Vegan Bicycle Products

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan Bicycle Products

Postby jackreskal » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 am

I have done a fair amount of research into vegan bicycle products. I have compiled it all, hopefully some people here will find it useful. Please add any information you have that I do not.

Update: Schwalbe tires are now vegan!

These brands of tires are vegan: Bontrager, DMR, Kenda, Maxxis, Michelin, No Tubes, Panaracer, Schwalbe, Specialized, Vittoria, Vredestein

These brands of tires are NOT vegan: Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli

Note that Schwalbe tires were formerly not vegan, but they have made a lot of changes to their ingredients, and they are now vegan. Schwalbe tires more than a few years old are not vegan.

Brake/derailleur cables: Sometimes coated with Teflon or Tefzel (both produced by Dupont which tests on animals). I believe stainless cables are not coated with either, but I am not positive.

Brake/derailleur housing: Sometimes lined with Teflon and/or reinforced with Kevlar (both producted by Dupont which tests on animals). Still looking into what brand doesn't contain either.

Pedalite/Green Oil: Ecogrease is NOT vegan. Despite the company's claim that all of their products are vegan, their Ecogrease contains beeswax. (they don't hide this fact, it's right on their website; but they still call it vegan, apparently they consider beeswax vegan...) Their lube (Green Oil), degreaser (Clean Chain), and bike cleaner (Green Clean) ARE vegan, only their grease (Ecogrease) is not.

Boeshield T-9: Vegan. No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing, no Teflon. HOWEVER, Boeshield is owned by Boeing, and I believe that Boeing is a large producer of drones for the US military. So you may want to avoid supporting the company for that reason.

Phil Wood: No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing. HOWEVER, their aluminum bottom bracket cups contain Teflon (which is produced by Dupont which tests on animals). None of their other products contain Teflon. Therefore everything other than debatably their bb cups are vegan.

Dumonde: All products are vegan. No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing, no Teflon.

Buzzy's (producer of Slick Honey grease): All products are vegan. No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing, no Teflon.

Finish Line: No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing. However, some of their products contain Teflon (which is produced by Dupont which tests on animals).

White Lightning: No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing. No Teflon, HOWEVER White Lightning Clean Ride contains Cerflon which is similar to Teflon. I am still waiting to hear back from Cerflon regarding animal testing and animal ingredients. Therefore all White Lightning products are vegan with the possible exception of Clean Ride.

Drislide (producer of Bike Aid; good oil for lubing cables/housing and pivot points): All products are vegan. No animal ingredients, no animal testing, no third party animal testing, no Teflon.

I also looked into some suppliers of oxalic acid which can be used to remove rust. If you use oxalic acid, be careful to keep animals away from it, as it is toxic, and dispose of it properly (diluting with baking soda or baking powder before pouring down drain works well if I remember correctly; Clabber Girl and Fleischmann make vegan baking powder). These are the three companies I heard back from:
Savogran: No animal testing, no third party animal testing.
Dafna: They don't test, they are unsure if any products they resell are tested ("The formulated products we manufacture and sell like detergents and cleaners are not tested on animals. We have not checked all the products, primarily raw materials, we resell though.")
Rockler: Refused to answer, probably does test on animals.

I am still waiting to hear back from some other companies.

Most of the above information is from my own inquiries. I still have the emails so if anyone wants them word-for-word or wants me to forward them, just ask.
Last edited by jackreskal on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackreskal

Re: Vegan Bicycle Products

Postby Andrewc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for the comprehensive list, jackreskal, I'm in the market for some new tyres for the summer and was dreading have to go explore my options!
Andrewc

Postby jackreskal » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:07 am

Glad I could help, Andrew!

UPDATE ON SCHWALBE TIRES: Schwalbe has changed a lot of their ingredients to synthetic in the last few years, and Schwalbe tires ARE NOW VEGAN. Schwalbe tires from a few years ago may not be, but currently produced Schwalbe tires are vegan.
jackreskal

Postby fatload » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:08 pm

Are you sure Continental is non vegan? This post seems to suggest that they are:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19197&start=45#p422824
fatload

Return to Cycling Forum