Nutrition during and after exercise question

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Nutrition during and after exercise question

Postby purple_mog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Hey folks,

Exercise type: fast walking (3.5mph plus) on rough and varied ground for 15+miles carrying a light day pack
Duration: 8 hours (including lunch and coffee breaks)

For fun I've started to run gently on some of the downhills and other bits but not more than 1-2 miles in total

So - currently I've been drinking plain water, eating Nakd bars/Trek bars/Clif bars (maybe two bars in total, not two of each!) and have gels as a backup (although not needed often).
Lunch is soup/bagel and tofu sausage at lunch

Questions!

*should I be using a rehydration drink during the walks (I am a sweaty beast at the best of times)?
*If yes can I usefully stick with the low cal ones (I am actively trying to lose weight)

*post-exercise this time after 16.5 miles I used a proper protein recovery drink (normally I just have a 500ml carton of choc soya milk) and feel it did me some good in terms of how I felt afterwards. Any thoughts - soy milk good enough, should I add anything to it? Commercial recovery drinks any better?

Thanking you very kindly :)

PS the frequent long walks are in training for walking the coast to coast next year :D
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Re: Nutrition during and after exercise question

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm

An 8 hour trek/run? I would definitely bring some coconut water along for the trip. :)
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Are you cramping? If not don't worry about electrolytes, just stick to water. If you are, coconut water sounds good, but any commercial sports drink will do (Sainsburys do a passable isotonic lucozade facsimile that's labelled vegan)

As for recovery, choc soya milk should do the trick, but if you are feeling better on the others then go with that.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby purple_mog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 am

thanks all :)

No cramping (just achey muscles the day afterwards, which seems reasonable!) just checking I'm not missing something vitally important :)

cheers
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby skoptic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:35 am

You look all good :) - On the nakd / trek / cliff bars.. I'm leaning towards Trek as they have more protein in them (or try the trek flapjacks too, protein in them as well).

I'm a sweaty betty too - so while it's right that if you're not cramping you might not need, it can't hurt to make sure you have some (often 'race day' means doing more, and sometimes faster than all your training). It doesn't have to be sports drink if you are calorie conscious - these effervescent tablets are 6 cals and give you all your essential electrolytes http://www.nuun.com/ (can get them loads of places in UK)

On recovery drinks - yeah choc soya will be great. Most commercial ones will be without protein (so avoid) or with animal based protein (so avoid) ;)

Good luck - when are you walking?
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby purple_mog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Hey Skoptic!

I'm liking the Trek bars (using the nakd bars as chocolate replacements mostly) and need to order the flapjacks - too little time to make my own :?

Will try the nuun tabs - had seen them and wondered if they were worth trying. I do tend to get headaches post run or post long walk which I wondered if that might be lack of water and electrolytes...

Will check the protein level on the commercial one I tried versus my choc soya - might just need to drink more, oh the horror :lol:

The big date is May 2013 so plenty of time to train etc, but I'm hoping to get into fell running and especially 30miles+ with a work colleague so it all seems to fot together fairly well.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating