Good waterproof coats

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Good waterproof coats

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 am

What's everyone's opinion on eVent v's Gortex for cycling?

What about Paramo? Any opinions??
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Re: Good waterproof coats

Postby fredrikw » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:50 am

I guess it depends on what kind of cycling you do, but I find water proofs to be way too warm for any type of cycling I do. I think wind proof is better when it's raining that water proof, to avoid dying of heat stroke inside a plastic bag :lol:

Also, I find it's very individual what people wear and think are sufficient when it's cold outside. What some people here wear when it's +5C is more than what I wear when it's -10C, and at the same time what these same people wear on their feet when it's -10C is less than what I wear when it's +5C :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:19 am

Yeah, this is true. I guess I want it more for the big 'out there' rides with hike-a-bike to the top of a mountain and then a long old techy (so not hard CV) back down.

I don't mind getting soaked to the skin when doing DH/low level xc or trail centre riding - it's all part of the fun :D
downhillingdemon

Postby Gelert » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:55 am

Not from a cycling perspective, but the three systems

1. Goretex: usually bombproof (ProShell or XCR) unless PacLite. My experience is that PacLite is probably the most breathable. With Goretex, you're paying a lot of readies for something with a very finite life in breathability and water repellency terms, even if the manufacturer's instructions are followed. And even in the breathability stakes it's not that great. I've met one person with a ca. 1991 Berghaus goretex jacket, but the companies have realised that their money is in flogging this stuff on a 3-5 year cycle.

2. eVent: Is very good, and more breathable than goretex. It does need a lot of TLC though to keep in best condition. Again, it has a finite life, especially if used hard. I'm currently loving the Rab Momentum eVent jacket, which I scored for around £100 in a vomitaceous colour. It's solidly waterproof and highly breathable but is like a crisp packet with sleeves. I'd recommend it for cycling were it not for the awareness that like PacLite, the amount of ductape needed after a humptydumpty would knacker it in the breathability stakes.

3. Paramo. Good stuff. Solid. Will last you a lifetime if washed and reproofed with nikwax (which is apparently ecofriendly). Very breathable, but perhaps not quite as impervious to water as the membrane based systems. I would recommend this were it not for the most likely options for cyclists made by Paramo (the velez and variants thereof) probably being a little too warm, although nicely vented with underarm zips. Have a looksee about that though, it could be what your after. Not outrageously pricey if you think of it in lifetime terms, either.

The invisible 4th is Buffalo. Not waterproof at all, but despite almost priding itself on its spartan functionality (uglieness), it is rather good. It will keep you goldilocks in the comfort stakes even when soaked - so a win win for you dhd? It works by using a synthetic wicking insulation layer similar to fur (pile) bonded to non-waterproof (and hence uber-breathable) wind- and water-resistant pertex. It's made for a close fit next to your skin or base layer for best effect. They take this seriously to the extent of making "special" underpants for their salopette users. Different levels of insulation are available from just windshirt through to the weight of stuff that polar dudes/dudesses use. I know of quite a few cyclists (and kayakers, climbers, winter runners, squaddies) who love the stuff. Along vaguely similar lines, Rab make a range of kit called "vapour rise" which is worth an eyeball perhaps.
Gelert

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:10 am

Cheers Gelert, that is all incredibly useful.

I was swaying very much toward replacing my Gortex 3 layer Mountain Equipment coat with the similar (which was seriously abused in the washing machine one time too many, but did last a good few years of heavy abuse and crashes before it lost the water repellence!)

However, you are not the first person to say good stuff about Paramo. TBH I'd never even heard of it before (which I guess shows the Gortex market dominance)

I'll also look into Buffalo, but I am not sure it's what I am looking for. Although this coat is really for my biking activities, having something I can chuck on to walk the dog in horrendous conditions before work is also a consideration. If I get a 'proper' waterproof at least it will be multi-purpose to this extent at least. :)
downhillingdemon

Postby Gelert » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:06 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]CHowever, you are not the first person to say good stuff about Paramo. TBH I'd never even heard of it before (which I guess shows the Gortex market dominance)

Indeedy. I should have added I have the velez jacket I mentioned and have worn it cycling in June - the zips worked fine, but the pace was a bit gentler. A company called Go Outdoors periodically have fairly good deals on them, but expect to pay about £180 or so.

If you wanted to be bombproof, because they work off the same pattern of zips, a paramo over a buffalo would keep you supertoasty and dry, and vent nicely in ordinary circumstances, but for very kinetic stuff you would boil in your own sweat mayhaps!
Gelert

Postby Gelert » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:06 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]CHowever, you are not the first person to say good stuff about Paramo. TBH I'd never even heard of it before (which I guess shows the Gortex market dominance)

Indeedy. I should have added I have the velez jacket I mentioned and have worn it cycling in June - the zips worked fine, but the pace was a bit gentler. A company called Go Outdoors periodically have fairly good deals on them, but expect to pay about £180 or so.

If you wanted to be bombproof, because they work off the same pattern of zips, a paramo over a buffalo would keep you supertoasty and dry, and vent nicely in ordinary circumstances, but for very kinetic stuff you would boil in your own sweat mayhaps!
Gelert

Postby bob_summers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:29 am

layers?

the type of riding you're talking about is about 95% of what i do in winter, and unless it was pouring with rain i wouldn't want to be wearing a waterproof at all. and the idea of spending over a ton on a jacket and then climbing through barbed wire fences and covering in chain oil.... :shock:

what's worked for me is a softshell (gore "tool" - great name...) and a plastic bag jacket that i throw on in downpours or when i'm waiting for everybody at the top haha.... can't find it in endura's current lineup but it's similar to a helium. fluorescent tangerine, which as a hi-viz colour seems to work better than yellow. haven't missed it being made out of eVent or anything.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:05 am

On our recent long-distance ride, I took my new Sprayway Gore-tex coat and regretted it. I cooked on the climbs and frantically removed it, then had to put it back on when the 40 mph side wind kicked in at the top of hills and froze me.

Basically, I found that trying to keep water off wasn't a consideration, (I just changed into dry clothes at the end of the day) but protection from wind chill was a big issue.

Does anybody know of a body-only windproof garment that could have solved my problem? Being able to sweat properly from the armpits and having full manoeuvrability of arms would have been so much more comfortable.
Hiking Fox

Postby Gelert » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 am

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16332

Will do you perhaps - although their long sleeve version is just as breathable.

PS: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=427961
Gelert

Postby fredrikw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:51 pm

yeah, a wind vest (or gilet) is the answer to most issues, together with arm and leg warmers the most versatile and essential piece of cycling clothing there is (in addition of course to the jersey and cycling shorts).
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

[quote="Gelert"]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=16332

That looks the business, thanks.

Gilet - that's the word I was looking for!
Hiking Fox

Postby Gelert » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:12 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]Gilet - that's the word I was looking for!

Now that's a phrase you seldom hear!
Gelert

Postby fredrikw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm

that's because you don't hang around the cycling forum much. but now that you have, I hope you understand that you need to get a bike and start cycling, there's no turning back once you've been gileted.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Ok, well, erm, after all the VERY useful advice I ended up getting....

.......pretty much the same model as the one I was replacing!

The decision was based on several factors:
*I'm scared of change
*I know the fit is good and the old model worked well for me and what I wanted it for (and was pretty tough, I crashed in it numerous times)
*The longer back is good for cycling
*The climbing hood fits over my XC helmet
*It's about as bright red and in-your-face as you can get
*It was in the sale for £160
downhillingdemon

Next

Return to Cycling Forum