Constant hunger, no weight gain

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Constant hunger, no weight gain

Postby ha » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:37 am

[quote="Herbsman"]what im saying is, this happened before, in 2006 when i increased my cycling frequency/intensity

My calorie intake can jump from 3000cals a day to 10 000cals a day depending on the amount of cycling Im doing. Ive trained with a lot of TDF riders and taking a glucose drip at night is a common practise to ensure adequate glycogen the next day. Carbs are key.

Eat as much carbs as you want. Start the meal with some sweet fruit and then move on to your salad/rice/pasta etc.

Keep fat intake low and carb intake high. If your carbs are from wholefoods vs refined, automatically your getting enough protein.

Work out how much calories your eating each day and add more if you want the energy to train more. I see it all the time, cyclists undereating cos their sedentary family says 'you eat too much carbs!' and they believe the fatties and then undereat and lose motivation for consistent training/racing/commuting.

I get told EVERY MEAL I eat with non athletes 'your overeating Harley!' and then I say 'would you like to come for an easy spin to xyz tommorrow?' They say 'Oh I havent riden in ages..Im so out of shape..' I say 'thats cos you undereat on carbs and over eat on fat champ! ' :lol:

PS: If you have worms, weigh them and add 10 calories per day of 1g worm body weight. That way your worms will get enough calories too and everyone is happy. Add 4calories if they are tape worms vs pin worms, as tape worms have a higher metabolic rate.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks for the advice Harley,

[quote="ha"]
I get told EVERY MEAL I eat with non athletes 'your overeating Harley!' and then I say 'would you like to come for an easy spin to xyz tommorrow?' They say 'Oh I havent riden in ages..Im so out of shape..' I say 'thats cos you undereat on carbs and over eat on fat champ! ' :lol:
Yeah, guys at my workplace really piss me off, always giving me grief about how much I eat (which isn't actually much). Yet when these people have toast in the morning, it's not only SOAKED in butter, it has thick globs of butter deposited on top of it. It's so fucking disgusting it turns my stomach just looking at it :( How anyone can actually enjoy eating that much refined fat, I don't know.

[quote="ha"]PS: If you have worms, weigh them and add 10 calories per day of 1g worm body weight. That way your worms will get enough calories too and everyone is happy. Add 4calories if they are tape worms vs pin worms, as tape worms have a higher metabolic rate.

LOL!
Herbsman

Postby vegcrow » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 pm

[quote="Herbsman"]
[quote="ha"]PS: If you have worms, weigh them and add 10 calories per day of 1g worm body weight. That way your worms will get enough calories too and everyone is happy. Add 4calories if they are tape worms vs pin worms, as tape worms have a higher metabolic rate.

LOL!

Seriously, that's made my day! Good stuff Harley!
vegcrow

Postby audi666 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:03 pm

glad to hear this isnt only me...

i commute a good deal everyday + other rides/runs/workouts and more or less eat all day. Its a good problem to have :)
http://hellopa.blogspot.com
audi666

Postby Herbsman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:43 pm

not if you want to look big and muscly as opposed to a scrawny whippet...
Herbsman

Postby fredrikw » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:13 pm

[quote="Herbsman"]not if you want to look big and muscly as opposed to a scrawny whippet...

Looks can of course be important, but I'm curious why you want to be big and muscly if you're a cyclist looking at doing races. Any extra kg, muscle or not, will only impair your performance.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:45 am

When I say big... not like a bodybuilder or anything. Just unlike a kenyan marathon runner.
Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:48 am

srsly... my legs are thinner than this guy's:

Herbsman

Postby fredrikw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:54 am

[quote="Herbsman"]When I say big... not like a bodybuilder or anything. Just unlike a kenyan marathon runner.

They are however really good at their sport, and I think quite few people see them as malnourished and weak :D

Just to get some perspective here, at 63kg I'm far from being big or muscly, but I never get the malnourished weak vegan stereotype thrown at me. Perhaps it's because people hear about my sport (MTB marathons), and realizes that this could never be done if I had any deficiencies.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Nah, I'm not worried about what other people think. I just love muscles. I love the shape of them, the curves, the definition, the feel of them. I once spent twenty minutes squeezing my calves and admiring my thighs in lycra, and in doing so made myself late for work. I often stare in amazement at other people's muscles too
Herbsman

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:52 pm

[quote="Herbsman"]Nah, I'm not worried about what other people think. I just love muscles. I love the shape of them, the curves, the definition, the feel of them. I once spent twenty minutes squeezing my calves and admiring my thighs in lycra, and in doing so made myself late for work. I often stare in amazement at other people's muscles too

The return of Purple Aki!
Clem Snide

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum