Helmets

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Helmets

Postby virago » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:03 am

I do a mixture of road (e.g. psychopathic car racing on the way to the veg market) and trail (local deer park - grass, gravel and wooded paths) riding on my MTB. I currently have a helmet like this but I don't feel like it offers my head much protection. Because of the style it feels perched atop my skull, and seeing as one of these days the grumpy toffs I piss off by daring to ride on 'their' road will knock me off, I kinda want my skull to remain intact.

I'm considering a lid like this, as (in my mind) it offers more protection and if I do get smashed, it'll hold my brain in. I am however somewhat conscious of looking too 'down with the kids' if I wear one of these.

Any opinions on the relative merits/safety of each? Am I just being a bit mad?
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Re: Helmets

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:31 am

Just wear what you want and stop being neurotic.
User avatar
Herbsman
Active Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: UK

Re: Helmets

Postby virago » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 am

Hey, thanks so much for your advice. Really. I appreciate it that you took all that time to come to my thread and piss on it.
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Re: Helmets

Postby soniczip » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:10 pm

the first looks quite similar to mine. as long as it's well tightened, you shpuldn't have any problem. sure the other one looks more you're going to war or something.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
User avatar
soniczip
Active Member
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: italy

Re: Helmets

Postby vCLaW » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:30 pm

I don't think there's much difference between them. The skate/BMX style helmets are designed to cope with minor scratches and bumps etc, without failing. But it will probably still break in a proper crash.
Plus it doesn't have much venting, so will be too hot for most cycling.

I don't think any helmet will help much if you're hit by a car anyway (which is really not very likely).
User avatar
vCLaW
Active Member
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: in the highlands of Scotland

Re: Helmets

Postby SpugFab » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Aye I think if you are cycling hard the skater style would get quite uncomfortable. They do look cooler though.

I've got a massive heid (as we say in Scotland), I struggled to find a helmet to begin with. They all sat very high up on my head. In the end I tried on a cheaper one in Halfords which sat lower and felt better, so I went with that. Maybe you've just got one that happens to sit very high up on your head and another one would sit better.
User avatar
SpugFab
Active Member
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: Frankfurt am Main

Re: Helmets

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:35 pm

virago wrote:Hey, thanks so much for your advice. Really. I appreciate it that you took all that time to come to my thread and piss on it.

No, I was being honest. If you want to wear a particular type of helmet why don't you just do it instead of worrying that you might look "too 'down with the kids'"?

However, I was still half asleep when I read your post, I didn't notice the bit where you asked for info on the benefits and drawbacks of each type of helmet. So apologies for that.
User avatar
Herbsman
Active Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: UK

Re: Helmets

Postby virago » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:49 pm

SpugFab wrote:Aye I think if you are cycling hard the skater style would get quite uncomfortable. They do look cooler though.

I've got a massive heid (as we say in Scotland), I struggled to find a helmet to begin with. They all sat very high up on my head. In the end I tried on a cheaper one in Halfords which sat lower and felt better, so I went with that. Maybe you've just got one that happens to sit very high up on your head and another one would sit better.


I think a trip to the bike shop is in order. I think mine is designed as a sort of 'atop the head' road helmet. I'd feel happier in something more snug, so I'll have a look.


Herbsman wrote:No, I was being honest. If you want to wear a particular type of helmet why don't you just do it instead of worrying that you might look "too 'down with the kids'"?

However, I was still half asleep when I read your post, I didn't notice the bit where you asked for info on the benefits and drawbacks of each type of helmet. So apologies for that.


Accepted :)
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Re: Helmets

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Yeah. Get the first bike helmet.
I have a low-end specialized road bike helmet. I *wanted* to like something hipper, but frankly, the helmet that fits best, and is most comfortable should win out. There's no point in buying a helmet that horrible to wear.

Unless, for some freak reason, the second bike helmet is significantly more comfortable (can't imagine that just based on the lack of vents), then go for the first bike helmet. It'll do well in all settings except for skate parks.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
User avatar
xrodolfox
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Helmets

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:10 pm

It's definitely worth trying on a few different helmets in shops to find the one that fits best.
I've got a big oval head. Most helmets are too round and wedge front and back without touching the sides.
I wear a Trek helmet because, not only is it the right shape, but they go up to size 64 whereas most manufacturers stop at 62.
I've seen a few people racing in those skater style helmets, although they are outnumbered by the regular cycle helmets about 500 to 1.
They would probably stand up to repeated minor knocks better, but I reckon they would soon end up too hot if you're putting any effort in to your cycling.
Last edited by VeganGraham on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
User avatar
VeganGraham
Active Member
 
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Re: Helmets

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:16 pm

THe 2nd one will be far to hot in warm weather, remember they are all designed to meet the same specifications with regards to safety, so although they may look different they will both offer the same level of protection.
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
User avatar
the crazyest vegan
Active Member
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: penzance

Re: Helmets

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:06 pm

the crazyest vegan wrote:THe 2nd one will be far to hot in warm weather, remember they are all designed to meet the same specifications with regards to safety, so although they may look different they will both offer the same level of protection.


They are both guaranteed to surpass a specified minimum level of protection. Don't think that means they both offering the same level of protection - it's simply not true.
User avatar
Herbsman
Active Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: UK

Re: Helmets

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:43 am

You interpreted exzactly what i was trying to say!
Personally although i did not mention it in my previouse post, BMX helmets probably arent designed to help in a crash at 30mph wheras a road helmet is designed to handle crashes at high speeds.
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
User avatar
the crazyest vegan
Active Member
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: penzance

Re: Helmets

Postby virago » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:40 am

the crazyest vegan wrote:You interpreted exzactly what i was trying to say!
Personally although i did not mention it in my previouse post, BMX helmets probably arent designed to help in a crash at 30mph wheras a road helmet is designed to handle crashes at high speeds.


^Ah, I'd not thought about this. Good point. Plus I cycle pretty hard so I'll need vents. I think getting one that fits better is a good idea, partly for safety reasons but partly for my own feeling of protection. Thanks everyone :)
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Re: Helmets

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Apparently, helmets are tested at impact speeds of 12mph. They only have to provide adequate protection at 12mph or less.
User avatar
Herbsman
Active Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: UK

Next

Return to Cycling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests