Olympic cycling

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Olympic cycling

Postby baldy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:40 am

The Olympic cycling road race is literally coming past my house, anyone have any info about it so I can build up my hype?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Olympic cycling

Postby skoptic » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 am

Oooh - you lucky b'stard!

So it's all happening 28th (mens) & 29th (womens) July ... link to the full route below. Men start at 10am Women at 12.. so not sure what time they come past yours....

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/D ... eutral.pdf
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 pm

lucky.
I am totally jealous.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby ColleenE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:54 pm

SOOO JEALOUS!!!! ENJOY!
ColleenE

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 am

Mark Cavendish is one of the favourites, and the whole mens team will be built around getting Mark to the finish in the best condition, and controlling the race to ensure a bunch sprint. So cheer anything in a GB jersey, as they may well be on the front, chasing moves down, or controlling the speed to keep it high. The last lap, they will certainly be on the front.

Germany will be controlling the race too, hoping for a bunch sprint, as they have Greipel, who is very fast, and has already won two stages of the tour, in the last few days.

America may, if Farrar is in any condition, although he crashed three or four tomes on Wednesday and once, badly, yesterday, at the Tour, so who knows what condition he will be in.

Largely, it depends how tired everyone is after the Tour. And how badly injured.

Try to watch the Tour on Eurosport or ITV4 to get an idea of what is happening.

Mark is our man !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Herbsman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Sagan
Herbsman

Postby skoptic » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 pm

[quote="Herbsman"]Sagan

nah.. Cav ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Alistar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

Yeah too flat for Sagan if it comes down to a sprint and Cavs there. He's a pretty good allround rider though so is definitely a medal prospect! Needs Cav to fall off, or somehow get away from him to win gold.

With Froome, Wiggans, Millar working with other sprinters teams, can't see many getting away and staying away. The only weak link is Cav in the GB team on the 9climbs of box hill. But even then they should be able to tow him back to most breaks on the lead-in to the finish unless riders like Boonen, Cancellara, Thor and perhaps EBH somehow get a decent gap and work together.

Going to be a war of attrition with various "selections" occuring during the race. The field is going to get blown to pieces I reckon. Any country winning the gold will still have to ride the perfect race :)
Alistar

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 am

Long way from top of Box Hill to the finish, so I reckon they can drag Cav to the finish, even if he gets dropped last time up.

And Cav works on passion......as they say, his figures aren't that good, he doesn't produce the watts of a world class cyclist. Yet, when he sees the line, he is possibly the greatest sprinter the sport has ever seen. Certainly the greatest of his generation. So the chance of a gold medal in his own country will get him there.

Depends a little on how well everyone comes out of the Tour. I'd guess Sagan will take longer to recover, being so young.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Alistar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:53 am

Yeah Good luck to him! :)
A tiny frontal surface area seems to be Cav's main advantage. Short little arms, narrow shoulders, powerfull mid-section and powerful short legs. Couple that with fantastic technique, and uncanny ability to read a sprint. He seems to always make the right decisions, lead-out or not! He can be 30 riders back, boxed-in with 1km to go, with no leadout, and can still win! :shock:

Noticed in stage 2 when Cav went head to head with Greipel and won, just how much bigger and less aero Greipel was front-on in comparison. Griepel looked twice the size!
Also on the Champs-Elysees was interesting seeing Sagan make a late surge from way back in shelter. As soon as he went out into the wind his faster speed and greater momentum was instantly nullified. Within a split second he was no faster than Cav. Power - resistance = speed. With this equation Cav will always win.

Anyway a bunch sprint favours the NZ team (all 2 of them :( ) so I hope we can get a tow on the back of the major players. But I don't see them there at the end unfortunately.
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Wiggins to deliver perfect lead out, doesn't pull off, TTs right to the line to win it. Now wouldn't *that* have the toys out of the pram!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby baldy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:39 am

everyone watching?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Alistar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 am

Ha! It may be in Flemish but at least I'm watching! :lol: Everything in check so far. No need for anyone to panic back in the main peloton...Oooo! Except for those that have just crashed! :(
Alistar

Postby baldy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 am

do we need to worry about two australians in the lead pack?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:13 pm

ok scrap that he didn't catch the lead group.
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cycling Forum