Vegan Tires

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Vegan Tires

Postby bob_summers » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 am

Great news Patxi, thanks for letting us know!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby GY Jon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Great news (about a month after using the last of my Contis and converting to Vredestein and Panaracer).

Thanks for investigating further Patxi :D

[quote="patxi"]Hi, I recently discovered this forum by this thread (it was linked on some vegan article), and before giving up on Continentals I decided to write them again, since the original info was some years old. They took their time (2 weeks) but they just gave me a 'vegan' answer:

Christian Wurmbaeck Christian.Wurmbaeck@conti.de
5:02 PM (6 hours ago)
to me

Hi Patxi,

our stearin is not from animal origin, it's only from vegetable raw
materials.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen - Kind regards

Christian Wurmbäck

Head of Productmanagement Bicycle Tires
Productmanager Race & Tubular
Continental - Division RU-PLT
GY Jon

For Sale!

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:10 am

For Sale:
Racing tires/wheels.
100% vegan.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/4385974239.html

I'll ship if you pay shipping.
[quote]Carbon fiber 90mm deep racing wheels the tubular "sew-up" Vittoria Corsa EVO-CX tires (in red) glued on using Vittoria Mastik'One glue.

These wheels were used only for races on my racing frame for one season. Total mileage approximately 50miles. These tires have led me to my first podium finish last year. Unfortunately, I need the money rather than the speed.

These wheels have an extremely narrow profile, run true, and have tires with the lowest rolling resistance on the market. They look awesome, and ride well.

Skewers included. 11-speed shimano Dura-Ace cassette included. It's $100 less without. This package ran me at least 40hrs of work and nearly $1k of my money. I will only entertain serious offers.

Ride these to victory... or at least a very fast ride.

"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby jackreskal » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:41 am

Bontrager tires confirmed vegan.

My message to Trek (the owner/manufacturer of Bontrager)

[quote]Hi, I have a few questions regarding Bontrager tires. I am looking for vegan-friendly bicycle tires (some brands contain animal-derived ingredients).

1: Do Bontrager tires contain stearic acid or stearate?

2: If the answer to the above is yes: Is it animal-derived or plant-derived stearic acid?

3: Do Bontrager tires contain any other animal-derived ingredients?

Thank you!

Their response

[quote]Dear Jack,

Thank you for writing in to Trek, and I apologize for the delayed response. I have just been in contact with our Tire Product manager. He has informed me that the stearic acid in our tires is plant derived, and that there are no animal derived ingredients in our tires.

Sincerely,

Pat

These brands of tires are vegan: Bontrager, DMR, Kenda, Maxxis, Michelin, No Tubes, Panaracer, Schwalbe, Specialized, Vittoria, Vredestein

These brands of tires are NOT vegan: Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli

I have also done research into vegan lube, grease, etc. Here is a complete list of my findings.
Last edited by jackreskal on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackreskal

Postby tellygonebung » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:37 pm

OK, I'm in the market for new tyres. What concerns me is the wording. I have written to beer manufacturers before enquiring about isinglass, they will happily say its not in, or an ingredient of the beer because a processing aid is technically not an ingredient and doesn't have to be listed.

So....if these animal based stearic acids are just used to help ease out the tyre from the mould they are not technically "in" the tyre. You would maybe have to ask is it in the tyre and ask is it used in the production.

I know what you mean when you ask that question but someone could be economical with the truth.

Just me?
tellygonebung

Postby jackreskal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:03 am

[quote="tellygonebung"]OK, I'm in the market for new tyres. What concerns me is the wording. I have written to beer manufacturers before enquiring about isinglass, they will happily say its not in, or an ingredient of the beer because a processing aid is technically not an ingredient and doesn't have to be listed.

So....if these animal based stearic acids are just used to help ease out the tyre from the mould they are not technically "in" the tyre. You would maybe have to ask is it in the tyre and ask is it used in the production.

I know what you mean when you ask that question but someone could be economical with the truth.

Just me?

Valid concern, but not an issue if the company claims to use plant-derived stearic acid (as opposed to claiming to not use stearic acid or stearate). Bontrager uses plant-derived stearic acid as I posted above. Some similar info is available on other companies in the spreadsheets posted by other members:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit?pli=1
and
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... utput=html
jackreskal

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum