Speaking out for cylists rights to feel safe on our roads

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Speaking out for cylists rights to feel safe on our roads

Postby FatherofArdvarkboy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi,

I have been on this forum for a while now. It's been a really difficult time. I am the late aardvarkboy's dad. He is the cyclist guy up in the top left corner, killed this last July when a van hit him from behind whilst he was out training.

I have posted on general and introductions, so if you do not know all of what this is about please read there.

I am honouring my son's memory in becoming vegan. I am still a life long vegetarian cyclist but becoming increasingly vegan.

I guess in time I'll discover what a vegan existence will do for my cycling. Right now, I am only just bringing myself to think about riding again, such is my grief.

There are a good few posts now about my son, on those other boards, but I just wanted to add this here, because it really does affect those roadies among us, indeed anyone who takes to the road on a bike.

Please take a few moments to read this link, it's my reaction to a decision by the Crown Prosecution Service not to take to court the guy who killed my son:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2040 ... s_decision

I am sure my comments there sum up how we all feel. We need to look after our interests. to feel safe when out riding. aardvarkboy was doing nothing other than enjoying a beautiful English summer evening on his bike.

If you want to comment on that newspaper site, please do. Sorry admins, if I am not supposed to put links in here.

Best Regards,

Dave.
Last edited by FatherofArdvarkboy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FatherofArdvarkboy

Postby benzilla » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Ridiculous, I'd like to know how the CPS came to that decision. You have our support.
benzilla

Postby moggy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

benzilla wrote:Ridiculous, I'd like to know how the CPS came to that decision. You have our support.

Possibly the same way that the CPS decided there was not sufficient evidence to prosecute in the Baby P case.
moggy

Postby Gelert » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Despicable.

I'm sure you can count on support from here.
Gelert

Postby helmut » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:33 am

that must be very hard for you! what an awful decision. a girl who i ride with was recently very badly injured after a car turned into her path, and didn't even stop after hitting her. even just the other day i was almost wiped out after a car coming out of a driveway turned right into my path!! the guy pulled up at the lights and said 'sorry! didn't see you!'

i think all motorists should have to do a cyclist education course.
helmut

Postby FatherofArdvarkboy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks for your replies,

Yes helmut it is hard. Since that day I have been out about 5 times only.

Road riding has always been my main interest but maybe once I do get cycling properly again, off road will be the future for me now, I'll see.

One thing is for sure, Anthony would never want me to give up cycling, and the friends you make, it's like a band of brothers as you all must know.

Dave
FatherofArdvarkboy

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:22 am

I think all motorists should have to be cyclists for a while, first. It would change the way they behave on the road, and make them feel vulnerable.

The main reason people who could cycle to work cite for not doing so is that they don't feel safe on the roads.
Hiking Fox

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:36 pm

I have lost many friends over the years. It never gets any easier. But to lose a son is unimaginable.

Its sad that its so common in Britain. I never really feel safe here, anymore. But when I raced in France, I always felt safe.

I hope you can start enjoying your cycling again. As you said, he wouldn't have wanted you to give up.

My thoughts are with you.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby bob_summers » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 pm

words fail me, really. but i don't think i'd be alone in saying you can count on us if you need any support with the switch to veganism.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Return to Cycling Forum