Starting Distance Cycling- charity fundraising

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Starting Distance Cycling- charity fundraising

Postby blinki » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm considering doing a cycle to raise money for a charity. I've not been a big cycler since I was a kid but I do a bit in the gym. I'm comfortable at about 12 miles per hour and going around 10 miles but I've not properly pushed myself with it- I plan to in the next week to see how I do.

My google-fu is failing me so I was wondering if you guys could help or point me in the right direction. I'm thinking about doing 30miles- on the basis of there's 30mile canal handy I can cycle along. Does that seem a reasonable distance? There's an adjoining canal which could take me another 30 miles but I suspect going for 60 is a bit too ambitious.

Any good training plans? Or should I go with just cycling as far as I can a few times a week? Ideally I don't want a long training plan- is 6-8 weeks realistic? I'd like to push myself because the more impressive the distance looks the more folk are likely to donate
blinki

Return to Cycling Forum