Ideas for promoting a bike culture in this city

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Ideas for promoting a bike culture in this city

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm really envious of people who live in a place where cyclists are really tight-knit communities that congregate every weekend, I'd love it if it was like that around here. Anyone have some ideas to promote cycling and unity? I have suggested a bicycle picnic and a fun race, but am in need of some more ideas.
Man On Bike.

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Set up a bike campaigning group, like 'Pedals' in Nottingham and 'Spokes' in Edinburgh. These groups both lobby their local highways dept, and also meet regularly for drinks and rides. Maybe there's a group near you already?

If not, put posters in health food shops, bike shops, 'The Warehouse' cafe etc. saying that you want to network with other cyclists. You could even make some little strip flyers and tie them to the handlebars of parked bikes. You don't need to actively run the group, you just need to be the official point of contact. After that, the group will form itself.

Put on a bike film festival in your city.

Contact local green groups to see if they'll run cycling-related events.
Hiking Fox

Postby Man On Bike. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:32 pm

I remember going on a critical mass in 2004... ended with a veggie barbecue and a bicycle film in a pub somewhere (might have been the Anchor but I didn't know Brum very well back then so I'm not sure). I don't know who organised it, or if there were similar events the next couple of years... but I hope there'll be one this summer, it would be a lot of fun, bikes, booze and barbecue, a winning combination.

If another event like that were to happen and if it was promoted well, I reckon it would bring a lot of cyclists in...

A mini bicycle film festival would be really good... some documentaries such as the critical mass doc that was shown at the london bike film festival, plus a mix of 'recreational' videos ( e.g. bmx / mountain biking etc.) showing as filler, inbetween the main films...

i'm very keen on the whole bike / barbeque / drinks thing although most would agree that bikes and booze dont mix...
Man On Bike.

Postby bob_summers » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:12 pm

you should be onto a winner. there are a lot of people who would like to join a road club but are either intimidated by it, or put off by the associated stuffy social scene (club dinners in a draughty village hall...). i certainly know folk who wouldn't dream of going out with the local RC but would happily have a mass potter down the canal, etc.

i guess the main obstacle is that, in a large city, you need a central meeting point but then have a long ride through urban traffic to get anywhere nice. loads of ways around that though i suppose.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Rochellita » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm on a Greater Manchester Cyclists email list, it's proved to be very useful even though I am not active in the cycling community here, there is plenty of opportunity if I'd chose to be. So I'd say as a publicity tool, set up a list or a web page that draws people in.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 pm

.flux wrote:I'm on a Greater Manchester Cyclists email list, it's proved to be very useful even though I am not active in the cycling community here, there is plenty of opportunity if I'd chose to be.

Good tip, I'm probably going to move back to Mancs, and didn't meet many like-minded people 1st time round.

As for riding in c entral Brum - doesn't it have more canals than anywhere else, if I'm not mistaken? How about some canalside rides?
Hiking Fox

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 am

Speaking of setting up websites...

I set up a myspace for birminghams critical mass, and forgot about it. Next thing I know, it got deleted because I set the age as something like 90. Who the hell are they to delete it? How do they know that bicycle protest isn't 90 years old?
Man On Bike.

Postby bob_summers » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 am

murdoch can do what he likes, he ownz us all now :twisted:
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:52 am

I guess they want people who register to be honest about how old they are, and that they believe that anyone that's over 90 can't use a computer.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:15 pm

A mini bicycle film festival would be really good... some documentaries such as the critical mass doc that was shown at the london bike film festival, plus a mix of 'recreational' videos ( e.g. bmx / mountain biking etc.) showing as filler, inbetween the main films...

There was a bike film festival in Leicester a few years back. I can probably track down the contact details of the organiser, if you like.
Hiking Fox

Postby Daddy Fungus » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 pm

so the brum critical mass page is defunct. should we make a new one? this discussion is also goin on the mailing list i believe.

M.O.B- you gonna be at canon hill tomorrow? i might show up if i can get up in time
Daddy Fungus

Postby Man On Bike. » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Didn't find out about cannon hil park until it was too late. couldn't go anyway as i had to start work at 7. did you go?
Man On Bike.

Postby Daddy Fungus » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 am

i was all set, but as soon as i stepped out the door it was pissing it down, when it stopped i felt it was too late.

anyway, i should be there on friday. i had a chat with the guys at "on your bike" and theyve asked me if we can wait up for them this time. they close up shop at 6 so if we give em a few minutes, we'll have some more people to come with. apparently we went off without em on the last ride.
Daddy Fungus

Postby tanya » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 am

A good way to create a close-knit local bike community is to set up a forum for cyclists specifically in your area. That is if you have the skills to do it or know someone who can do it. And who knows, maybe one already exists in your area.

We have a fairly active one in our area and its created a really strong community feeling. Lots of local cycling events have occurred because of ideas discussed on the forum.
tanya

Postby Man On Bike. » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Ok I've started a free forum and may set up a website

Gonna print some cheap business cards (about £5 for 100) and hand them out to all cyclists I see ( I did this last year but messed up )
Man On Bike.

Next

Return to Cycling Forum