Cyclocross

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Cyclocross

Postby Is it really so strange? » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm just curious if anyone here races cyclocross?

I just started this season and I'm absolutely in love with the sport. While I really enjoy road cycling, the balls-out all conditions style of racing is a lot more fun and it really improves your bike handling skills.
Is it really so strange?

Re: Cyclocross

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:58 pm

I couldn't cope with having to clean the bikes after every race. Cyclocross in Britain is usually run off in deep mud. I'm not good at cleaning bikes. Idle !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Is it really so strange? » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Pssh, Cleaning with a hose takes about 10 minutes.... Just use a good lube on the drive train and every things fine. We've lucked out this year in New England in regards to muddy conditions, but bikes still get pretty dirty. A lot of people here are using singlespeed bikes for sloppy conditions so the drivetrain doesn't get clogged
Is it really so strange?

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 am

I did a few cyclocross races here this past season (spring here now). I had a blast even tho I was pretty bad at it! I did a couple of them on a single speed and really enjoyed it - mostly because it weighed half as much as mine which was helpful when shouldering it for the 100th barrier. We had some dry and some incredibly muddy. mud is good. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 am

would love to. i considered it but i could only get to three of the races in the local series without a car. there are ways around that of course, so maybe next winter.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:40 am

[quote="Is it really so strange?"]Pssh, Cleaning with a hose takes about 10 minutes.... Just use a good lube on the drive train and every things fine. We've lucked out this year in New England in regards to muddy conditions, but bikes still get pretty dirty. A lot of people here are using singlespeed bikes for sloppy conditions so the drivetrain doesn't get clogged

Thats ten minutes too long !

I'm elite level when it comes to idleness ! :D
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby fredrikw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Being a MTBer I ride ride in mud more or less all year round, and if all I'd do with my bike was hosing it down for 10 minutes I'd be swapping parts all the time. Cleaning your bike is not all about making it look shiny, but rather making sure all moving parts are working properly, being lubed or greased, and as free from mud, sand, gravel and various other stuff that'll wear it down in no time as possible. Hose for 10 minutes is more about appearance :D

I do have a CX bike for winter training, but I don't race. Usually when cross season starts I have just come out from a five month racing season, so I'm quite happy having a period off from intense training and racing. But it looks like fun, although a bit too short for me, slow starter as I am I enjoy races that are 4+ hours.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Is it really so strange? » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:26 pm

[quote="fredrikw"]Being a MTBer I ride ride in mud more or less all year round, and if all I'd do with my bike was hosing it down for 10 minutes I'd be swapping parts all the time. Cleaning your bike is not all about making it look shiny, but rather making sure all moving parts are working properly, being lubed or greased, and as free from mud, sand, gravel and various other stuff that'll wear it down in no time as possible. Hose for 10 minutes is more about appearance :D

Well of course I don't neglect the mechanical stuff, but I find that aspect of it's not a huge deal either. Just a bit of chain cleaning and lubing. Maybe the level of dirtiness between MTB and cross is different but the whole maintenance isn't a big issue. It's good when you ride off-road to go through everything at-least once a week make sure it's in good working order.

Anyway I hear you about the 5 months before cross season. I didn't race, but I came from 6 months of training on the road without much break in-between seasons and I'm absolutely burnt out, I feel like I'm a candle burning at both ends. I have enough energy for one 50 minute race a week and thats it. I have to be really careful about training.

I almost can't wait till the end of the season so I can rest for a few weeks and have a social life.

Cross is much different then longer races that focus on endurance. It's basically going at your threshold for 50 minutes.
Is it really so strange?

Postby fredrikw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm

I think what keeps me from it the most is not the energy to actually do it, but the effort of mentally prepare for a race...

[quote="Is it really so strange?"]Cross is much different then longer races that focus on endurance. It's basically going at your threshold for 50 minutes.

yeah, it's like xc racing with some running included :) I'd however hope you're above your threshold, it's racing after all :lol:

speaking of cx, mud and running
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gastroplodder » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:20 pm

[quote="fredrikw"]I think what keeps me from it the most is not the energy to actually do it, but the effort of mentally prepare for a race...

[quote="Is it really so strange?"]Cross is much different then longer races that focus on endurance. It's basically going at your threshold for 50 minutes.

yeah, it's like xc racing with some running included :) I'd however hope you're above your threshold, it's racing after all :lol:

Love the video - all those rusting bottom brackets - the commentator didn't even mention some of those guys doing it single speed :)
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby fredrikw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:25 pm

well why would he mention it? people have been running single speeds and fixies longer than geared bikes, it's just now when it's become a fad in cycling people feel the need to push that as something which makes it easier/harder/cooler/truer/whatever ;) it's just a choice of equipment after all :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Is it really so strange? » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:45 pm

And I thought the 100 meter sand pit at last weeks race was cruel.
Is it really so strange?

Postby Gastroplodder » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:32 am

[quote="fredrikw"]well why would he mention it? people have been running single speeds and fixies longer than geared bikes, it's just now when it's become a fad in cycling people feel the need to push that as something which makes it easier/harder/cooler/truer/whatever ;) it's just a choice of equipment after all :)

Yes, thinking about it probably the best choice if your going to drop your bike on it gear mech then drag it through the mud :)

Gastroplodder

Postby Gastroplodder » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:37 am

[quote="Is it really so strange?"]And I thought the 100 meter sand pit at last weeks race was cruel.

By the looks 'cruel' is a fair description. So I guess they call this form of exertion cyclocross because you get lots of running cross training :?

Gastroplodder

Postby Is it really so strange? » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Most races don't require that much running, you could ride the sand pit if you wanted but people were getting stuck left and right forcing you to dismount. I've been doing a lot of running in my training so I just dismounted passed people that way.
Is it really so strange?

Next

Return to Cycling Forum