Low Carb/High Protein Vegan Diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Low Carb/High Protein Vegan Diet

Postby Karma » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:16 am

I am about to embark on a low-carb diet and have just recently become vegan after 10 years of being a vegetarian. I tend to eat a lot of soy products now, and was wondering if anyone has tried a low carb /high protein diet, and where they got their protein from. I just don't want to overdo it on the soy and honestly I still don't know how much is too much soy for a woman.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried any vegetable protein shakes. I've seen them in the stores but they seem like they would taste just awful! Any thoughts on this?? I would appreciate any comments.

Postby Frostfire » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:26 am

Hurray for going vegan! Great step :D :D :D

My thoughts on the typical high protein/low carb diet aside :? , when taking extra protein, try to vary your source as much as you can. You don't want to develop an allergy or anything.

And shakes just take some getting used to. If you blend them, it often takes care of any "chalkiness" and you can put various things in with it to mask the taste like frozen fruit or juice. There are some good non-soy veg. protein powders and/or good powders that are a mix of soy and others (like Pea, rice, etc). Also, I hear you can get hemp protein online, but I've never tried it. If you are serious about getting more protein (and less carbs), these shakes are probably going to be the easiest way to go, but I wouldn't recommend this sort of diet. Carbs are fuel for our bodies. Yes, in excess, they can be bad (like anything), but too few is also bad! Anyway, just my 2 cents/pence worth. I have pretty strong opinions about low carb diets.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby JP » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:08 am

karma, whats wrong with carbs? All healthiest nations on earth, take Japan for instance, which is the healthiest industrialised nation on earth, eat a high carb diet.

If you are trying to shed weight, why not try to change your lifestyle in a sustainable way to make long lasting positive changes rather than embarking on a extreme diet?

Thats just my opinion though :D When the board was set up there was someone who was on low carb vegan diet, danyka, and she had a journal for a wee while as well:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=117
JP
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:33 pm

i love carbs. they are where i get my energy from.

if you want to get toned...why not decrease the calories you intake, and up the aerobic exercise?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Karma » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:43 pm

:) Thanks for the advice everyone. Believe me, I'm not new to exercise or healthy eating. But I do know how my body reacts to what I eat. I"ve been working out for 13 years and been a vegetarian now-turned-vegan for 10. Perhaps I am strange, but I actually have better workouts when I don't eat as many carbs. Also, I want to lean out a little, and am trying to lose 5 pounds in the next 5 weeks. I think it's a very realistic goal. I'm not going too low on the carb, I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend some non-soy protein choices. I figure 3 servings of soy a day (about 25 grams soy protein) isn't over kill. At the same time, I have these shakes from Revival Soy which are highly condensed soy protein and each one has enough soy to equal more than those 3 servings. So I'm just trying to get some variety in my diet. I love nuts but have a hard time eating them in moderation. I would like to try a vegetable protein shake but they look disgusting!!! Anyway, not trying to write a novel here. I agree- carbs are good for you. But we all react differently to them. Men especially can get away with a lot more in the food department (that's my experience anyway)...But thanks again for the replies!![/i]

Postby tylerm » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:04 am

Make some split pea soup. I did the other day, ate half a pot one day, other half the next. 88g protein total. I added potatoes to it, but if you leave those out, less carbs. You can buy mixes with dried split peas and the seasonings at health food stores, very easy to make and you can get it organic as well.
tylerm

Postby Karma » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:33 am

Good idea! I love split pea soup!! And so high in fiber!! I found a really good one in the GreenWise section of Publix last month. Think I'll pick up a few cans tomorrow..thanks again for the idea.

Postby Fruitbat » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:54 pm

I tried high soy low card diet and honestly I didnt see the results I wa shoping for. My body went into starvation mode where it hoards food instead of burning it for energy and i was so hungry i used to go on binges. Also many sy products if you arent buying just plain tofu or tempeh etc are quite high in fat. I recommend you have a carbohydrate and veg at mid-day and veg and protein in the evening. Portion size and increased energy expenditure are the keys to weight-loss. I never eat anyhtign but fruit before noon as this gives my body a chance to detox as well (Fitness For Life book by Dr and Dr Diamond). I also follow the nutritiona advice of Dr Holford in Optimum Nutrition Bible which should see you go to you rideal weight naturally - and even faster if you are exercising lots.
Fruitbat

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating