Diet and bone health

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Diet and bone health

Postby stateofflux » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:02 am

Just a reminder, that in addition to B12 (as mentioned in a previous post, vegans who don't supplement can end up with deficiencies, same goes for vegans and calcium) we should also be ensuring that we get adequate amounts of calcium. So eat your kale and spring greens (collards) :D and don't forget to ensure your intake of Vitamin D!

This is a useful article from the Vegan Society website from Dr Stephen Walsh

http://www.vegansociety.com/phpws/index ... PAGE_id=30
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby jillbren » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:37 pm

I have been eating Luna bars for my vit., min, and calcium. Is that ok? Also, why does my cultured soy (soy yogurt) have only 8% calcium? I really like this brand the best, called Whole Soy creamy cultured soy, but other brands have more calcium.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
jillbren

Postby barbara » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:35 pm

I got lazy and started using a supplement. Found out to contain D3! Now that Mary has told me it is sheep sweat, I am eating my calcium instead!
barbara

Postby Frostfire » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:46 am

jillbren - Mary posted a long time ago how to make homemade soy yogurt. All I remember is that it was really easy and if you wanted, you could use a soymilk with a high calcium content :D . I can't find where it was, maybe she'll be kind enough to post again (hint, hint :twisted: ).

Thanks for the link Rochelle, always good to be reminded to eat my greens :D .
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating