nother SO thread

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

nother SO thread

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Did a 10 mile TT today, the first i've done on my own all year! did a two up about 3 months ago and did a 26:41 in perfect conditions on a fairly good course but both myself and my partner arived late, no time for a warm up and felt like crap!
today did a 10 with the aim of averaging over 25mph, on a fairly hard course near Okehampton, averaged 25mph exzactly and did 24:05, well chuffed. Still only came 28th in a field of 50 but it was the regional championships so their were quite a few fast boys out! winning time was 20:16 by an elete road racer.
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
the crazyest vegan

Re: nother SO thread

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:05 pm

So?
Herbsman

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 am

So...........

Whats your best for ten miles ?
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby the crazyest vegan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:48 am

24:05.
First open TT i've done solo, and the only one without a major hill in it!
post your best 10's and 25s now! (MILES people, not KM's!)
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
the crazyest vegan

Postby philthy builder » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:56 pm

My best this year was 23.21 for 10 .only did a few in may and june. My fastest ever 10 was 21.03 when I was in my thirties .Fastest 2up 10 20.59 around the same time.Fastest 25 55.00 also back in me thirties.Not done any 25s this time and dont intend to.All these times are in club midweek events on k courses.
philthy builder

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Haven't raced this year.....too busy and too much shit going on.......

Last year I got 20.59 for ten miles, and 55.16 for twenty-five, but in my defence, I'm old and unfit and had far too much stress to be able to focus properly.

Did 1.54.53 for fifty miles, which i was quite pleased with, considering I don't do much stamina training these days.

Those were all on fixed. 55x13 for the ten and twenty-five, and 54x13 for the fifty (because I'm old and weak etc)

My best 25 was years back, 54.00, without a disc wheel or any aero aids. Just a classic steel road racing bike......those were the days......I was second to Chris Boardman by a couple of minutes or so.

And 1.49.41, or something like that, for fifty miles.

I may race properly next year.........I want to go under 20 minutes for ten miles. its been my ambition for several years.

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Herbsman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm faster than that
Herbsman

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:40 pm

[quote="Herbsman"]I'm faster than that

Speedy, I wanna see you do one on your bmx.

Mile? whats that? We don't have any 10s here, but my best for a 25/40 is just over 57. I'd like to see what I could do if I specifically trained for one and had a fast course, but sadly, I probably be no faster!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Herbsman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:02 am

What I meant was, 'I wish I was faster than that'

I want to meet TCV one day, we should link up and ride somewhere.
Herbsman

Postby the crazyest vegan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 am

Herbsman, sounds like a plan, where abouts in the uk are you?

JBC - how old are you if you dont mind me asking? we have a local guy who's 65 but still knocks out 22 min 10's and under the hour 25s!
the crazyest vegan

Postby Herbsman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:13 pm

WEST MIDLANDS. QUITE FAR.
Herbsman

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm

[quote="the crazyest vegan"]Herbsman, sounds like a plan, where abouts in the uk are you?

JBC - how old are you if you dont mind me asking? we have a local guy who's 65 but still knocks out 22 min 10's and under the hour 25s!

I'm 43, but a lot of miles on the clock ! :shock:

My recovery is still near enough what it was twenty years ago, and my sprint is far better, although it was non-existent before. I just don't have time to train anymore. Next year may be different.

JohnBarleycorn

Postby Alistar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 am

[quote="the crazyest vegan"]
... we have a local guy who's 65 but still knocks out 22 min 10's and under the hour 25s!

Glad I'm not the only one who keeps getting beaten by 65yr olds :( But reckon age is starting to finally catch up with him. Although the guy trains like a pro (well thats my excuse anyway...)

Closest thing I've got to a 10mile TT is a 17km(just over) bike leg in a mini tri. Did 26min38 on my mtb with slicks 8).

Good going on your new PB btw!
Alistar

Postby philthy builder » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:29 am

JBC,you used a 54x13 cos you are old and weak :shock: What did you use when you were young and strong?
Ive always used a 55 chainring but never ridden fixed.Ive never trained properly either,just ride with some decent roadies through winter then midweek 10s with a club ride or longer tt at weekends in summer is all I ever did .I always found my 10 times improved after the first 100 of the season.
philthy builder

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:15 am

[quote="philthy builder"]JBC,you used a 54x13 cos you are old and weak :shock: What did you use when you were young and strong?
Ive always used a 55 chainring but never ridden fixed.Ive never trained properly either,just ride with some decent roadies through winter then midweek 10s with a club ride or longer tt at weekends in summer is all I ever did .I always found my 10 times improved after the first 100 of the season.

Aha......bigger ! Although when I was at my best I was mostly road racing, but I was known for being able to ride a whole race off my wheel using the 12 sprocket. And as I was so light, I could do massive damage on the hills, and especially on drags where i could roll a big gear.

My problem was that I did too much, as was the fashion back then, and I now know I don't thrive on high volume. Very low volume suits me better, but its taken 25 years to work it out.

You should try fixed. You sound really strong, and fixed suits those who are strong. Its a definite advantage.

JohnBarleycorn

Return to Cycling Forum