I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:32 am

Dave Poutney was a legend when I started cycling in the early eighties. He virtually lived on his bike, doing massive mileages. And raced occasionally when he considered the race was hard enough. I still see him out on his bike now. Often his trike. A really nice guy too.

Tudor tights and beard.......living the dream ! :D
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby GY Jon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Well that's encouraging many more vegan audaxers than I thought I'd come across. Even a mention of the French ride to the seaside (which I've not even considered trying to enter), has a vegan been known to take part? If so what did they consume? I'm not sure I can carry enough food to last me. What do other VFers eat? I've found more than 3 Trek bars in a day is not the way to happiness.

I've not done more than a 300k because of the problems getting edible food in the wilds of Wales, so stick to 100-200k AAA rides.

Oh yes, I'm a (male) vegan and an audax rider is it therefore unlikely that I have no facial hair surely?
GY Jon

Postby vCLaW » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:34 pm

I think "ha" from this forum has done PBP, and finished in a rather fast time. And I think he only ate fruit and drank water...

For what I eat on audaxes: I usually take some sandwiches, plus homemade flapjack or carrot cake, sometimes some Clif bars or malt loaf etc. I can probably carry enough for up to about 200k, for longer I have to buy food on the way - I can usually manage to find something, even in the wilds of Scotland.
If there's a cafe or pub stop I can get a baked potato and beans or just chips, plus black coffee. If there's a shop, usually stuff like bananas, crisps, sweets, dark chocolate, Irn Bru etc.
It may not be the healthiest food, but it provides the calories (and caffeine) to keep going anyway!

PS: I do have a beard. And SPD sandals, which I sometimes wear for summer audaxes...
vCLaW

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:04 pm

So an audax is the same thing as a brevet?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby kallefs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Almost, the thing with an Audax is that you do it with a group and an assigned leader and there is a predetermined speed (I think 22.5 km/h is usual) imcluding all stops and such. Beard is, of course, mandatory.

Edit: Wikipedia is much better at explaining stuff.
Last edited by kallefs on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby vCLaW » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Mr. Cleetus wrote:So an audax is the same thing as a brevet?

Yes, audax is the usual UK term for what's known as a "brevet" (or "randonee") in other places.
Though in the UK, "brevet" usually specifically refers to the card you carry with on the ride, and get stamped at the controls.

Though as kallefs says, "audax" can refer to a different style of long distance event, where everyone has to ride in a group, led by a captain, at a steady pace. I think these events are only particularly common in France, and they have their own separate PBP event.
vCLaW

Postby skoptic » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Nice to see the audax crew out in force :-)

I have a small beard and have done some audaxes ... but none of this captain leading a group thing. My mate did the LEL last year (London Edinburgh London) ... its sounding tempting! I'm planning on doing some 400 or 600 km but need to take next year off 'cause I'm getting married. If anyone has suggestions for good ones in the UK or Europe .... let us know :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 pm

As far as I understand from friends who does quite a lot of Audax riding the pre-determined speed and the group thing with a captain is what separates it from "regular" Randonneuring. I don't think I'd have the mental strength to go on one of these longer brevets doing only 22,5km/h :) (this is actually the rolling speed, between stops, and not including stops). I've done some shorter local Audax rides here, but only on about 200km.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:07 pm

fredrikw wrote: I don't think I'd have the mental strength to go on one of these longer brevets doing only 22,5km/h :) (this is actually the rolling speed, between stops, and not including stops).

Just make sure it's all off road fredrikw, then you won't find it so easy at that speed! :)

thanks for all the info guys...
Mr. Cleetus

Postby fredrikw » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:
fredrikw wrote: I don't think I'd have the mental strength to go on one of these longer brevets doing only 22,5km/h :) (this is actually the rolling speed, between stops, and not including stops).

Just make sure it's all off road fredrikw, then you won't find it so easy at that speed! :)

Ha ha, yeah off-road is a different thing. But most audaxers seem to fear the off roads like it's the plague :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby philthy builder » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 am

fredrikw wrote:
Mr. Cleetus wrote:

Ha ha, yeah off-road is a different thing. But most audaxers seem to fear the off roads like it's the plague :)

Many Auks were also roughstuff fellowship members who rode off road on touring bikes before mtbs were born.Andy Wilkinson rode Audax,roughstuff and mtb and was a champion tester at 24hr,12hr,100miles and 50 miles .
philthy builder

Postby fredrikw » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:20 am

philthy builder wrote:Many Auks were also roughstuff fellowship members who rode off road on touring bikes before mtbs were born.Andy Wilkinson rode Audax,roughstuff and mtb and was a champion tester at 24hr,12hr,100miles and 50 miles .

I'm sure they were, and of course I have no idea of the general Audax rider, but the group of old men who do Audax rides up here are not too keen on anything but slow rides on tarmac. Also, off-road can mean anything from gravel and fire roads, to technical trails. When I talk about off-road I mean the latter rather than the former.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gastroplodder » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:13 am

fredrikw wrote:As far as I understand from friends who does quite a lot of Audax riding the pre-determined speed and the group thing with a captain is what separates it from "regular" Randonneuring. I don't think I'd have the mental strength to go on one of these longer brevets doing only 22,5km/h :) (this is actually the rolling speed, between stops, and not including stops). I've done some shorter local Audax rides here, but only on about 200km.

I've heard of the 22.5kph thing as the original, 'proper', audax but I've never come across a UK audax done that way, I'd have thought that sort of thing was catered for here by CTC DA club runs and the like where you all stick in a group. Most audax riders I've met are too individual and undisciplined to ride like that. I think I'd hate it but it would no doubt do my erratic pacing some good. I believe there is another PBP run on this basis at a different time from the big one.

To me audax is usually a way of exploring the hills, back lanes and sights prettier bits of the country have to offer while exhausting myself into a useless heap which I find to be a good mood changer. Sometimes though it's good to ride a solo 200k perm from home over a lansey route you've ridden many times before. (Perm = pre-arranged ride that's not in the AUK rides calender)

UK audaxing has gone through a lot of good innovation recently with Audax UK making it much easier to design your own valid routes and get points for riding to the start of events while also toughening up on under-distance routes and other possible threats to ride integrity. You can even use gpx tracks to get a perm validated if you follow the right procedure so control points don't have to provide stamps or receipts. An influx of energetic cycling computer buffs from Yet Another Cycling Forum has really helped things along while only putting a few noses out of place. Beards and mudguards are no longer compulsory (but still quite common).
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby fredrikw » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 am

sounds like what you're calling audax is what's usually refered to as randonneuring, because that speed thing seems to be very important at least here and from what I've heard on PBP Audax (from people who have done it).
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gastroplodder » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:50 am

fredrikw wrote:sounds like what you're calling audax is what's usually refered to as randonneuring, because that speed thing seems to be very important at least here and from what I've heard on PBP Audax (from people who have done it).

Yes I think you're right - it's a very English thing, use the wrong word and then turn it into an institution :lol:

Our main randonneuring body is called Audax UK (AUK) though, probably named after Audax Club Parisien (ACP), and I suspect most UK riders would be most puzzled if some 'captain' told them to slow down (or more like catch-up in my case). I think I prefer it our way, lose groups forming and fragmenting along the journey and the challenge being between rider and environment with none of this social stuff. Can be a long, lonely ride sometimes but I don't mind that - AUK have recorded over 15,700 individual rides so far this season so seems quite popular.
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum