Is too much protein a problem?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Is too much protein a problem?

Postby tylerm » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:56 am

Is eating too much protein a problem? Lately I think I have been getting tons between TVP, protein shakes, peanut butter, soymilk, tofu etc etc etc. It seems like everything I eat is loaded with protein! I still get lots of carbs via cereal, pasta, beans, etc, and lots of veggies and fruits...
tylerm

Postby kls » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:20 am

my vote would be yes. you'd have to do a few simple calculations to determine your bodies protein requirements. apparently anthing in excess of what your body needs/uses puts strain on your kidneys as they have to filter and excrete all of that nitrogenous waste. occaisionally that's not really a problem, but consistently over the long haul, there may be some cummulative/degenerative issues. in addition i was told (not really sure the original source of this info) that a body can only digest 20g of prot at a time...if anyone has heard something similar or can furnish additional details, i'd be very interested :)
kls

Postby ultra_whippet » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:16 pm

Agreed. Part of the excess is converted to urea and it puts strain on the kidneys if they have to filter too much, too often. It can also result in dehydration if you're not drinking plenty. The rest is converted into carbs and if not burnt up will be stored as body fat.
ultra_whippet

Postby JP » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:40 pm

hmmm... on the other hand tylerm would be hard pressed to get his intake high enough to cause any problems - you would need to take in twice as much at least (just on top of my head, don't have any real figures). The 1g/lbs recommendation falls easily within safe intake, but the point about drinking enough is a good one!
JP
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating