No love for the vegans?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

No love for the vegans?

Postby Nikko » Thu May 31, 2012 5:09 am

I dunno about you folks but I've noticed there's not much love out there on other MTB forums for us vegan weirdos.

Whenever someone posts a thread looking for other vegan riders or asking about vegan friendly products etc they get shot down for either "pushing" their beliefs or get told you're nuts you'll never be fit enough.

I'm really glad I found this forum for this reason. Any Brisbane MTBers in the house?? If so shout out so I know you're out there :)
Nikko

Re: No love for the vegans?

Postby fredrikw » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 am

I think it varies a lot. I don't have this experience, and I think this behaviour reflects on other topics as well and makes the forum/community useless. One thing I've noticed helps is just being there, responding in a civil and calm manner, it's so easy to shoot down stupid comments without sinking to their level. Can be a bit frustrating though :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/bike-chat is the only one I use regularly.
It's UK based with almost entirely UK riders and probably less than 10 vegans on there.
I don't get any problems.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Konstantin » Thu May 31, 2012 2:12 pm

[quote="Nikko"]or get told you're nuts you'll never be fit enough.

You may want to consult this: http://www.greatveganathletes.com/cyclists
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby tal » Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Same thing goes with just about any strength training forum I've ever been involved with.

Just have to make sure you don't make any extraordinary claims and not get wound-up/aggressive, otherwise it's very easy to alienate yourself.
tal

No love for the vegans?

Postby Nikko » Thu May 31, 2012 11:30 pm

It's not major issue, I don't bite back when people try to start arguments I just ignore it and I always answer honest questions with honest and polite... er...answers, I'm all about making friends :) It's just nice to have somewhere to ask questions and get answers from like minded folks.
Nikko

Return to Cycling Forum