1 x 10 set up

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

1 x 10 set up

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 am

Has anyone got any experience of running a 10 speed cassette on a MTB? I'm seriously considering going to a 1x10 set up but it's so costly at the moment, want to be sure before I commit!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Re: 1 x 10 set up

Postby bob_summers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm

you think that's costly... i'm just pricing up replacing a worn-out campag 11 drivetrain. horrific!

from what i've read, 1 or 2x10 seems to make a lot of sense (unless i've been blinded by marketing!), whereas i haven't really noticed any benefit of going from ten cogs to eleven on the road.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Surely thats nine cogs too many ?

Or should I not bring my unhealthy fixed gear obsession to this thread ? :D
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Cheers Bob, seems most comment re: 10 speed is very positive. I struggle to change chainrings because of my bad thumb, so would be beneficial to loose the shifter if possible. Less maintenance is always a good thing and for DH I don't need a huge gear as the gravity does a lot of the work.

JohnBarleycorn wrote:Surely thats nine cogs too many ?

Or should I not bring my unhealthy fixed gear obsession to this thread ? :D

You may have the legs to pedal up the Malverns in a single gear, but I can guarantee I never will! :lol:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:57 pm

I've only heard good things about the 10sp systems out there, apart from the price :) running 1x10 makes a lot of sense actually, even for XC and marathon racing. Something I'd definitely consider when it's time to switch up the derailleurs on my bike.

Getting extra cogs is generally a good idea, both if you aim at increasing the range or having smaller steps between gears, both makes a lot of sense from a performance point of view.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby GY Jon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 pm

9 gears made sense, although I got by on 7 and 8 just fine, extra gears after that are just silly. I'm on 10 speed Campag and the chains don't last, the chainrings are made of (hopefully vegan, but never asked) cheese and a bit of British road filth and the indexing goes random :evil: . So there's a bad thing about 10 speed, another bad thing is that I've just realised I'm an old git, bug'r :roll:
GY Jon

Postby bob_summers » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 am

fredrikw wrote: having smaller steps between gears ... makes a lot of sense from a performance point of view.

that's why i felt 11v was a bit excessive for me - i find myself shifting two cogs where i'd usually shift one!

personally i haven't noticed much difference in durability from 9v Jon, although there is certainly a sting in the wallet when it's time to replace. at least there's no need for the extortionate "11v only" chain tool....

that said, i'll certainly replace my MTB stuff with 10v when i have to - not sure if i could lose a chainring though...
bob_summers

Postby philthy builder » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 am

GY Jon wrote:9 gears made sense, although I got by on 7 and 8 just fine, extra gears after that are just silly. I'm on 10 speed Campag and the chains don't last, the chainrings are made of (hopefully vegan, but never asked) cheese and a bit of British road filth and the indexing goes random :evil: . So there's a bad thing about 10 speed, another bad thing is that I've just realised I'm an old git, bug'r :roll:
Its not about what works or what we need anymore its all about slick marketing and fashion.Im an old git too when it comes to chainsets and gears and hate thin weak chains that break and whoever thought of those crappy hollowtech bracket axles where the crank is held on with two small bolts deserves f**kin with the sharp end of one.I was advised to check the tension of the cranks before each ride!WTF I never once checked the old tapered one and had no problems at all.Same for chains ,if a bike has a shimano or sram chain
fitted,take it off and chuck it in the bin,the only ones that work are KMC.Sorry if that turned into a rant!
philthy builder

Postby fredrikw » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm

yeah, there will always be those opposing progress ;)

as long as we see the pro's conquering the alps and grueling TT's with the same equipment we're talking about I think we can safely assume they'll be sturdy enough for us mortals :lol:
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby vCLaW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:42 pm

fredrikw wrote:as long as we see the pro's conquering the alps and grueling TT's with the same equipment we're talking about I think we can safely assume they'll be sturdy enough for us mortals :lol:
Those pro cyclists who have pro mechanics to maintain it, and replace the chain after each race...
vCLaW

Postby philthy builder » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 pm

vCLaW wrote:
fredrikw wrote:as long as we see the pro's conquering the alps and grueling TT's with the same equipment we're talking about I think we can safely assume they'll be sturdy enough for us mortals :lol:
Those pro cyclists who have pro mechanics to maintain it, and replace the chain after each race...

Thats right,replace everything after each race ,or replace it before use with what the pro cyclist chooses rather than that which his sponsors are told to promote as this years fashion for us mortals.
philthy builder

Postby GY Jon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:10 am

The revolution starts here! We shall march on Campag, Shimano and SRAM and demand kit that works, kit that lasts, death to carbon fibre, arise fellow cyclists of steel! 8)
GY Jon

Postby fredrikw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:57 am

You don't need a pro mechanic to maintain and keep a drive train in good shape, not even pro skills, just some common sense. Conservatism never leads to progress, but if you're happy with that I say stick with what you have. For us who's always looking at increasing our experience and performance, new inventions are more than welcome.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am

fredrikw wrote:stick with what you have

while it's still supported :twisted:
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 am

bob_summers wrote:
fredrikw wrote:stick with what you have

while it's still supported :twisted:

yeah, that's the best way of dealing with conservative reactionaries, no support! :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cycling Forum