Creatine

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Creatine

Postby billyoffspring » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:18 pm

How many of you use creatine? I didn't think it was vegan. I thought it was derived from a non-veggie source. Where is the stuff you used derived?
billyoffspring

Postby wannalift » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:14 pm

most brands are vegan. results vary, but it works wonders for me. haven't used it since october, but once i trim down i'm going back on it.
~david
wannalift

Postby tylerm » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:01 am

I started using it a few weeks ago, and it seems to have results. I seem to be able to work out longer and harder, get the last few reps in. It could be psychological, but hey, if I am getting stronger in the process, it's fine.

Does creatine make your body hold more water weight? I heard that it makes your cells hold more water, and that you are supposed to gain muscle while using it, and when you stop, you drop the extra water weight and are more cut looking. Any truth to this?

I hurt my neck and shoulder a week and a half ago, and have been doing lots of running and cardio everyday, and situps everyother day this week. I have still been taking creatine, is this necessary? I plan to start lifting again maybe Monday, but lighter than usual to make sure I am healed. I did the initial creatine loading maybe 8 weeks ago, ran out (I was using the last of some my brother had around the house), then started just doing 'maintenance' levels every day the past few weeks, about 1 teaspoon mixed with water in the morning or before I work out. I plan to stop for 3 weeks at the end of this weekend, then 3 weeks off, 3 on etc etc.. does this sound right?
tylerm

Postby billyoffspring » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:18 am

Hey David,

What brand did you/will you use? Also, you said "haven't used it since october, but once i trim down i'm going back on it." Why are you waiting until you trim down? I do not know how creatine works or what it does. Thanks man.
billyoffspring

Postby wannalift » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:29 am

forget the brand. bought it a vitamin world. the basic reasoning is that it is extremely expensive to derive creatine from meat. most of the creatine sold in stores is 100% synthetic.
i'm more interested in getting to my lean bodyweight at the moment. don't want to put on any more size until i can see my abs. i am projecting by that time my squats and deadlifts are going to be insanely hard and creatine will give me the edge to make those lifts. my advice, wait until you feel like you are maxing out on all of your lifts, and then use creatine to push you to the next level.
i believe creatine helps your muscle cells take in more water. i guess i don't know too much about why it works, but i know i can easily put on 5 lbs in under a month when i am on it. initially at lest.
~david
wannalift

Postby JP » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:58 am

creatine is always vegan, but the stuff that they put with it isn't necessarily, it depends. If you go with pure creatine you should be ok (and then make your own cheap mixes with maltodextorine or glucose!).

I put on about 1kg/2.2lbs when i'm on creatine from water retention. Strength on one rep maxes shouldn't be affected according to studies, but rep strength, that is, ability to squeeze another rep on 6 rep set for instance, should improve. This leads to better muscle growth -> more muscle than before starting creatine.

Vegetarians and vegans have naturally slightly lower creatine levels because no dietary source of creatine from the muscles of animals. I would recommend creatine use for vegan athletes of all kinds.

Few studies about the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=12432177

[quote]
The results demonstrated that consuming a LOV diet for 21 days was an effective procedure to decrease muscle creatine concentration (p <.01) in individuals who normally consume meat and fish in their diet. However, muscle total creatine (TCr) following creatine supplementation did not differ statistically between LOV and Omni diet groups (148.6 4.5 vs. 141.7 4.5 mmol kg-1 d.m.).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=15212753
[quote]
as a group, vegetarians have lower mean muscle creatine concentrations than do omnivores, and this may affect supramaximal exercise performance. Because their initial muscle creatine concentrations are lower, vegetarians are likely to experience greater performance increments after creatine loading in activities that rely on the adenosine triphosphate/phosphocreatine system
JP
Site Admin

Postby billyoffspring » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:19 pm

Is Creatine safe to take? Just curious.

JP: So, do you take Creatine, Maltodextorine, and Glucose? You take them post-workout or when? I'm deciding whether or not to add more supplements to my diet. Is it too soon to add that stuff or not? I'm 3 weeks into working out and am seeing results.
billyoffspring

Postby Cuguacuarana » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:55 pm

[quote="tylerm"]
Does creatine make your body hold more water weight? I heard that it makes your cells hold more water, and that you are supposed to gain muscle while using it, and when you stop, you drop the extra water weight and are more cut looking. Any truth to this?

I think this is true. I pee a lot and look skinnier when I end a cycle. I fully believe in creatine. I take it with juice and feel a significant difference. I have even used the effervescent stuff from GNC and it seemed to work (though not as dramatically). I havn't bought any since becoming vegan though so I don't know if it is.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby JP » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:39 pm

[quote="billyoffspring"]Is Creatine safe to take? Just curious.

yes. NUmerous studies point to this direction, though a critic could say that long term (like years+) use effects are not yet studied - at least any i know of!

[quote]
JP: So, do you take Creatine, Maltodextorine, and Glucose? You take them post-workout or when?

i take creatine with protein and glucose post workout.

[quote]
I'm deciding whether or not to add more supplements to my diet. Is it too soon to add that stuff or not? I'm 3 weeks into working out and am seeing results.

i would not go on creatine yet mate - keep it to your first plateau, i mean when you level on your mass gains for month or two and feel like everything else, training, rest and diet is ok. It gives you additional boost - at the moment you are gaining well as it is, you would not notice any benefits from creatine use yet.

I'd just focus on good overall diet and food intake with some multivitamine and added protein for now.
Strengthshop.de

Strengthshop Europe Facebook page in English

und in Deutsch
JP
Site Admin

Postby kettlebellnut » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:41 pm

[quote]billyoffspring wrote: Is Creatine safe to take? Just curious.

I've wondered about this too. I have heard some horror stories about torn muscles and injuries from it. Anyone here experienced something like this? Are these true or just more internet-isms?
kettlebellnut

Postby Cuguacuarana » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:04 am

I've never read anything about this. I won't say its not true, I really don't know. But, I doubt that there is a link between the two. I suppose that people who take creatine may be more likely to overdo it or something like that. But I think the bottom line is that injuries come from doing too much too soon creatine or no.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:29 pm

I used to take a liquid Creatine for runners/endurance athletes. It was not a Creatine for bulking and did not require loading. It also had none of the side effects of powder Creatine, like dehydration. I really liked it. It was an instant results supplement. It is to be taken just before a workout and it worked for me. I increased my performance, muscle definition, and endurance ( shaved close to 20 minutes off my running time!) -- perfect for a runner! Unfortunately, it's no longer vegan :(. When if first came out, there was a Women's formula, a Men's, and a "Super"-type regular formula. The Women's contained Royal Jelly, but the Men's and "Super" did not. I inquired about it since they had the same basic ingredients and they were basically all the same; so I took the Men's. Then they went off the market for a while and then came back and now they all contain either Royal Jelly or honey! :(
I believe it was the first liquid Creatine on the market; don't know if there are many others.

I liked it because it got into your system quickly and then was washed out. No weight or water gain or dehydration, no cramps, no loading, no addiction (though I don't think Creatine is physically addicting. But I guess anything can be psychologically addicting).

I did notice a decrease in performance when I went off it, but not much. It got me in better shape and to a certain level; so, in my opinion, it was worth it. It felt great to have mega-endurance! I had to make myself stop, lol. I could easily overtrain on that stuff.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:41 pm

i dont supplement.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating