Vegan Honey and Colds

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan Honey and Colds

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm currently in the middle of a cold and needless to say it's pretty unpleasant.
This morning I watched a news clip with a doctor saying cough syrup didn't work for colds, but highly recommended honey. I don't eat honey. I'm not really steeped in the debate about it, nor am I strongly against vegans who eat honey, but I just prefer to give the bees the benefit of the ethical doubt.
Recently a vegan honey has come out. Can a nutrition-savvy person tell me if this vegan honey has the same properties as bee honey that make the latter helpful for colds? If so, how and how often would it be taken? I have gum issues and have to be careful of any kind of sweets, so any method that minimizes any bad effect on teeth and gums would be appreciated.
Thanks.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Vegan Honey and Colds

Postby athlegan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 am

Do you know what the vegan honey is made of? The anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties of honey have traditionally been used for superficial wounds but it's been shown to heal oral wounds too, at least in mice. Once you digest it though, that seems to be the end of honey's effectiveness. The nice, soothing feeling you get from drinking a cup of tea with honey when you have a cold, will likely be the exact same with a placebo like sugar.
athlegan
Site Admin

Re: Vegan Honey and Colds

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:18 pm

I looked around and there are different formulations, but I can't remember them specifically. One I think included lemon.
Honey was recommended by an MD as an effective alternative to cough syrup, which doesn't work at all, according to them. I don't pretend to know, but an MD says drinking it's helpful for a cold, and they might know better than I do----or not. This isn't just an exercise in nutritional polemics. I'm not feeling too bad now, but my cold was miserable yesterday, bordering on nightmarish. It was mostly the heavy malaise.
If the placebo effect of the soothing feeling from vegan honey with tea is all I can get, it's better than nothing. I'll take it.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating