Arobic question - think i need more iron?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Arobic question - think i need more iron?

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:46 am

Hey all, curious for a few opinions here..

As you prolly know, i race at the local velodrome, and do a fair bit of riding (prolly 9-12hrs a week) as well.

I'm at the point now where i hit my arobic limit before my legs give out (well, they don't now, it seems!) on sprints, hills, etc..

I haven't had my blood tested, but i'm curious if anyone thinks that additional iron might be helpful..? I don't really eat *too* many foods that are particularly high in iron, tho obviously i'm getting 'enough' because i have no problems except when i'm 'hitting the wall'...and i'm still getting stronger and faster every week.

As this is a relatively new level of athleticism for me, should i just keep on training (gonna start doing intervals now) and wait for my lungs to catch up?

Thanks y'all!
Dave Noisy

Postby Heyutang » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:57 am

Hi Dave,

This is my first post! Let me try...

it seems that you answered your question yourself- you hit your aerobic limit before your muscles fail. That obviously points to your lungs. However, it is confusing as doing sprints and hills actually are anaerobic types of training (strongly related to lactic acid). The better your body can cope with lactic acid, the longer you can perform anaerobic- or so I learned at uni.
But I also saw that you do long hours, meaning you do a lot of aerobic training as well. Now that's where oxygen, blood and iron play a big role.
If you lack in iron, you should feel listless, look pale, have pale nails etc. Do you?
And also important would be: how well can you assimilate the iron in your blood? Many people eat a lot of food but do not digest it very well. The result is a taxing of the digestive system, and hup enter a vicious circle, then supplementing with synthetical molecules that our bodies actually do not accept, so they just bombard the receptors with a mega dosage until one molecule fits itself into the receptor.
If you want to add iron, I'd suggest you eat foods rich in iron. Or try homeopathy (stimulating iron uptake by changing your whole system) or acupuncture (stimlate absorption and assimilation by balancing your yin and yang oh yeah dude).

Gulp there goes my first post

T :D M
Heyutang

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:50 am

Thanks for all that!

I'm starting to feel better about my 'condition'. =)

I'm far from listless or pale, and i almost never feel tired or weak. I think my nails are fine too, strong and pink.

I'm guessing this prolly isn't too much of a problem, tho i'll make more of an effort to eat more iron-rich foods...

Yip!
Dave Noisy

Postby John » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:35 am

Hey Dave, this is a bit off topic but I was curious about a couple of things and maybe you can help me. How did you develope your legs so well? Just sprints and hill climbs or do you maybe do squats or something? Also how do you manage 9-12 hours a week? I personally go for 1 hour of fairly tough cycling 5 days a week then rest the weekend. Personally Its my legs that let me down first but I cant really build them as I'm still trying to lose weight :?. I'm desperate to get fit enough to join an ametuer league the start of next year. Have you made a training log?
John

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:50 pm

Hey John - funny thing is i haven't really done much besides riding... But i've been riding fairly seriously for a rather long time (11+yrs), started off-road, got into trials, became a bike courier for two years, then got into road, and finally 2.5yrs ago came into track.

I believe squats and presses would be helpful, but really, nothing is better than riding. Your rides are waaay too short tho. You'd probably be much better off going for one 5hr ride a week than five 1hr rides, keeping your heartrate fairly high.

In cycling, it seems it's more the length of time you ride, not how hard...that really just comes naturally.

Last tip i have is technique....read websites or biking magazines and get tips from other riders. The best tip i can give you is to get into the habit of spinning, which is keeping a high pedal cadence.

You really want to be over 100rpm (i seem to average ~105, 120 is amazing if you can do it.) Most roadies are much lower tho, between 70-90rpm.

You can get a special bike computer for this, or just watch the clock on the one you have for 30 seconds, counting your pedal strokes, then double it to figure out how fast you're pedaling.

Lemme know how it goes. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:57 pm

I agree totally with Dave, try to get much longer rides instead of so many shorter ones. Instead of resting on weekends, take the opportunity to go for really long rides, four hours or more, and use some of the weekdays for resting days instead.

You could actually do a lot of strength workouts on the bike, like riding on high gears, low cadence on a long uphill a specified number of times. Biking magazines are a great way of getting information on these kind of things, or just google for it. Another place to find information is on http://www.tacx.nl/. These exercises are described for using with a trainer, but you could easily do them when riding "for real".
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Shinobi » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:05 am

If you are concerned about your iron levels, go for a blood test. If you are anemic, your doc can advise on treatment.
Shinobi

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:00 pm

Cool site, thanks Fredrik!

Shinobi - i know i'm not anemic, not even close. I'm more curious to find out if more iron in my blood would allow me more arobicism, to coin a new term. =)
Dave Noisy

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating