Creatine for cycling?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Creatine for cycling?

Postby wannalift » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 am

Herbsman wrote:Sorry to bump this mega-old thread but I read (in The Biochemical Basis of Sports Performance) that creatine is invaluable for repeated bouts of high intensity exercise, e.g. when doing short but extremely hard anaerobic intervals.

I hate taking supplements but if I'm missing out on creatine intake by not eating meat then surely it's a good idea to supplement? I read something like 20g for 5 days and then 2g a day to maintain levels worked really well for vegetarians.

Yep, I take Kre Alkalyn and it made an immediate impact on my sprinting ability. I just do short sprint interval training on my bike trainer (6-12 second sprints in the 1400-1700 watt area), but my power and interval lenghts went up pretty much immediately. I don't take monohydrate because it makes me bloat. Kre Alkalyn is pretty awesome and cheap (in powder form). Gluta Lyn is good too.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Alistar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 am

One has to remember that the amount of creatine in a kg of red meat is only around 4 or 5grams, so meat isn't exactly full of the stuff. And how many meat eaters eat that much meat a day?
Thats not to say that its not neccesarily beneficial to some people. Seems the jury is still out though...

Also its not power one needs in cycling really(except for sprinting and track probably), as most people can easily put out the 300/400watts required, even if for relatively short periods. It's more the sustained ability to output this power, or close to it, which makes one a good cyclist.
Alistar

Postby Herbsman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:04 pm

I recently read that creatine is destroyed by cooking. I think it's pretty safe to forget about it.
Herbsman

Postby jpowell » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 am

I am not a cyclist (well, not as a sport ... I have ridden bicycles on and off for transport during my life, e.g. 7km each way to the school bus daily through high school). I do want sprinting type power (more so than cyclists), I am however also concerned about carrying too much muscle mass, and not really into body building. So I've given a little bit of thought and experimentation to this so far, and can weigh in my 2c if it's not offensive to do so.

Herbsman wrote: read ... that creatine is invaluable for repeated bouts of high intensity exercise, e.g. when doing short but extremely hard anaerobic intervals .... I hate taking supplements but if I'm missing ... then surely it's a good idea to supplement?

I tend to believe this, however your benefit for cycling will be much more limited than the benefit for my purposes. Having been using the monohydrate form I am also interested to try or find out more about krealkalyn (and perhaps lose 1-2kg unnecessary water weight?). If I was a cyclist, I would not consider any other form, and probably not take it at all.

Herbsman wrote: I recently read that creatine is destroyed by cooking. I think it's pretty safe to forget about it.

I have heard the same thing, but I don't follow the logic. A lot of other nutrients are also destroyed by cooking. While I won't advocate a 100% raw diet, it seems to me like a reason to get a good dose of raw food in, or in this case, to consider the supplement, again, uncooked.

ha wrote: where does creatine come from?

Creatine supplements, I am pretty sure, come from a lab and, like taurine supplements, but unlike most Vitamin D3, without recourse to animal ingredients (it's cheaper to synthesize it without). Creatine is naturally occuring in animal flesh, including in the flesh of vegan humans, just not in quite as high a quantity as some of us would like.
jpowell

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Coming to this debate late, as always;

I thought it had long ago been proved that creatine is worthless to cyclists in events lasting any more than ten seconds ?

I tried it once, when it first came onto the market, and couldn't feel or see any difference.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Herbsman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:09 pm

ten seconds at however many watts out of a corner during a crit race? or over the top of a hill during a road race...
Herbsman

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Herbsman wrote:ten seconds at however many watts out of a corner during a crit race? or over the top of a hill during a road race...

But thats about muscular endurance and efficiency. Lactate thresholds, VO2 Max etc. Not the same thing at all. As I understand it, its 10 second total events, not ten second efforts.

Blasting out of a corner in a crit, or attacking over the top of a climb won't be affected by creatine. Chris Hoy might benefit, but I think thats the sort of event where it may be relevant. I wonder if he uses it ?

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby wannalift » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:08 pm

JohnBarleycorn wrote:
Herbsman wrote:ten seconds at however many watts out of a corner during a crit race? or over the top of a hill during a road race...

But thats about muscular endurance and efficiency. Lactate thresholds, VO2 Max etc. Not the same thing at all. As I understand it, its 10 second total events, not ten second efforts.

Blasting out of a corner in a crit, or attacking over the top of a climb won't be affected by creatine. Chris Hoy might benefit, but I think thats the sort of event where it may be relevant. I wonder if he uses it ?

Can't speak for Chris Hoy, but Shane Perkins uses creatine successfully:

With my training, it is so hard to back up day to day with heavy lifting and fast work out on the track. With HP-100, NANO Glutamine and NANO Creatine, I was able to constantly beat my PB’s in the gym and continue to hold my size. My recovery between cycling efforts on the track was also unbeatable.With the help of HPC during the session I felt unstoppable. My level of fitness and intensity has increased greatly while using ASN Supplements and I have moved from single leg squatting 140kg for 3 reps up to 165kg for 3 reps! I am now continuing to increase my squatting and deadlift performances. After a time Peter realised I was serious about using the products.

wannalift

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Sounds like advertising copy to me !

I have known lots of pro riders endorse stuff like that, and never even seen the things they are endorsing. I am not saying he doesn't use it. But it does sound like an advertising copywriter wrote it for him.

I used to train with a pro who was well known for advertising a certain brand of bike frame. But he reckoned it was the worst frame he'd ever used, and hated it. But to read the adverts, you'd think he loved it. Years ago, but I am sure things haven't changed.

Maybe Shane really does love creatine and get results from it. And maybe not ! :shock:

JohnBarleycorn

Postby wannalift » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 am

JohnBarleycorn wrote:Sounds like advertising copy to me !

I have known lots of pro riders endorse stuff like that, and never even seen the things they are endorsing. I am not saying he doesn't use it. But it does sound like an advertising copywriter wrote it for him.

I used to train with a pro who was well known for advertising a certain brand of bike frame. But he reckoned it was the worst frame he'd ever used, and hated it. But to read the adverts, you'd think he loved it. Years ago, but I am sure things haven't changed.

Maybe Shane really does love creatine and get results from it. And maybe not ! :shock:

That was from an interview with him. Also, you can see in the video which supplements he takes and what purpose they serve for him. He is also the Keirin world champion so the demands on his energy systems are more than just 10-second bursts.
wannalift

Postby Herbsman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 pm

jpowell wrote:
Herbsman wrote: I recently read that creatine is destroyed by cooking. I think it's pretty safe to forget about it.

I have heard the same thing, but I don't follow the logic. A lot of other nutrients are also destroyed by cooking. While I won't advocate a 100% raw diet, it seems to me like a reason to get a good dose of raw food in, or in this case, to consider the supplement, again, uncooked.

The logic is that other cyclists in the peloton probably don't eat raw meat. Unless they're eating rare steaks regularly, their creatine intake wouldn't be much higher than that of a vegetarian or vegan
Herbsman

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 am

Lordmuppet wrote: have 3-5 grams a day with a warm drink (i use tea). It's cheap and not a hassle :)

Tried it this morning, not advised if you actually like drinking tea.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am

baldy wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote: have 3-5 grams a day with a warm drink (i use tea). It's cheap and not a hassle :)

Tried it this morning, not advised if you actually like drinking tea.

I forgot to mention that I have almost no taste buds
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum