weightloss?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

weightloss?

Postby trap_door » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:32 pm

hey ive been vegan for about two years now and even though ive lost weight from doing so in the beginning, i still want to loose a bit more, especially around my tummy,thighs and bum area!

i currently go to the gym throughout the week - monday to friday for about an hour and a half and eat quite sensibly throughout the day.

however after 7 weeks im still not really seeing any results and im thinking maybe this is down to either my diet being wrong or me doing the wrong excerise.

i eat a hell of a lot of fruit, nuts and soya products, and always make sure i eat before 5pm. at lunch ill eat pasta, beans,vegetables and fruit juice.

at the gym i will do the cardiovascular machines - running,rowing,stepping,skiiing, and then go onto the weights.

i was wondering if all the fresh/dried fruit and nuts are adding to the slow weight loss and if anyone could reccomend a healthy eating plan and excerise regime that would help?

cheers!! :D
trap_door

Postby littlelight » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:59 am

if you're going to do cardio and lifting in the same session, you should do your lifting first, unless your cardio doesn't utilize the same muscles as the weights. even better is to separate them entirely. also your muscles need a day to rest in between doing weights before you do them again - every other day = no no.

do you cheat on the weekends (in terms of eating)? do you keep a food journal? maybe a sample of what you eat (cal intake and such) and when could help people here give more specific advice.
littlelight

Postby littlelight » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:00 am

woops i meant every day = no no; every other day = yes yes!
littlelight

Postby JP » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:20 am

trap_door and littlelight, could you please add location in your profile so people see where you are from, cheers!

trap_door, don't you eat anything after 5pm?

simply put: you need to either increase your calorie consumption slightly, by either walking/cycling rather than driving, taking stairs instead of lifts etc, little lifestyle changes.

You don't necessarily need to cut your calories much at all if you spread your eating a bit to keep your metabolism going, that includes evenings.

I agree what littlelight said about exercise timing.
JP
Site Admin

Postby trap_door » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:04 pm

thats a good idea about noting what i eat on weekends.. i think ill do that.

why should i do the weights before the cardio? why is that important?

and JP - im from reading in berkshire (UK)!! a great place. *sarcasm*
meat is still murder dairy is still rape. Im still as stupid as anyone but i know my mistakes. Ive recognised one form of opression now i recognise the rest, and lifes too short to make others shorter.
trap_door

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:14 pm

I find that if I do excessive cardio it makes me too tired to do weights. Therefore I don't do them as well or as hard as I can, and make fewer gains. At the moment I am doing only ten minutes cardio to warm up before my weights session, first thing in the morning, when I am least likely to be shattered.
Mary

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating