European biking meetup 2

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby ultra_whippet » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 am

[quote="StevieP"]
I was looking at The Fox and Hounds in Xmas Common, as they've done good stuff before for us, but do you know of any pubs in that area we could try that are not so posh?

Afraid not, but I'm happy with either pub meal or sandwiches......

J.
ultra_whippet

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:07 am

We're trying to get some sort of vegan MTB meet up going on vegan forum. Only a day out round Cannock with the possibility of it becoming a regular thing.
Is it OK if I post a link over there about this event ?
I guess it would be, but as some people are offering accomodation in their own houses it doesn't seem right for me to be inviting others along without asking first.

I would prefer sandwiches to a pub meal. I'm always suspicious of vegan food that's been prepared by non vegans.

I'm well on the way to building up a second bike for racing. I'll be using it for the weekend so my hardtail that I rode at the Wales meet up will be available for loan.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby StevieP » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:02 am

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]
Is it OK if I post a link over there about this event ?

I've just done that, I was coming here to tell you lot about that event!
StevieP

Postby fredrikw » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:04 am

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]I'm well on the way to building up a second bike for racing.

ooh exciting, are you going for a FS like the one you tried in Afan, or is it something else?
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:28 am

My bike blog.

The shorter version;
Santa Cruz Blur frame.
Fox Talas RLC forx.
Rohloff rear, Hope front hub.

So far I have spent nearly £1200 on second hand parts and it doesn't even look like a bike yet. :?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby fredrikw » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:45 am

bikes are expensive 8)

looks like a good setup, FS is the way to go :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 pm

This is getting closer, thought I'd give it a bump. Anyone else fancy this?

The last one was REALLY GOOD.
SpugFab

Postby HumanGazelle » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Damn; I was trying to factor this weekend in, but it looks like I'll be in France & then Portugal over that weekend. :?

Will look forward to the next one though.
HumanGazelle

Postby vCLaW » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:07 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]This is getting closer, thought I'd give it a bump. Anyone else fancy this?

Me. Sounds like fun, I want to come, and meet some more vegan cyclists. I'm now looking to see if I can get any cheap train tickets. How easy is it to get a train from London to Reading (with my bike)?
Somewhere to sleep for Friday / Saturday / Sunday nights would be great.
vCLaW

Postby Toothache » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 pm

[quote="vCLaW"][quote="spug_myers"] How easy is it to get a train from London to Reading (with my bike)?

As long as you have the right ticket, virtually every train from Paddington to Reading will accommodate your bike. The cheapest way is the Waterloo-Reading route but it's also an hour or so longer.

Although I don't know anyone on here as I'm a newbie I'd be well up for things like this in the future. If only I didn't have a gig to play on the 4th I would have asked to join in.

I also organise the occasional cycle ride or 2 in & around London, if anyone would like to get involved then the group can be found at http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32501512576 although I must stress the rides are for everyone, not just vegans (even though a fair few of us are).
Toothache

Postby seitan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 pm

so, what date will this be? i may well be able to make the saturday :)
seitan

Postby StevieP » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:26 am

Hi guys,

I've been keeping the details here:

http://www.t3v.veggroup.org/events/1079.html

It might be good if you are interested to PM me your email address so I can be sure to pass on to pass on relevant details.

What I need to know:

If you are coming (and I'll send your direction and contact details), what nights you will need accommodation for, and if you are in a couple at the event (so I can allocate suitable sleeping spaces) and if you need to hire a bike or other stuff.

The mud levels in the Chilterns are in flux. Because of the wet summer it muddier than it should be, (but it dries out quickly if the sun shines), so I'm keeping the route under review as the mud can halve speeds. But I think mud tyres will be most fitting. What ever the route there will be many opportunities to cut short on roads if time runs low. I aim the ride to be at a moderate pace which will be dictated by the slowest riders.

Initially, the Saturday meal was to be at a local vegan friendly pub, but they've got a booking from a 150 motor bikers, so we been gently declined. No big deal, and this removes the need to have lights for the return trip, so we will slap something together at our place - there's plenty of room.

ta
StevieP

Postby StevieP » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:21 pm

Fame - a guy from the Sunday People news paper just phone me to ask about the event.

It seems the 4th October is World Animal Day - http://www.worldanimalday.org.uk, which is news to me - there are too many World X Days to keep up.

Anyway, if you want to come along it now time to say before the world press invites everyone.

I went into the Chilterns yesterday - drying out nicely.
StevieP

Postby StevieP » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

Hi all,

So far I've got confirmation from:

ultra_whippet
StevieP
Sof
BGW
Abi
Spug
vclaw
Sue (off-forum).

All the above should have appropriate directions and contact details (Spug - I send yours to your hotmail account - just say if that was a bad idea.)

and sietain is a maybe.

All are biking.

When you have arrival times let me know. I can carry 3 bikes at a time from the train station if required.

atb

Stephen
Last edited by StevieP on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieP

Postby helmut » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:34 pm

ahh, so jealous. wish i was in europe
helmut

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum