I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

Postby Gastroplodder » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:39 am

GY Jon wrote:I'm contemplating PBP in the most vague manner possible, I think my first SR will be more realistic and get me used to sleep deprivation/malnutrition on a bike (dried bananas and fig roles are my on the go food), 600k is still a fairly long bike ride no? Even for ha surely?

I first rode PBP in 1999 the same year as my first (double) SR, there was a lot of PBP talk on the qualifying rides and I just sort of went with the flow. Other years though I've crawled round a 600 and been so glad that it was over with and I didn't have any longer rides planned. There are a very few guys out there who relish in riding loads of 600s but for me it'll always be a blooming long way which might be why I haven't done one for over 2 years.
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby Gastroplodder » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:20 am

I seem to have some sort of Audax plan shaping up for the year. Apart from no doubt riding a few perms from home I'm hoping to do a fixed wheel SR series, not for the first time but not necessarily taking the easiest options.

Poor Student 200 done in Jan. The Dean 300 entered for March, somewhat familiar as I used to be the organiser, unfortunately the same weekend as the Cambrian 200 but that does look a bit tough for fixed and a bit far to drive. Then the Brevet Cymru 400 for Mayday Bank Hol weekend - this will be unknown territory on fixed for me and I expect to suffer! If me and my knees survive that then maybe the Beast from the East 600k at the end of May.

Nik

Gastroplodder

Postby GY Jon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:14 pm

I've got a similar plan (but with 30 gears), although all in my head and no forms filled in yet. I've been doing a few AAA 100s over the winter (I dare you to do a couple of those routes on fixed :twisted: ), my 1st 200 was to be on Saturday but I DNS'd due to 40MPH headwind for 100k, so it's now March: Gospel Pass 150, Dic Penderyn 200k, April: Perm 300k and see you for the Brevet Cymru and then May: Either Bryan Chapman 600 :shock: or Midhurst-Hay 600 (passes my house at nearly halfway :D )

Anyone else got a long-term pain plan to share? 8) There must be a PBP amongst us? I'm getting married in June so that's my excuse for ending my long-distance ambitions in May.
GY Jon

Postby Gastroplodder » Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 am

Nice to meet you GY Jon on the Brevet Cymru 400 on Saturday - I could keep pace on the climbs but your freewheel rather outpaced my fixie on the descents :) Hope you had a good ride!

I'd entered this knowing it would be pushing my limits to complete in time on fixed gear - I've ridden it in the past on gears and 250 miles of hilly Wales is never easy. Pleased to have a mostly enjoyable ride in the event with a slow, sleepy, night stage proving more of a problem than my lack of gears. I finished with 50 minutes to spare and won the lantern rouge :P

That challenge now out of the way I'm going to opt for a gentler ride for my fixed 600.

Blow by blow account on blog

Nik

Gastroplodder

Postby bob_summers » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am

I enjoyed the blog Nik ,looks a tough old ride, well done on finishing. I've done flat 200s before on fixed, but don't much fancy doing a long hilly audax on one. Took it into the mountains here (why??) and thought my hip joints were going to pop out on the climbs...
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby GY Jon » Tue May 10, 2011 6:38 pm

A belated very good to meet you too Nik and I'm very pleased you finished OK, you certainly deserve the Golden Aubergine vegan medal of valour for completing that ride on fixed.

I got to Chepstow about 4am after failing to get to sleep at Bwlch. My 600 is this weekend if I can patch the 30 speed bike in time and I think I'll copy your plan of stuffing my bag full of vegan pasties as I was very keen for something not with baked beans from 200k onwards. I'll keep an eye on your blog to see how your 600 goes, I hope you post a link here to remind us.
GY Jon

Postby Gastroplodder » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 am

GY Jon wrote:A belated very good to meet you too Nik and I'm very pleased you finished OK, you certainly deserve the Golden Aubergine vegan medal of valour for completing that ride on fixed.

I got to Chepstow about 4am after failing to get to sleep at Bwlch. My 600 is this weekend if I can patch the 30 speed bike in time and I think I'll copy your plan of stuffing my bag full of vegan pasties as I was very keen for something not with baked beans from 200k onwards. I'll keep an eye on your blog to see how your 600 goes, I hope you post a link here to remind us.

Enjoy the Welsh 600 - a great ride but not for me this year as I'd be out of time if I tried it on fixed. I'm hardly jealous at all.

(I think Mark will transport small drop bags to the youth hostel control so you could always chuck a couple of vegan sausage rolls in to have with yet more beans and tinned fruit.)

Good luck!

Gastroplodder

Postby GY Jon » Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm

I got around OK, well rather slow in 38 hours but well within the time-limit and I was resting my knees on everything that even slightly went upwards in the last 100k. I took 4x H&B pasties with me had half at every control to supplement the beans, beans & beans (and fig rolls, not on the same plate) and they worked a treat and will be in my saddlebag for 200s from now on too. PBP qualification sorted but my knees and the probable lack of any food there other than fruit means I'll stick to 600k this season, it is still quite a long bike ride...
GY Jon

Postby Gastroplodder » Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 am

GY Jon wrote:I got around OK, well rather slow in 38 hours but well within the time-limit and I was resting my knees on everything that even slightly went upwards in the last 100k. I took 4x H&B pasties with me had half at every control to supplement the beans, beans & beans (and fig rolls, not on the same plate) and they worked a treat and will be in my saddlebag for 200s from now on too. PBP qualification sorted but my knees and the probable lack of any food there other than fruit means I'll stick to 600k this season, it is still quite a long bike ride...

I think 38 hours is quicker than I've managed this one out of 5 (I think) rides, sounds like like you had a bit of weather as well from other reports. It's MUCH tougher than half a PBP, also much more spectacular. Hope your knees recover soon!

(So 1 H&B pasty every 3 hours for a 90 hr PBP = 30 pasties, yes that could weigh one down a bit :wink: )

Gastroplodder

Postby Gastroplodder » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 am

Dragged the fixie round the Lincs Leadout 600 (alternatively known as the Scunthorpe Sally) last weekend to complete my fixed wheel SR. A not very hilly but rather overdistance out and back with a tailwind for the first half and a headwind most of the second half which enhanced my usual day two misery and reminded me that 200 and 300s are much more fun. An unexpected dose of energy and good spirits appeared in the last 100k and I rather enjoyed the final few hours having to make haste to beat the cutoff having sulked away a lot of my time. I'm very glad I've not let myself in for PBP :D

War & Peace version on my blog.

Gastroplodder

Postby GY Jon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:48 pm

A belated well done on your 600 to my native Lincolnshire (albeit to the least glamourous spot in Lincs), (to get too geeky) a fixed SR certainly beats my AAA SR on 30 speed Campag. I trust you've recovered by now? I've only done 2 (very hilly, for Wales) 200k rides since my 600 in May and my knees still creak a little...
GY Jon

Postby Gastroplodder » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:58 pm

GY Jon wrote:A belated well done on your 600 to my native Lincolnshire (albeit to the least glamourous spot in Lincs), (to get too geeky) a fixed SR certainly beats my AAA SR on 30 speed Campag. I trust you've recovered by now? I've only done 2 (very hilly, for Wales) 200k rides since my 600 in May and my knees still creak a little...

I've recovered enough for a hilly 110k sportive and an average 200k audax but think I'll use the fixed as an excuse not to do any Welsh 200s for a bit. Planning to get a 200 a month in till October so I can claim my 9th Randoneur Round the Year then I'll try my best not to start on another one :)

Gastroplodder

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum