Vegan Tires

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Vegan Tires

Postby roper » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Great thread!!!!
very helpful too :)
roper

Postby tellygonebung » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 pm

I had no idea! Is it in the tyres or the moulding process? ....My 3 bikes have Conti and Schwalbe tyres on! :-(....

Bugger.
tellygonebung

Postby kallefs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm

tellygonebung wrote:My bikes have Conti and Schwalbe tyres on! :-(....

Bugger.

Same here...
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby fredrikw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Yep, Schwalbe and Conti tires on all my wheels... But I just ordered a pair of Maxxis Ikons, keeping my fingers crossed they'll be a good replacement for my bastard Schwalbe Rocket Rons... Replacing the whole tire park will be a slow process though.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 pm

I agree with Fred, this info needs to be on page one of a thread.
Nes' table is great, but if one googles vegan+tires, this is the first hit. I don't know if google spreadsheets show up in the search results.

If we lock this, what happens to the google results? Do we start again from the bottom?

I'm happy to start and manage the new thread btw.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Herbsman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:38 am

nes wrote:Thanks for getting in touch, I am afraid our tyres are not vegan friendly so to speak as indeed animal products are used in the production of a Schwalbe tyre.

Regards,

Will Brown
Schwalbe UK

BOOOO!

(Herbsman, how much £ did you put on that??!!)

£0.01
Herbsman

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Great thread.
I need to buy myself a pair of tubular for a new pair of race wheels, and this helps a lot.
I need info on a starting pair of tubulars... like Tufo. I'm concerned about the glues.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Since I assume this is for you TT/Tri bike, you want to put a set of fast tires on your race wheels, so there is no need to check out the tufos (they test as very slow tires). There are a number of considerations such as how well the width matches the width of your rim, rolling resistance, etc. For rolling resistance, it can be pretty hard to beat the Vittoria Evo Corsa CXs although with their increase in TPI a couple of years ago they actually seemed to have increased in rolling resistance. Unfortunately it seems as if Vittoria is still an unknown on the vegan tire list (and these are expensive tires) - but there are a number of other good tires out there (I will need to remind myself and get back to you or give you a link). People tend to dismiss rolling resistance, but when you look at the watts that are in it, it can be significant for a bad tire.

Glues is a pretty damn good question and I suspect it may be impossible to find a vegan one, but I honestly have no idea. I have been blissfully ignorant and ignored it in the past.

xrodolfox wrote:Great thread.
I need to buy myself a pair of tubular for a new pair of race wheels, and this helps a lot.
I need info on a starting pair of tubulars... like Tufo. I'm concerned about the glues.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

After more research I'm most interested in the Zipp Tangante. They are relatively affordable, and made by Vitorria. On the last list, I thought Vitorria came up vegan. Eh? I will call Zipp directly tomorrow. Would tubular tape more likely be vegan?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Nice one, Rodolfo!

And there's a vegan tub glue thread on here somewhere, maybe update that too if you get an answer from Zipp. Good luck!

I can only speculate, but I am under the impression that tub glue is a rubber solution suspended in some kind of ether than evaporates off (rather than rendered-down animal bones). So I guess the vegan aspect depends on whether the rubber uses the same stuff we have problems with in the tyres (I forget what it's called!)

GLue for track tubs uses shellac (doesn't need to resist heat from braking), but I haven't seen that sold for years.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Konstantinos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 pm

I received the following reply from Bontrager but the "To my knowledge" and "I am confident.." parts make me feel unsure.

Konstantinos

Postby delusional » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:49 pm

I contacted WTB after seeing their new Vigilante tyre and they were really helpful - it took them a few weeks to find out for me, but they made sure to get back to me with the following:

Hello Dan!

What we've been able to find is that the stearic acid used in our tires is from vegetable sources.

Good news!
delusional

Postby kallefs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 am

Nice!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby like_to_bike » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

Just to summarize the information in this thread, and the previous one on the same subject, we have the following results...

Free of animal products:
------------------------

DMR
Kenda
Maxxis
Michelin
NoTubes
Panaracer
Specialized
Vittoria
Vredestein
WTB
Zipp Tangante

Contain animal products:
------------------------

Continental
Dunlop
Goodyear
Pirelli
Schwalbe
like_to_bike

Postby patxi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Hi, I recently discovered this forum by this thread (it was linked on some vegan article), and before giving up on Continentals I decided to write them again, since the original info was some years old. They took their time (2 weeks) but they just gave me a 'vegan' answer:

Christian Wurmbaeck Christian.Wurmbaeck@conti.de
5:02 PM (6 hours ago)
to me

Hi Patxi,

our stearin is not from animal origin, it's only from vegetable raw
materials.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen - Kind regards

Christian Wurmbäck

Head of Productmanagement Bicycle Tires
Productmanager Race & Tubular
Continental - Division RU-PLT
patxi