Talking about good books on nutrition...

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Talking about good books on nutrition...

Postby veganmike » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:26 pm

...wish I had one of these.

veganmike

Postby stateofflux » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:14 pm

yeah, I've been oogling that book as well, but it's awfully expensive!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby veganmike » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:37 pm

Indeed, 1$ per 10 pages. :)

If you have some friends at medical school or among physicians maybe they'll be able to get a free review copy for you.
veganmike

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:33 pm

I think I've just discovered where my next cash injection is going :lol: When I get it I don't mind sharing it with a few of you Brits, we can exchange books at some of the festies (so there's no huge postage expenses) :)
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Cuguacuarana » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:24 am

I've been reading Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, and I am really liking it. Some of you may have noticed that I've mentioned it a few times recently. Its not strictly a vegan book, but he basically thinks the fewer animal products the better, and only a tiny bit is at all acceptable. He clearly thinks that veganism is ideal. The basic premise is lots and lots of veggies, legumes and fruits both raw and cooked.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby fredrikw » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:48 am

For us swedish speaking people there is a gret book called "Vegansk näringslära på vetenskaplig grund" (vegan nutrion on a scientific basis). A great book that really helps you understand nutrition and how to eat healthy when you're vegan.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Pete » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:22 pm

I just bought this book today, so i'll let you know what I think in a few days. If anyone's interested I could bring it along to festivals & they can have a look.
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Mary » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:33 pm

I'll swap it for the two of yours I am reading now, if that is okay? So far I really like Doug Hepburn. I have forgiven him for his (shall we say) plonker years. I particularly admire the fact that for somebody who was born disabled (one leg gammy) he got to be the worlds strongest man! Wow! And so pleased he went veggie. :D
Mary

Postby Fruitbat » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:17 pm

I have "The Optimum nutrition bible" by dr. Holford which is not strcity vegan either but all his advice condones the vegan diet and at several points he forwards veganism. I also have "Fit for Life" by Dr. and Dr. Diamond but I find their advice less wise or credible although reaonsable pro-vegan indirectly. I have bought 2 fitness books by a famous personal trainer who gives lots of nutrition and workout information for women too but I will have to go and look at the name of the authot.
Fruitbat

Postby Renecarol25 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:40 pm

I was trying to do the Fit for Life Diet there for a while. So I have that book. I found myself eating about a thousand or more calories of fruit before lunch though. And I didn't have the energy to do my 11 am to noon runs. By the time I got done running and sat down to eat my salad for lunch (sandwiches are a no-no on Fit for Life) I was famished despite all the fruit calories I had ingested. I also have Dr Ornish's Eat more, weigh less. His book makes a lot of sense. I may devote some more time to reading it now.
Renecarol25

Postby tylerm » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:21 am

My girlfriend found the Fit for Life book at her mom's house a couple years ago, and we both read it. I still try not to consume fruit after eating other heavier foods, as I notice I do end up getting gassy. According to the Diamond's, fruit will digest in 40 minutes or less (maybe wrong, but it is around there, haven't read it in a few years) so eating fruit after a meal will just cause it to ferment. Also, I stopped drinking alot of water during meals, which I did often, as the diluting of digestive juices by doing so seems logical to me. I drink lots of water a while before I eat, and try and eat foods that have alot of moisture in them, veggies and such. If I do drink alot while eating (like with really spicy food), I notice I get more sluggish and feel overly full.
tylerm

this is a great book

Postby Heyutang » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:00 am

Hi there,

I am surprised that this book didn't get mentioned yet:

Paul Pitchford- Healing with whole foods

It is a mixture of Asian and Western food traditions. Some people call it their bible! Anyways, it is the best book I have ever read on the topic of nutrition (and believe me I have read many). It seems this forum mainly focuses on Western approaches (carbs-proteins-fats, weighed in grams and analyzed in calories etc.). But there is a whole other universe out there talking about yin-yang, and taking a holistic, healing approach to nutrition. Meaning everyone is different and has different needs, and that sometimes we shoudn't analyze into oblivion and forget the whole picture .
I do think it might help to explain why some people thrive well on a raw diet, some are fruitarians, vegetarians, vegans, even breatharians (they do exist!!), and why others aren't (some meditate a lot e.g., and thus have a lot of yang energy so they only need some light yin food like fruits)
The book basically portrays the vegan diet as the best (the author is vegan), but also describes the benefits and problems with other foods, including meats and dairy and eggs. I dig that, since not everyone feels so compassionate that they shouldn't kill animals, nor should they be forced to change. But showing them the benefits of a vegan diet is necessary, and who knows if they see us healthy strong happy people :D they migth develop an interest?

If anyone is interested in some yin and yang, maybe we can start another tread about it?

Cheers
Heyutang

Postby Fruitbat » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:48 pm

[quote="Renecarol25"]I was trying to do the Fit for Life Diet there for a while. So I have that book. I found myself eating about a thousand or more calories of fruit before lunch though. And I didn't have the energy to do my 11 am to noon runs. By the time I got done running and sat down to eat my salad for lunch (sandwiches are a no-no on Fit for Life) I was famished despite all the fruit calories I had ingested. I also have Dr Ornish's Eat more, weigh less. His book makes a lot of sense. I may devote some more time to reading it now.

I got that book and although there are alot of vey interesting and valuable things in it - I also think that some of their food combining suggestions are not ideal for people with very high calorie demands because they are too restrictive - by the way you can have avocado and tomatosandwiches or just plain salad sandwiched!!! The stuff on fruit I follow, the stuff on limiting wheat consumption I do too, and I try to have only one concentrated food source i.e. carb OR protein with veg at eveyr meal but sometimes it just doesn't provide me with enough energy. Also it means a lot of nice foods shouldnt be eaten.
Fruitbat

Postby Heyutang » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:27 am

I also have several of the Diamonds' books. Although there is valuable information in it; again I feel that it does not fit all. Yes there is truth in the combination theory, but people with a stronger digestion should not worry too much about it in general. An exception could be made in relation to fruit: it digests so fast that it is best eaten apart. People that do have digestive problems (tired after eating, heavy feeling, bloating, gasses, acid regurgitation,...) might fare well with eating proteins and carbs separately, at least for some time, until the symptoms disappear.
Heyutang

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:45 am

If I remember right, in Fit for Life the mention of keeping protein and carbs seperate is more in relation to animal based proteins. I thought they said soy based proteins is fine to consume with carbs. In any case, I do all the time, and have never had a problem. I do find I get a bit gassy if I eat fruit on a full stomach though :)
tylerm

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating