Weird knee problem when cycling - any thoughts?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Weird knee problem when cycling - any thoughts?

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Hello all, I've just come back from a cycling holiday, that had to turn into a walking and pub holiday when I got loads of pain in my right knee. Can any of you shed any light on what it could be?

Basically, I did about 45 miles one day, mostly on road, and felt fine afterwards. Then two days later I was about 10 miles into the next ride, when my right knee kept hurting each time I pushed down on the pedal. The pain got worse and worse, until about 10 miles later, after a rest, I got back on the bike and an excruciating pain shot up my leg. I got off and pushed the bike and was able to walk OK, but as soon as I tried to pedal I was in agony. My knee now feels a bit tender, but I can walk OK. There's no swelling at all.

Some background info: I've cycled longer distances than this in the past and had no problems at all, though I have got out of the habit of cycling this last year, so 40 miles was a lot in one go. I was on a newish road bike. My previous day-long rides have been on my old mountain bike. My right leg is just a little longer than my left, but not enough to cause me any real probs (apart from falling over more than most people). Also, I have sciatica on my right side, that's been troubling me for about a year, but not enough to affect my day to day activities.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'm baffled.
Hiking Fox

Re: Weird knee problem when cycling - any thoughts?

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 pm

I had weird weird knee pains. Hurt so bad.

Then I changed my bike seat height and it got fixed.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Sounds like a typical example of increasing the volume too fast, ie you're doing more hours in the saddle that you're used to. To steep increase in training volume is a quite common reason for getting knee pain.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Sorry to hear about the holiday and knee pain.

The mention of new bike might point at a setup / position cause like Rodolfo says. An inch here or there can have a huge change on pains / injuries. A low or pushed back seat can cause quite a bit of stress on the knees. But like above - if that's a 1st ride without many miles before, it could easily be overuse too (or a subtle mix of the 2)!

The bike setup thing can be fixed with a helpful friend a piece of string and a quick google search, but the overuse is not quite as simple! Hope it's better now
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks for these replies. I think I just overdid it one day and strained summat.

I did consider the saddle height issue, but it was up pretty high.
Hiking Fox

Postby skoptic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]Thanks for these replies. I think I just overdid it one day and strained summat.

I did consider the saddle height issue, but it was up pretty high.

zero > hero .. but at least now you are at hero status :)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Return to Cycling Forum