Raw Foodists Who Drink?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Raw Foodists Who Drink?

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Promesas wrote:But don't tell the raw vegans as any type of overt fat is a no no for them. LOL

That isn't quite true. There are a number of "schools". There are the 80/10/10 people who are extremely fat phobic. Other raw foodists eat loads of coconuts, avocados, etc.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby Promesas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 am

beforewisdom wrote:
Promesas wrote:But don't tell the raw vegans as any type of overt fat is a no no for them. LOL

That isn't quite true. There are a number of "schools". There are the 80/10/10 people who are extremely fat phobic. Other raw foodists eat loads of coconuts, avocados, etc.

It's the 8/1/1 people whom I detest the most. And unfortunately, as much as they try to convince both themselves and those they want to convert otherwise, their guru Doug Graham looks like absolute hell. Perhaps google some of his Youtube videos of him giving lectures. He clearly suffers from a range of nutritional deficiencies and it shows from his course and brittle skin and hair, goiter neck and bad teeth.

Dr John McDougall once said that in order for you to be a good spokesman for anything, you must let your actions and appearance work to your advantage and the vast majority of 8/1/1'rs look like hell. Now are they saying that if I eat nothing but melons and bananas all day, I will look like that?? FORGET IT!!
"It's my humble assertion that the best way to lower your cholesterol is: stop eating it"
-Dr Michael Klaper
Promesas

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:08 am

I think a person who doesn't look fit can know how to make people fit even if s/he doesn't bother to do it for themselves. There are also many people with big muscles or flat stomaches who don't know shit, but who are the happy recipients of circumstance and genetics.

OTOH, I agree with you. People are going to operate a bit on an emotional level, so you aren't going to sell them on a diet if you look like crap.

In that regard, I posted some videos I ran across this morning in this thread from an American news show.

At one point the journalist is talking to a raw foodist guru who looks like a warmed over corpse. The journalist politely excused himself before confronting the guru by telling him that he is only 8 years older than the guru, but that the guru looks elderly in comparison.

beforewisdom

Postby Promesas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:13 am

beforewisdom wrote:I think a person who doesn't look fit can know how to make people fit even if s/he doesn't bother to do it for themselves. There are also many people with big muscles or flat stomaches who don't know shit, but who are the happy recipients of circumstance and genetics.

OTOH, I agree with you. People are going to operate a bit on an emotional level, so you aren't going to sell them on a diet if you look like crap.

In that regard, I posted some videos I ran across this morning in this thread from an American news show.

At one point the journalist is talking to a raw foodist guru who looks like a warmed over corpse. The journalist politely excused himself before confronting the guru by telling him that he is only 8 years older than the guru, but that the guru looks elderly in comparison.

I would be interested in seeing those videos. Searched all 4 pages on this thread, Can't find them. :?
"It's my humble assertion that the best way to lower your cholesterol is: stop eating it"
-Dr Michael Klaper
Promesas

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

click the link "this thread" in my last post

beforewisdom

Postby fresherthanlife » Wed May 02, 2012 5:29 am

You can't judge a diet by a handful of people who follow it...heck, if I did that, I'd never have been vegan, because all the vegans I ever knew growing up were sickly. There are other factors to health besides just diet...mental health, physical fitness, dental hygiene, etc. The list goes on. I think we don't really have enough data to "prove" that a particular flavor of vegan/raw/macro/whatever is better or worse for ALL of humankind, from a nutritional perspective. There's a lot to discover.
fresherthanlife

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating