antioxidants

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

antioxidants

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:58 pm

Here's an interesting tidbit for you - some guys from Pharmanex came in to talk to our course today, mainly to try and flog their supplements, but they also brought a rather groovy and expensive bit of kit for measuring skin carotenoid values - in other words how many antioxidants you have in your body.
Apparently the US average is 19,500. They've tested relatively few people in the UK, mainly at fitness shows, and the average here is 32,500. Being the only vegan (or veggie) on the course I was pretty interested to see how I would do - a few people scored over 40k, but I comfortably whupped them with a score of 62,000 :D A coincidence that the only vegan had the highest score? I think not :wink:
Apparently the highest score in the UK was about 83,000 from some guy who orders 25kg of fresh organic fruit/veg per week(!) and makes loads of homemade juices.
So...... I guess the message is keep getting those organic fruit & veg in, and get that juicer going! It really does make a difference....
ultra_whippet

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:06 pm

Excellent! Vegan Power (and all that.)

Interesting that the UK average is higher than in the US. Does the average Brit eat healthier than the average American, or is the fresh produce more denatured?
Mary

Postby JP » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:58 pm

impressing SW! It would be interesting to hear of there have been any comparative studies about the subject?
JP
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:12 pm

I think the difference in the US/UK scores is mostly because they've tested relatively few people in the UK, and most of those have been at things like fitness shows, so they're testing people who are probably healthier than the average citizen.
It would be interesting to have a look at their database and see what factors make the most difference, but unfortunately the only diet-related question they ask is how many portions of fruit/veg you eat a day, they don't record if you're veggie or not :(
ultra_whippet

Postby jillbren » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:11 pm

Well, I am surprised that people in the UK score better that the US, but I guess that is my patriotism coming through.

When I think about it, most every one I know is fairly unhealthy, and as you know about half the people here are overweight and a third are obese. Even my vegetarian parents dont eat that many actual veggies and fruits.

And, even I , who I consider one of the healthiest eaters I know could add some veggies and fruits to my diet. Right now I am having a snack of dry cereal from a baggie, while sitting at my dest at work. I could be eating a few carrots !!!
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
jillbren

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating