partially and fully hydrogenated oils

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

partially and fully hydrogenated oils

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:36 pm

could someone please give me the lowdown on em?

if peanutbutter has transfats in it cause of it, then I am gonna stop consuming it.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby ultra_whippet » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:40 pm

I think this is right, but if anyone knows more detail please correct me....

Hydrogenated oils are made from unsaturated oils, they are heated up with a nickel catalyst and pumped full of hydrogen, the end result is effectively a saturated fat. Manufacturers do this 'cos it makes them solid at room temperature and it's cheaper than using real saturated fats.

Trans fats are when you take your nice organic unsaturated oil :wink: and heat it too hot, for too long. The real bummer with these is that your body still thinks they're unsaturated fats and transports them to the cells, but they can't actually be used and will block all the usual chemical reactions.

Dunno about peanut butter though, I suppose it depends if it's heated a lot during processing??
ultra_whippet

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:19 pm

If you get a good version of peanut butter from a health food shop it should be okay. If you get a version that is sweetened with sugar etc, then it probably isn't. The natural oils in nut butters are very good for you, and I wouldn't avoid them, as they are an excellent source of protien and energy. Maybe mix it up a bit though. If you can get almond or hazlenut butter as well as peanut you might find your smoothies are even nicer. I prefer both these butters to peanut.
Mary

Postby tylerm » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:28 pm

I have been using 'real' peanut butter lately, just roasted peanuts and a bit of salt, and it is great! I don't miss the sugar in it at all, it tastes wonderful, especially on toasted whole grain bread!

I picked up some almonds and pecans today at the food store to use in my morning shakes instead of peanut butter on some days, as I figure it should be even healthier not being roasted. Also, they are great for a delicious snack.
tylerm

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:31 pm

Soak the nuts overnight, and snack on them the next day. That way they are closer to the natural state that they are picked in. Nuts dehydrate while they are being transported around. This means that when you eat them they rehydrate in your body - which means they snatch a bit of your liquid from you. If you eat them in a rehydrated state they are easier to digest, and much better for you. (Another top tip I got off Pat Reeves.)
Mary

Postby Cuguacuarana » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:08 am

Transfats basically are fat molecules that have become twisted or reversed. They occur when oils are heated too much (some oils like polyunsaturated fats denature more easily than others like saturated fats).

Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils are both bad, though it is the partially hydrogenated oils that contain the most transfats.

Regular peanut butter has partially hydrogenated oils in it which is one of the reasons the oil doesn't seperate when the jars sit on the shelf. I have read that the levels in peant butter are low enough that they don't have too negative of an effect, but I try and stay away from them as much as possible, especially consdering the negative effects they have on the body. Other reasons to avoid regular peanut butter are the added sugar and preservatives.

Natural peanut butter is more or less safe safe. I don't think it contains any transfats, if it has any, they are from the roasting of the peanuts and are in very small quantities. If you ask me there is no reason to eat the processed stuff. Besides all the crap thats in it, it doesn't taste as good IMO.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating