Race to 150lb Bench Press!!

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby lilou » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:48 pm

I'm in! This will make a good short term goal which hopefully will inspire me to start benching again. My personal best is 60kg but that was this summer and I haven't been benching very much since then.
lilou

Postby Renecarol25 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:10 pm

I believe my max on this one is 135.. I know I made some insane attempts at benches before (putting my squat amount on the benchpress like an idiot) that sort of thing. I have barely been benching since the pumpnrun in Sept so count me out. BUT I'll try to hit 150 for bench in 2006.. just not January.

I checked back thru my old training log. And the most I lifted on purpose has been 130. But I have managed to do one rep of 145 on more than one occasion because I put 2-25s on each side instead of one when I was trying to train 95 pounds for reps.
Renecarol25

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:59 pm

wot is 60kilos becaus that was what i was benching with a spot this week for my heavy week... thats about 132lbs so once i can do that (a while off yet!) then i will ONLY have 18lbs to go - pfffffffffffff its going to be years!
Fruitbat

Postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:54 pm

i have to ask fruity - what is your reason for doing heavy negative reps? do you control it yourself on the way down, and then press with assistance? just from what i have read, negative reps dont seem to be useful for powerlifting. :?

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby tylerm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:02 pm

The time at which my benching was the most solid was when I was working heavy negatives into the end of my bench routine. However, I was also benching twice a week then, so it is hard to say if it was the negatives that had much of an impact, though psychologically it helped me when I knew what heavier weight felt like, so it didn't scare me when I tried to bench it :D
tylerm

Postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:05 pm

i personally think that the frequent benching is more the key. regarding getting used to a heavier weight, partial reps would be more effective in my opinion, as you are actually pressing the weight yourself, rather than having someone help you.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:08 pm

[quote="jonathan"]...negative reps dont seem to be useful for powerlifting. :?

jonathan

Hey mate, I would be interested to read from that source if you can dig it up for me, I am also a fan of negatives.
GenTDuke

Postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 pm

i have never heard them mentioned in any training routine, or anyones training logs on fortifiediron.net/invision. there are countless guys there with 300lb plus raw benchpresses, with a few in the high 500's.

plus this post:

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3026

plus i personally have never felt the need for them, so im just asking why other people might...

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 am

i find that doign really heavy assisted reps and negative reps is really helping my bench improve in leaps and bounds... its how i break the plateau when I get stuck at a certain weight...
Fruitbat

Postby Jonathan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:08 am

if you feel it works for you....IMO you would still be better off with partials (and leg work :P :lol: ).

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:18 pm

[quote="jonathan"]if you feel it works for you....IMO you would still be better off with partials (and leg work :P :lol: ).

jonathan

i have got my training partner to do deads with me now! :D but legs urgh i dont like legs and nothing will get him to do legs either!!!! I will rely on swimming, cycling, and gym CV for my legs thanks!
Fruitbat

Postby Jonathan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:31 pm

its cool that you are both doing deadlifts - its a wonderful exercise.

i know totally understand your sentiment towards squats - they are a real pain, and i dont enjoy them myself, but if powerlifting contests are still a goal of yours, you cant let your leg strength slip behind (the cardio will only weaken them). even if your training partner doesnt do legs, there is nothing to stop you squatting whilst he does tricep extentions supersetted with hammer curls with a set of kickbacks tagged on the end! :P

im not sure whether you want to hear this, but i think that you have loads of potential with powerlifting, you are bull strong and could do really well. you just have to squat though - its much more important than benching or deads (as deads will be carried up by the squat, and bench is quite easy, technically).

are there any powerlifters in aber that could coach you say once a week. i know that you get on really well with your training partner, but i suppose one PL session a week couldnt hurt. your training partner might even try a little PL himself when you start out squatting and deadlifting him!!

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:00 pm

gee thanks Jonathan! "bull strong" is a bit of an exageration of my attempts but its nice to hear!

Powerlifting is something I will consider when I move somewhere more central to be able to actually make it something concrete i could do. As much as I love Aber I feel that I will be ready to leave here when I finish my current degree (as much as it will grieve my training partner to know!). I dont want to leave but I think its inevitable. Our gym doesnt have any powerlifters that I know of - most are just casual guys who want to look macho throwing weights around - others are bodybuilders. I have the best of all the guys who use the weights room - he is the strongest they've got and maybe we do a BB routine, but my strength sure has increased exponentially under his care! In many ways I am quite glad we dont do legs as legs is so tiring and I do too much exercise as it is!
Fruitbat

Postby bronco » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:09 pm

I agree with Jonathan that you should start legtraining, makes no sense to train only half of the body ( unless you're a disco builder of course ;) ). And while you're at it do your training partner a favour and talk him into squatting as well :).
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby tylerm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:58 pm

this discussion reminds me of one of the guys who I train martial arts with. He got a new nickname he doesn't like, UBO. It stands for Upper Body Only. :D He is a huge dude, but only on the top half.
tylerm

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength