EFAs and Fish

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

EFAs and Fish

Postby Myrddin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:41 pm

It @#$%* me that Fish is always promoted when EFAs are mentioned even though Flax has more Omega 3.

I haven't researched it but I was thinking that maybe cooked fish doesn't have any EFAs in it?
The Fish with EFAs are the fatty deep sea kind which are high in unsaturated fats. But its well known that its bad to heat unsaturated fats because they become unstable and they actually leech EFAs from your body. Heating would destroy the EFAs in the fish and possibly leech EFAs from the body which means that only raw fish is good for EFAs - which is dangerous in terms of food poisoning and parasites. I know my reasoning is correct but are my facts right? If my facts are right so is my conclusion:
Cold pressed flax is the healthiest form of EFA - unless of course the EFAs in fish could somehow be cold pressed extracted? (ethical considerations aside because eating fish is never justified) Does anyone have any negative info on fish oil (health wise of course, we know its immoral to consume it)?

Adam

Adam
"Morality dictates that I live Vegan"
Earth Crisis
Myrddin

Postby barbara » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:13 am

I found these on the Peta website:

"Although fish and fish-oil capsules have been promoted for their omega-3 fatty acids as a means of lowering heart-disease risk, these acids have highly unstable molecules that decompose quickly and unleash free radicals. Free radicals are damaging to living tissues and cells, but that damage can be prevented by antioxidants. The kinds of fatty acids found in vegetables, fruits, and beans lower free-radical activity while increasing antioxidant levels. When you choose vegetarian foods, you naturally and safely lower your risk for heart disease and other serious illnesses. You get twice the level of protection every time you eat."

""Fish and shellfish can also accumulate extremely high levels of toxins—up to nine million times that of the water in which they live—such as PCBs, dioxins, mercury, lead and arsenic, which can cause human health problems ranging from kidney damage and impaired mental development to cancer and even death. Fish oil capsules may also contain harmful contaminants."
barbara

Postby Renecarol25 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:21 am

Yes Fish is poison.. I read every single article on fish that makes into my inbox. I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody would eat fish on purpose. With all we know about mercury poisoning.. I don't get it. But hey people still smoke cigarettes too.

This reminds me of a slogan "Its the 21st Century are you still eating animals."
Renecarol25

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating