Cycling Wattage Table

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:19 pm

I've never really thought these made sense, but here are Coggan's profiles:

Mr. Cleetus

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:12 am

A lot of people seem to dismiss those figures, as they don't make sense in the real world. Bit hit or miss, and don't take other things into account.

But my five minute power gives me a figure of 6.Which puts me just below the 'exceptional' level. So I shall chose to believe it !

If I was a women, I would be world class ! Damnit ! :lol:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby jgt » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:16 am

Pretty impressive output, by the way. On a concept II rowing ergometer I don't even come close to these figures.
No hope, no fear, freedom.
jgt

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Cheers !

I couldn't do it on a concept 2, either ! :lol:

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby fredrikw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:45 pm

hmm, I guess I need to upgrade my trainer for next winter, then I'll hopefully be able to get these nice figures for comparison... perhaps by then the table is actually here on the forum and not on google docs ;) (come on now dave, humour us and put the numbers in a table in your first post :D)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:56 pm

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]A lot of people seem to dismiss those figures, as they don't make sense in the real world. Bit hit or miss, and don't take other things into account.

But my five minute power gives me a figure of 6.Which puts me just below the 'exceptional' level. So I shall chose to believe it !

yes, I kinda suspect it is like the online IQ tests where almost everyone is a genius. That way you keep going back for more, and also tell everybody about the table. Lookit this! I am as good as a Cat 1!!! :lol:
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:20 pm

[quote="bike snob NYC"]Cat 4: A Cat 5 who has done 11 or more races. [e.g, “Lame duck;” “Virgin after graduation.”]

:wink:
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby veganjosh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="JohnBarleycorn"]A lot of people seem to dismiss those figures, as they don't make sense in the real world. Bit hit or miss, and don't take other things into account.

yes, I kinda suspect it is like the online IQ tests where almost everyone is a genius. That way you keep going back for more, and also tell everybody about the table. Lookit this! I am as good as a Cat 1!!! :lol:

Hmm, I don't know...I find the numbers on the table to be very difficult to achieve. For example, all of my training for the last 10 months has essentially been dedicated to increasing 5 second power, and it only ranks me as a middle cat 3...which happens to be exactly where I am in reality. JBC has Cat 1 level power in the TT distances, and he's a former pro...seems pretty spot-on, and certainly not forgiving, to me.
veganjosh

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:16 am

yeah, I guess my comment was more directed at the two longer time periods where it has me in the middle and upper Cat 2, which is probably a bit of a stretch. It is the same for some others I know.

I suppose it should be read as one "needs" to fit all power levels within a row. I imagine when I check my shorter numbers they will drop me down a level. That would also match my understanding of how I race when I have raced with Cat 1/2 equivs (ie, long and hard I am fine; very short and harder: uh-uh).
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:57 am

Yeah, those numbers are skewed. I'm low Cat4 with my 1min, and high mid Cat3 with my 5min...?? And very high (Cat2) with my FTP..??

Maybe the numbers are different here, but i can simply ride almost any Cat4 rider off my wheel around here.. (ie, i just hold my pace, and they eventually fall off my wheel. ;)

And i most certainly can outsprint any Cat4. Most Cat3s and many Cat2/1 racers... Very skewed. Or maybe i punched my weight in wrong. =P

AND: The rest of you, post your #'s! Cleet, JBC - get on it!
Dave Noisy

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Yeah, those numbers are skewed. I'm low Cat4 with my 1min, and high mid Cat3 with my 5min...?? And very high (Cat2) with my FTP..??

Maybe the numbers are different here, but i can simply ride almost any Cat4 rider off my wheel around here.. (ie, i just hold my pace, and they eventually fall off my wheel. ;)

And i most certainly can outsprint any Cat4. Most Cat3s and many Cat2/1 racers... Very skewed. Or maybe i punched my weight in wrong. =P

You'd outsprint me, no problems ! But hopefully I'd have worked you over long before the sprint ! :lol:

I'll sort out the 'sprint' times, when I get a chance. You just want to see how shit I am ! :lol:

JohnBarleycorn

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:38 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]

hey there tuff-sprinter-man, take a look back a page, we both have! :cry:

my 5sW is personal info I don't care to divulge. :) I will try and remember to drag it out this weekend.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:50 pm

And I want to update my 5 minute power to 453 watts, please ! :lol: Just did another test !

These sprinters ! Its all rush rush rush ! Come on, Dave, hope your 200m sprint is faster than you update the wattage table ! :lol:

JohnBarleycorn

Postby bob_summers » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:53 pm

was interesting to see that dave millar cranked out 340w in 5hrs during stage 5 of the giro (well, up until his chain snapped in the last km!). and 18 cans of coke, no less :shock:
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Wow !

Thats a lot of power ! Five hours ! Dave has awesome class, though. Even as a teenager, it was obvious. When he was junior 25 mile champion, he was being interviewed on the podium, and said "You ain't seen nothing yet" ! People thought he was being arrogant, but a few yellow jerseys later, he has shown he is very special.

Some people hate him, for the drugs thing, but whenever I have met him, he has always stopped to talk, no matter how pressured or tired he was. Always polite and friendly. Hes one of the good guys !

340 watts for five hours, though ! :shock:

JohnBarleycorn

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum