Wheatgrass

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Heyutang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:22 am

hi JP

read you are from Finland- I've lived in Pori for three months. Made friends with guys from a band named Circle, know them? Lovely country.

about your questions:

-energy of a grain/sprouts. I believe that there are tests that show that sprouts contain a LOT of nutrients- probably because the sprout is preparing itself to grow up, right? The same is true with wheat grass.
But I actually meant it on an energetic/ invisible level. See, I believe for example that humans have a meridian system with energy flowing into it. So does the planet we live on, and veggies have them as well. They have specific energies with unique characteristics. Can I prove that? No, but some might be able to feel it. It is the same quesion that doctors ask about Chinese medicine: can you prove it? That would lead us to a very long discussion about the limits of medical testing (equipment and its limitations, finances, protocols: how are you going to perform a placebo acupuncture treatment) and that one is a long road. But some are doing their best, and now there are many periodicals devoted to the issue.
You probably won't believe it but I am a very critical person and question everything I read. I try to read up. And, I believe my senses, regardless of what some test may say. Don't forget that medicine for example has changed its views on many things quite radically, as times changed. So I think it is not a bad thing to be progressive. I love it!
One claim of Chinese Medicine is that central to the diet is the grain energy- just because that grain has the potential of the whole plant. That energy is lost in processing. That was thousands of years ago. Note that western science since lately also has "discovered" that whole grains contain more nutrition. Just trying to show that there are several ways of looking at the same thing. One may be proven, another one not (yet- although several thousand years old).

- the cancer claim. refer to the above; medicine (or their big corporate bosses) do not like to invest in something they cannot make money of (like natural wheat and barley grass). Moreover, sadly they will invariably use rats or other animals in their testing. One thing that puts a very big burden on reliance on medical tests (for me). But those studies have been made though. Try a seatch for "barley grass cancer" on pubmed. Here is one of the links there: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... ds=8672754 .

Hope this helps. Sorry if I didn't make you any clearer about the energy thing. Guess you have to work that one out for yourself.

Cheers

Tom.
Heyutang

Postby JP » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:50 am

cool, thanks for clarifying. I have to admit i am allergic to esoteric and mystic nutrition - i don't mind if people have these beliefs but if they are offered as advice to other people i do get jumpy :D

The trouble is that veganism/vegetarianism is often equated with unscientific and esoteric beliefs about nutrition, i believe this stereotype is no longer true exept for a margins of vegan/vegetarian "movement", but it is still there.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Heyutang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:08 am

don't forget that for example in Asia there is almost no vegan/vegetarian to be found out of health reasons. They do it out of religious/spiritual beliefs. They do not care about their bodies that much as they do about their moral or spiritual virtues.
Heyutang

Postby JP » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:31 am

[quote="Heyutang"]don't forget that for example in Asia there is almost no vegan/vegetarian to be found out of health reasons. They do it out of religious/spiritual beliefs. They do not care about their bodies that much as they do about their moral or spiritual virtues.

thats actually kinda true about this forum as well, 99% of people here are vegan for moral/ethical/political reasons.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:58 pm

I started taking wheatgrass (fresh), for two reasons: One, I wanted and liked the detox aspect.
Two, I wanted to get some more greens in me. I find it difficult to eat all the greens I need every single day. That shot of concentrate helps quite a bit.

If I had cancer or a fatal disease I'd try any kooky natural suggestion that sounded sensical to me. Thank goodness I didn't have to try wheatgrass for anything like that.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Heyutang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:09 pm

How valuable wheat grass and other supplements may be though, they are still only supplements and should not be taken for too long a time (an exception may be the superhuman conditions like e.g. topsport, bbing) Some people recommend stop taking them at least one day a week, to let your body recover from the pressure of dealing with those super-nutrients. A balanced diet is still the basis of a balanced diet. Duh :roll:
Heyutang

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating