Wheatgrass

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Wheatgrass

Postby kls » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 am

Does anyone know anything about wheatgrass? One of my friends sang it's praises, so to avoid the labor/expense of pressing my own, i bought a small bottle of the powdered stuff. It ruined a smoothie or two before i quit using it.
has anyone else had any similar experiences? is it so ultra nutritious that i should learn to like it? if someone likes it and knows a good way to use it, i am all ears or this container is going to grow dust on my shelf :lol:
thank you
kls
kls

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:47 am

Haha! Well, wheatgrass is pretty potent and moreso when freshly pressed! It should be used sparingly. If you add it in small amounts to a shake with lots of fruit, you won't taste it at all. Try it that way :)

I was growing my own for a while, but stopped when I moved. I haven't started up again, but now that you reminded me, I shall! I buy trays of it (fresh) at a market and keep it in the fridge. I like spelt grass too; it's sweeter and tastes better than plain wheat.
It can give you some stomach issues (~ahem~) if you drink too much fresh. That's why, if you ever purchase it freshly squeezed, say at a farmer's market or juice bar, it comes in tiny 1/2 to 1 oz shots!
It's a great cleanser. Cleans out the liver and is just an all-around detoxifying beverage. It has protein too.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby JP » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:50 am

I've tried wheat grass once and it gave me a weird buzz and a headache as well, so something was happening.

I've never really seen any good credible source of the benefits of wheatgrass - plenty of health guru pages out there promoting it, but it would be interesting to see some more independent studies?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Rak » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:31 am

I tried it once at the Trafford Centre in Manchester. It was foul, left a lingering horrible after taste and uncomfortable throat.

They've stopped selling it now. Sainsbury's sell some German brand wheatgrass juice drinks.

From what I've read it all seems to be based on a book by Ann Wigmore and there does not appear to be independent verification of the claims made for it.
Rak

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:40 pm

Let me say first I'm not claiming it cures anything :) I'm saying why I like it. And telling him/her (sorry kls :? ) how to use it so it doesn't taste bad.

As far as medical claims, well, most natural remedies aren't exactly embraced by the medical establishment. Aren't vegan diets considered "extreme" by many in the medical community?! We're a bunch of whackos to many.
I can only testify to my experience with it and what I've heard from friends who either like it or find it too strong.
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby kls » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:41 pm

maybe i'll give it another try in my shake. this time about 1/4-1/2 tsp rather that the full tsp i was using before.
somehow though, it boggles my mind to think there could be that much nutrition etc in that little tiny bit of powder. independant studies would be great...i'll do a little poking around and see what is available...will post results... :)
thank you all for the info/suggestions
kls
kls

Postby JP » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:00 pm

I searched pubmed for studies, i only found some very specific cases where wheat grass juice have been tested in treating some very specific condition.

Anyways, if someone has some good solid info, that would be great!

While we are on the subject, why does it give you such a buzz and then perhaps even a headache? What are the mechanics behind that?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 pm

kls, have you heard of Dr. Weil? He's a famous "natural" doctor. I did a quick look to see what he had to say and he says it's a good source of chlorophyll and has anti-bacterial properties, but that no evidence for "most of the claims."
So I don't know which claims he means. But, also, Dr. Weil at one time claimed a vegan diet was best, then began saying fish should be consumed for optimal health and still says that; so...there it is. : :?
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:05 pm

JP, I just heard because it is so potent and concentrated that that's why it acts that way. It can cause diarrhea too :/ some people have to start by taking 1/2 oz shots with food and acclimate their system to it before adding more.

ETA: I just did a cursory search (not exactly in depth) and can only find references to it. Johns Hopkins University mentions it; but there's no study been done on it.
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby stateofflux » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:06 pm

urghh, I feel sick just thinking of wheatgrass. Last time I had a shot I threw up almost immediately and had a bad headache all day. It's certainly never a pleasurable experience and would ruin any smoothie...urrgh
You're all very brave for drinking it, respect.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:20 pm

Rochelle, aren't you allergic to wheat? Maybe that is why you reacted so violently... Someone once bought me a smoothy, and as I knew I was at a vegan venue I drank it grimacing, but felt a bit "buzzy" as Joni puts it. By the end of the drink I liked the taste. Then I got a hot flush, followed by a rash, followed by three days of stomach cramp, massive flatulence, and diarrhea. Of course when I realised that the green in the drink was wheat grass rather than (as I had thought) some kind of seaweed, I figured that my wheat allergy might have played into it. But to be honest I don't know if there is any gluten in it, as it is the grass, not the seed.

I don't see me repeating the experiment to be honest.
Mary

Postby kls » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:29 am

wow-what a varied group of responses!
jp--what conditions has wheatgrass been tested on? did it work?
strix--what does chlorophyll do for people? does dr weil say? it seems to me that since we don't photosynthesize, there wouldn't be much use for it in our bodies. oh... and i am a "her" :wink:
kls

Postby kls » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:06 pm

did 1/2 tsp in my smoothie this morning and it turned out fine. thanks strix!
kls

Postby Heyutang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:06 am

I think wheat grass is one of the most powerful products out there. It is very concentrated - it has the energy of the whole (not yet grown up) plant in it. Indeed a lot of chlorophyl but also many many other nutrients. Some people may get a strong reaction because it detoxes fast. Almost all the symptoms mentioned in this thread are detox symptoms. So better start with a small dose and build up (quite fast). Athletes esp benefit from it as it is a cooling product (yin and lubrifying) which help to take away some of the heat, waste products, etc from the taxed muscles and joints.

Fresh products are even more powerful than the dried powder. So take it easy on those. But in all, a great product. Is used by naturopaths for anti-cancer treatment (opposes free radicals).

Cheers, Tom.
Heyutang

Postby JP » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:35 am

[quote="Heyutang"]It is very concentrated - it has the energy of the whole (not yet grown up) plant in it.

sorry, what do you mean by this? Do you mean that by eating a mustard seed you eat the energy of the whole tree?

[quote]
But in all, a great product. Is used by naturopaths for anti-cancer treatment (opposes free radicals).

ok, all well and good, but why is it so hard to find any evidence backing this up? Or perhaps i didn't search with the right search strings in www.pubmed.com ?
JP
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating