why do i crave carbs todos dia?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

why do i crave carbs todos dia?

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:26 am

does my body crave carbs all the time? and even before i go to sleep?
Last edited by V VII Hero on Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby billyoffspring » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:14 am

Hmm, don't know. I crave food in general, usually food with a high caloric value. I guess it would be high carbs too. I'm just always hungry. Maybe with your job and the gym you burn a lot and your body craves more at the end of the day.
billyoffspring

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:41 am

Because you consume a lot of calories in your everyday work, and are bleeding HUNGRY! Feed your body! See it as carboloading. 8) Then you can train harder next day.
Mary

Re: why

Postby JP » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:08 am

[quote="V VII Hero"]does my body crave carbs all the time? and even before i go to sleep?

eat more! :D

And don't neglect eating a decent amount of fats as well. Foods low in fat tends to leave me hungry, so that could be one reason.
JP
Site Admin

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:44 pm

I am the same way, sometimes I am ravenous at night. What I have been doing, which seems to help, is to front load my carbs, eating cereal in the morning, pasta salad or something with lots of carbs through to maybe the early afternoon. Then I usually workout in the afternoon, then eat lots of protein (I love raw tofu, I usually eat a pound a day, dipping it in Braggs Liquid Aminos), and have salad with avacado and hummus or steamed broccoli with nutritional yeast and vegan parmesean or something. I also have a protein shake in the morning, that I started putting natural peanut butter in, along with frozen strawberries, bananna, protein powder, flax seeds.. This seems to keep me satisfied, though I do snack late at night, at 11 or midnight and later. I usually don't go to bed till 3am though, so I figure it isn't too bad. If I eat just lots of protein or veggies and no real good source of carbs like potato, pasta, cereal, etc, I am definately hungrier throughout the day
tylerm

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:52 pm

[quote="tylerm"]I am the same way, sometimes I am ravenous at night. What I have been doing, which seems to help, is to front load my carbs, eating cereal in the morning, pasta salad or something with lots of carbs through to maybe the early afternoon. Then I usually workout in the afternoon, then eat lots of protein (I love raw tofu, I usually eat a pound a day, dipping it in Braggs Liquid Aminos), and have salad with avacado and hummus or steamed broccoli with nutritional yeast and vegan parmesean or something. I also have a protein shake in the morning, that I started putting natural peanut butter in, along with frozen strawberries, bananna, protein powder, flax seeds.

Mmmm. Sounds perfect! Love the sound of that shake.

I will probably try "front loading" my carbs too. (Christ, that sounds weird...) It sounds like it should work.
Mary

Re: why

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:30 pm

[quote="JP"][quote="V VII Hero"]does my body crave carbs all the time? and even before i go to sleep?

eat more! :D

And don't neglect eating a decent amount of fats as well. Foods low in fat tends to leave me hungry, so that could be one reason.

I eat a lot of fat....and I find myself consuming close to 4,000 calories daily sometimes....
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:37 pm

You need it the way you train! Not to mention all that running around with your bands...
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:45 pm

this is something consistent i eat everyday:

i eat one box of cereal throughout the day. i snack on it while i work. I also sometimes have bowls of it with soymilk
the box of cereal is :
1,100 calories
90 carbs, and 110g protein.

then i also have some apples and bannanas.

I eat smartdogs after I lift. 360 calories. 72 g protein. no fat.

that is what i have everyday. but that is just what i have that is consistent.

also to usuallt add to my daily list....
i have nature valley bars, 2 bagels with peanutbutter, pasta, rice, soy, vegetables, crackers, etc.
an entire half gallon of soymilk

i normally consume 2,500 calories to 4,000 calories daily. it varies.

i am trying to be more consistent. and work out an actually plan.

I weigh 150 lbs now. i have gained some fat on my abs. but i also have gained some muscle mass.
V VII Hero

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:26 pm

NOTE TO MODERATOR and V VII HERO: [WHY]

Please enter into the title if possible a more speciific title, thankyou in advance (if possible to fix?)....?
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby Cuguacuarana » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:51 am

IMO you should probably be eating more fruits and vegetables. And a whole lot of the latter. If you ate a pound of raw vegetables a day you would have trouble consuming 4000 calories. Add even more if you aren't satisfied. What it sounds like to me is that you aren't eating enough fiber dense foods. Lots of bulky food activates stretch receptors in your stomach that curb hunger.

Also, I do think its possible to become addicted to things like cereal that are digested easily and convert quickly to sugar. My guess is that even if you are full you will crave these foods until you reduce your consumption of them.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby kettlebellnut » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:55 am

Oh yeah - Panda Puffs are my worst enemy. Damn those Canadian breakfast cereals!
:lol:
kettlebellnut

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:22 pm

[WHY] .....Title wording etc.....

Hey, thanks MODS for lengthening title of [WHY] so as to make a more obvious description. :)
Obscure ones easily get confused with other obscure threads, since they all tend be made up
of casualness and trivial wording...... Anyway, thanks for
putting that to task and doing the quick fix that it needed! :)
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:43 am

[quote="CENTURION 2 CENTS"][WHY] .....Title wording etc.....

Hey, thanks MODS for lengthening title of [WHY] so as to make a more obvious description. :)
Obscure ones easily get confused with other obscure threads, since they all tend be made up
of casualness and trivial wording...... Anyway, thanks for
putting that to task and doing the quick fix that it needed! :)

actually i lengthened the title. :wink:
not the mods.
V VII Hero

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:32 am

Kewl, please continue with that! 8) Helps make thread headings easier to browse.
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating