold, weak, bloated, tired, gasses...after meals? Then your digestion is simply not working adequately. So not enough blood, spirit cannot descend= lousy sleep, tired. And not enough blood to nourish the other organs= more fatigue

- your intestines are VERY important in overall health. This is where the true absorption of nutrients happens. Many people have weak intestines (because of a wrong diet, or constitutionally). Think about white flour, sugar, processed foods (isolated protein could well be one of them, not sure about that one yet), alcohol, sticky and greasy foods, too sweet foods...all impair the functions of the intestines. A good diet and probiotics can help.

- taking isolated supplements alone will often not work: your body doesn't recognise them (why would it?). It is used to take care of whole foods, or should be. It is better to look for natural cleansing/ tonifying foods, according to what you need

- how are your levels of toxicity? Metals (including copper fillings) can cause irritation and propably play an important role in fatigue. Try a detox program (colon cleansing).

- your body's yin/yang balance may have shifted to one side (always feel hot/cold?) or at least in separate organs.

- essential fatty acids. You need to add them into your diet. Both omega3 and omega6. Very important in fatigue and overall health. Really, they provide you with a lot of energy and benefits.

So find the root of your problem(s), and then take to a slow but mindful healing process. Don't expext a quick change, real healing takes some time.

Good luck with it!
Ask more questions if you need to!

Tom.
Heyutang

Postby Cuguacuarana » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:42 am

First, I second the notion that melatonin is good for falling asleep, and in my experience helps to keep me asleep.

Billy, I would suspect you are tired all of the time because you only get six hours of sleep a night on average and are sleep deprived. You say you have the ability to sleep more on the weekends. I would take full advantage of that and sleep as much as possible to make up for the missed sleep during the week. There is a sleep doctor who claims that a person accumulates sleep debt as they miss sleep. It has a cumulitive effect. This sounds like it applies to you. I will try and find the name of the doctor for you, or one of his books. I have the same problem at school, by the end of term I'm so tired I take twice as long to do anything. Good Luck.

Mary, I don't really know what advice to offer you other than melatonin and valarian. If you are weary of taking the valarian, try just the melatonin. Sorry I can't offer you more.
Last edited by Cuguacuarana on Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby billyoffspring » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:11 am

Thanks Cuguacuarana. That seems to make sense, though I heard you don't actually build up on sleep or make up for it. Maybe I heard wrong?
billyoffspring

Postby Cuguacuarana » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:52 am

Yeah, Ive heard that it is not possible to makeup lost sleep either. From my own experiene I think it is possible to makeup a certain ammount of lost sleep. I will lose lots of sleep for a week and then sleep a ton over the weekend. I seem to get less tired after two or three days with pleanty of sleep as opposed to one. But do what works for you. I take a lot of cat naps when I am working hard in school, that seems to help with prolonged sleep deprivation.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby funfetus » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:09 pm

For a while after I went veg, I was tired all the time. Kinda figured it might've been my diet. Turned out it was, but not the way I thought. I was trying to lose weight at the time, and I just plain wasn't eating enough food. I started eating lots more, and I'm never tired like that anymore.

So, are you eating enough food?
funfetus

Postby billyoffspring » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:56 pm

Oh yea, I eat tons.
billyoffspring

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:18 pm

You know what Strix, when I was reading up on herbs, there were warnings about valerian, but I can't find anything on the web. So maybe my herby books gave bad advice...

Anyway, looks like the link to valium is bogus, so you may be right.

I have used it occasionally. Only problem I have had with it is that it stinks. (Like the dreams though... Too tired to dream at the moment, or to remember them when I wake up. :( )
Mary

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating