I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

Postby GY Jon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 am

I've just introduced myself to the main forum, so I thought I'd say hello more directly to my fellow cyclists.

I'm Jonathan from the Welsh borders, mostly an audaxer and very occasional mountain biker, formerly a far-too-keen time-triallist. I see most of you are MTBers so I was wondering are there any other audaxers on the forum? It's a rather odd (but beautifully formed) backwater of cycling, but not one that (literally) caters for vegans too well...
GY Jon

Re: I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

Postby vCLaW » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Hello and welcome from another audaxer (as well as a bit of mountain biker etc).
Though I haven't actually done any audaxes at all this year - mostly because I've been doing more running instead, and busy with other things.

I'm thinking I might try and do some more next year. Maybe even that French ride...
vCLaW

Postby kallefs » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Welcome Jon, all I have done in terms of longer rides are cycle touring.

vCLaW wrote:Maybe even that French ride...

Ahh, a little ride on the French countryside, see the ocean and such. Seems refreshing :)
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:08 pm

My mate is vegan and rides audaxes - I'm gonna be doing one with him in October, it's on Saturday the 16th, starting from Droitwich
Last edited by Herbsman on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbsman

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:25 pm

If I can ride it in 56x13 fixed, and its all over in nineteen and a half minutes, I'm in ! :D

Clearly I've never ridden an Audax, but my old mate Dave Poutney was king of the Audax for many years, I seem to remember. Windsor-Chester-Windsor and all that malarky.

He had a beard, of course, which was compulsary for Audax riders in the 1980s.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:59 pm

I thought it still was.
Herbsman

Postby philthy builder » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I remember talking to a guy at the finish of a 200k audax near brum.He was fitting his lights to ride back to Leicester where hed ridden from to ride the 200k event.Audax riders are hardmen!
philthy builder

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Did he have a beard ?

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:32 pm

What's an audax? I'm not really an mtber; I'm just pretending to be one! I'm really all about long stuff on the road. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Mr. Cleetus wrote:What's an audax? I'm not really an mtber; I'm just pretending to be one! I'm really all about long stuff on the road. :)

Hey......I've just realised I've been called a mountain biker too !

I'm outraged !

An Audax is a silly long distance thing on the road, Like Windsor-Chester-Windsor, with is 600km, or something silly. Its unsupported, and non-stop. And you have to have a beard. Thats all I know !

JohnBarleycorn

Postby Gastroplodder » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi from another vegan Audaxer!

Well maybe a slightly reluctant one recently, only 18 points this season :oops:

So where's this ride with vegan cake then :?: :wink:

NikW
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby philthy builder » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:13 pm

JohnBarleycorn wrote:Did he have a beard ?
Yes,and a washed out old jersey and some of those tudor tights.And he was riding a Mercian,so a real audax man.
philthy builder

Postby philthy builder » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Mr. Cleetus wrote:What's an audax? I'm not really an mtber; I'm just pretending to be one! I'm really all about long stuff on the road. :)

An Audax is like a sportive but a fraction of the cost and ridden by proper cyclists on either fast touring bikes or training bikes.Riders get points for riding events and can enter the Paris-Brest-Paris with the right amount of points.I think completing a 24hr time trial also qualifies a rider to enter PBP.Am I right?
philthy builder

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:21 am

philthy builder wrote:
JohnBarleycorn wrote:Did he have a beard ?
Yes,and a washed out old jersey and some of those tudor tights.And he was riding a Mercian,so a real audax man.

Fantastic ! My early cycling years were surrounded by men like that.....and some women too, disturbingly !

Do they still make those Tudor tights ? I suppose it doesn't matter, as a true Audax man would keep them for at least thirty years !

JohnBarleycorn

Postby Gastroplodder » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:29 am

Just reread Jonathan's post properly - so there aren't vegan cake audax controls after all :( Sod it, thought things had improved!

Seriously though one of the things that encouraged me to make the transition from veggie to vegan a couple of years ago was the memory of a young, relatively inexperienced, vegan, audax rider called Juliet who would mostly sustain herself via a saddlebag of home-made flapjack. She failed to complete the tough Brian Chapman 600km (that's Chepstow - Anglsey - Chepstow, there are hills) in her first year of riding but was back the following year to complete successfully. So any excuse I, as a much more experienced AUK, had of needing dairy to sustain me through long rides fell to dust!

The above mentioned Dave Poutney has organised for many years two classic, tough, but beautiful rides not far from the Welsh borders, the Elenith 300 and the Kidderminster Killer 200.

I'm not sure a 24hr ride on it's own is accepted as a PBP qualifier anymore, I think you have to do a Super Randonneur series of a 200, 300, 400 and 600km earlier the same season. Looks like there may be a shortage of places next year and BRM audaxes completed this season will give priority. Qualifying for PBP 2010

I wrote an 'Intro to Audax' for the Vegetarian Cycling and Athletics Club newsletter earlier in the year in an attempt to temp new riders. There's a copy on my new blog here

Nik
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Next

Return to Cycling Forum