18 gallons of soymilk

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

18 gallons of soymilk

Postby tylerm » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:58 pm

Yesterday, my brother came home from the local big supermarket, and told me they had tons of organic stuff on clearance. They were rearranging their quite big organic section, and I guess are stocking some new brands of products, so they were getting rid of a bunch of stuff.

I went their right away, and stocked up on sooo much stuff. Around 18 gallons of assorted soy and rice milks, 5 lbs of organic brown rice, assorted packages of quinoa, slit peas, other grains, 4 lbs or so of TVP, a couple boxes of organic rice crackers, 18 small 'juicebox' sized rice and soy milks, a couple of microwaveable soup cups, vegan chocolate chip and peanutbutter cookies.. that is all I can remember right now. Under $40 US!!!! The soymilks were on sale for about .79 each, pounds of TVP and rice for the same!! all organic, I couldn't believe it, I totally filled my trunk full. I bought half the soy/rice milk and everything else they had, for the most part

it was like one of those things you hear about, luckily my brother told me and I went right away!
tylerm

Postby Renecarol25 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:03 pm

Are the juice box soy/rice milk things any good? I've had some boxed soymilks before and they all tasted bad. I assume this is because the refrigerated kind have something called Carregen (I know that's not spelled right) which is what makes soymilk taste good. If there are any of the boxed kind that taste decent I'd like to know. Trying to prepare for lunch boxes in the future;)

pretty cool you got such a good deal.
Renecarol25

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:06 pm

I love hearing stories like these tylerm, and I would be exactly the same in your shoes, oh wait I'm act totally the same in my shoes, I strive to get big advantage whenever there's a clearance and then like you, it rock n' roll to the check out.. ;) Bargains like this make up to us what they over charge the organic customer and vegan-organic customer likewise.
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby JO » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:08 am

Boxed? I like Edensoy. The ones that are sold at room temperature. At his point I mix half unsweetened with half barley sweetened and it's perfect. The unsweetened by itself is a little chalky (and a little vegetably) but mixed with "original" flavor is perfect.

Nice windfall, Tyler!
JO

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:51 am

The boxed rice and soy milks are good, not as rich as Silk, but real good. I will give you an update on brands, I already finished off 2 boxes the first day, and just put 2 more and 2 three packs of juice box sized ones in the fridge to cool down. I don't remember the brands right now. There is a large variance in the amount of protein per cup, they range from 1g of protein to I think 11g between the brands! The low fat ones seem to have the least protein. I will post more info regarding this tomorrow, I will have to pull them out of the cupboard and check
tylerm

boxed soy drink

Postby ctchrinthry » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:28 am

I like westsoy soy slender. It doesn't have added sugar, whereas most of them have a ton. It is sweetened with splenda, though, so it still tastes ok(IMO).
At this or that twist of it I feel my slippery self eluding me, gliding into deeper and darker waters than I care to probe.
ctchrinthry

Postby Strix » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:24 pm

Cool, tylerm! I guess this makes up for your "going broke" thread :lol: What great luck!
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating