strength targets

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

strength targets

Postby JP » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:46 pm

i've been saving this list as long term strength targets. Some i might never achive, most i know i will :twisted:

can you do any of these already?

Squat - 2x bodyweight for 1

Deadlift - 2.5x bodyweight for 1

Overhead press - 1x bodyweight for 1

Bench press - 1.5x bodyweight for 1

Front squat - 1.5x bodyweight for 1

Dips - Bodyweight plus 75% for 1

Chins - bodyweight plus 50% for 1
JP
Site Admin

This sounds fun!

Postby Oak » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:11 pm

Squat Yes siree!
Deadlift Hmmm don't know.
Overhead press Almost about 10 lbs off
(is this the one where you lift a weight of the ground to over your head?)
Benchpress No way!!! Are you crazy. I can barely do half :lol:
Front squat Don't know (scared incase i drop weight on toes!)
Dips Probably
Chins Probably not.

Can't wait to hear other peoples :P

Oak :D
Oak

Postby JP » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:15 pm

:lol: you are a freak Oak :) In the most positive sense that is!

Your lifts fly in the face of any conventional lifting wisdom :lol:

Overhead press is the strict military press where you push the weight from top of your chest overhead locking out your hands.

Lighter people will find this much easier than heavier, especially on the chinning and dip thing.

i'll write down my answers and how far they are from the targets when i get home (at work now!). But rest assured, i can't do any of them yet.
JP
Site Admin

Overhead

Postby Oak » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:25 pm

Right if i'm not aloud to cheat by using momentum i guess i'd probably be a bit further off with the overhead press.
I would guess that i could probably do between half and three quarters of my body weight for this one.
I think my shoulders are weaker than they should be?

Oak
Oak

Re: Overhead

Postby JP » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:31 pm

Oak wrote:I would guess that i could probably do between half and three quarters of my body weight for this one.
I think my shoulders are weaker than they should be?

less left for guessing the better mate, try it out and report back!

Thing is these things are garder than they sound - well they are for me at least. If you were able to overhead press that much then your bench should be higher - so if you can overhead press and bench the same you would be quite weird again :lol:

Same thing goes for dipping, we are talking about doing a dip with 50kg hanging from a belt, so if your bench is only 50kg then i doubt you would be able to do it, sorry, again not doubting in a negative way, just saying that less left for quessing the better! What is your dipping max at the moment? Usually dip strength is a quite comparable to benching strenght because it's essentially a decline bench press.

What is your deadlift max at the moment? With your squatting power you should be able to deadlift quite a bit if you just can hold the bar.

ok, here's my situation - in a years time i'll return to this again and we can see how things have changed ;)

For the arguments sake i'll say my bodyweight is 100kg (though its only 98.5 at the moment)

Squat - 2x bodyweight for 1 - 200kg, current max 150kg
Deadlift - 2.5x bodyweight for 1 - 250kg, current max 175kg
Overhead press - 1x bodyweight for 1 - 100kg, current max 65kg
Bench press - 1.5x bodyweight for 1 - 150kg, current max 95kg
Front squat - 1.5x bodyweight for 1 - 150kg, current max 85kg
Dips - Bodyweight plus 75% for 1 - 75kg added weight, current max 20kg
Chins - bodyweight plus 50% for 1 - 50kg added weight, current max 12.5kg, lol!

So a lot of work to be done :shock:
JP
Site Admin

Goals and such

Postby VeganEssentials » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:36 pm

I'll let you know how I fare here with your missions....

- Squat - 2x bodyweight for 1
Eventually I hope to make this, but it'll be a bit due to my problems with form when I go heavier. Gonna take some time for this one, but if I can ever learn to push off right and not go forward when squatting for 95% of my max and above I'm sure to make some jumps. If I can dunk 500 someday, I'll be a proud man for sure.

-Deadlift - 2.5x bodyweight for 1
That's in my sights for the next year. I'm already at the double mark since my weight is down to the low 240s right now and I've made 485, but I hope to break 500 by the end of April. Eventual goal is 650-700, but that's the long term thinking on this one.

-Overhead press - 1x bodyweight for 1
I can push press fairly well, but strict pressing is a different story. My initial press from shoulders to forehead is my weak point, but my lockout from halfway is strong (I've done 430 on a smith machine for a 6" press to lockout as well as 300 for 8 reps). If I had to guess at my max strict press with my weak start I'd have to guess I'm at around 230 or so, but I can push press that amount overhead around 4-5 times on a good day if I kick into it a bit. I hope to get 300 overhead in a year with a push, and 250 with a strict press.

-Bench press - 1.5x bodyweight for 1
Eventual goal is 350-400 for way down the road, and I have no idea what I'm capable of right now. Best ever was 3 reps @ 275, and this was after not doing barbell presses for over a year and doing strictly heavy dumbbell work. I might hit 270-290 for a max now if I'm having a good day, but I've done only one bench workout in 3 months so it won't be good, that's for sure.

-Front squat - 1.5x bodyweight for 1
Somday I'll have to put some work into these. I think I'd be good for around 225 or so now, but not much more than that since I never practice them.

-Dips - Bodyweight plus 75% for 1
Haven't done dips in ages. Again, I'd probably do badly with them.

-Chins - bodyweight plus 50% for 1
Being heavy makes chins a pain. I can squeeze out 8-10 reps for a set if I've been practicing for a few weeks, but fresh into them I'm lucky to get 6. I'd like to do a single 1-arm chin someday, otherwise same as you, with 50% bodyweight added on.

My other goals I'm working on now....

1. 1-arm barbell deadlift 365+ this year, eventually break 400-450 down the line.

2. 1-arm barbell clean and push press 185 this year, shoot to get over 200 someday.

3. Close the COC #3 (we'll see how long this one takes...)

4. 2 Barbell deadlift 580-600 by the end of this year (seems easier than doing it regular from my past tries at it)

5. Pinch grip a pair of 45s, though this may take a long time to get there since I can barely get a pair of 35s off the ground.

6. Quarter deadlift 800-850 by year's end.

7. Bent press 120 in the coming months, work to someday get over 175 which would be fantastic.

Lots to aim for, lots of time to get there. We'll see what happens!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby Frostfire » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:07 am

Hum, do the same statistics apply to women? I'd love to know where I'm at because I am no where near any of those! :D Thanks!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby JP » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:45 am

Crystal wrote:Hum, do the same statistics apply to women? I'd love to know where I'm at because I am no where near any of those! :D Thanks!

hmmm.... probably not to be honest with you. But then again, this list is just pulled as a result to an online discussion on another board with other strength athletes - there is no other way really to do it i guess. So these are all just more or less guessing.

I wonder if i should just lose loads of weight to get to those numbers :lol:

Here's my current strength targets:

deadlift 200kg - before summer
bench 100kg - in a month or two

thats it at the moment! After i've reached those i will start callling my self strong :)
JP
Site Admin

Strength targets

Postby Oak » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:31 pm

So i tried out some of these targets and here is the results

Squat
170Kg (374lbs)
218% bodyweight
Note: This really hurts my shoulders due to the weight.

Deadlift
130kg (286lbs)
167% bodyweight
Why is this target so high? Ill aim for 2xbodyweight.
Note: Stupid right hand kept on losing grip of weight. Also unsure about technique?
Other note: Hurt back taking weights off bar! :lol:
Other, other note: Fitness instuctor was impressed :) he remembers only being able to do 60kg! He does squat down though with upright back which i don't. :?

Overhead press
55kg (121lbs)
70% Bodyweight

Bench Press
52.5kg (151lbs)
67% Bodyweight
My goal is to be able to lift bodyweight. Always had a whoosy chest.
Note: Could probably squeeze out more if not already knacked.

Front squat
I'll try this some other time. Still sounds scary.

Dips
100kg (220lbs)
128% Bodyweight
For me this seems to use mostly my triceps?
Note: Gym has no way to increase dips, so stuck dumbell inbetween legs - sore but pointful. The larger dumbells just wouldn't stay!

Chins
100kg (220lbs)
128% bodyweight
This is always weird for me. When i'm hanging it seems like it's going to be such an effort and then it's not?
Note: Same as dips.

Unlike some weightlifters / bodybuilders who are are top heavy, i'm bottom heavy. Which i think's not too strange. My other stong vegan pal in Edinburgh is the same. Although he has huge shoulders, but i can curl more?

How long will it take to reach the targets i wonder?
Oak

Bodyweight

Postby Oak » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:45 pm

Hi Ryan!

What weight are you?

Hi crystal!

With woman i think that as woman tend to have a higher body fat percentage it's a bit unfair to do compare the percentage of strength with bodyweight regarding women and men.
I think that due to women having more brown fat around organs plus having breasts the stength to BW ration might be a bit lower.
What do you think?

The huge strength of Ryan and Joni is almost demotivating. :lol: Will us normal (or freaky!) mortals ever achieve such strength?

Oak

Re: Bodyweight

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:20 am

Oak wrote:The huge strength of Ryan and Joni is almost demotivating. :lol: Will us normal (or freaky!) mortals ever achieve such strength?

Hi Oak,
just letting you in on a little secret, hope Joni don't mind :wink: : when I first met Joni, many moons ago, he was so skinny I seriously feared that, when he took a shower, he'd disappear down the drain pipe if he didn't keep his arms wide :lol: That should motivate you! :) (Joni - and Ryan, and everyone else that huge! - I reckon you should write your lifestory, as to how you got where you are. will motivate people, you know :wink: )

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Re: Strength targets

Postby JP » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 am

Good lifts Oak! Exellent squat dude!

Note: This really hurts my shoulders due to the weight.

it should man! It's 170kg!! :D

Deadlift
130kg (286lbs)
167% bodyweight
Why is this target so high? Ill aim for 2xbodyweight.

because deadlift is easier than squat for mortals. Only when the used weights get insanely high powerlifters start squatting more than they deadlift - and this is also because squat suit helps squat results but doesn't give much benefits for deadlifts.

Nevertheless 130kg deadlift is good mate. I'm sure if you worked on your technique and did deadlifts on a regular basis you would be deadlifting 170kg by autumn! Or 200kg soon after - tempting eh ;)

Other, other note: Fitness instuctor was impressed :) he remembers only being able to do 60kg! He does squat down though with upright back which i don't. :?

rochelle and billy deadlifts more than 60kg! I dont mean thats it's not much, but that for a male is not much, especially for a fitness professional!

Whatever makes you move the most weight is the right form. If you squat right down you probably are fairly short, or have long arms.

Overhead press
55kg (121lbs)
70% Bodyweight

Bench Press
52.5kg (151lbs)
67% Bodyweight
My goal is to be able to lift bodyweight. Always had a whoosy chest.
Note: Could probably squeeze out more if not already knacked.

thats a good overhead press because like with squatting vs deadlifting, overhead pressing is usually much harder for people. Good stuff!

Dips
100kg (220lbs)
128% Bodyweight
For me this seems to use mostly my triceps?
Note: Gym has no way to increase dips, so stuck dumbell inbetween legs - sore but pointful. The larger dumbells just wouldn't stay!

Chins
100kg (220lbs)
128% bodyweight
This is always weird for me. When i'm hanging it seems like it's going to be such an effort and then it's not?
Note: Same as dips.

the dips and chins were bodyweight PLUS 75% and 50%, so if you mark down 100kg, it would be 100kg dumbell you had between your legs :D

you might want to invest into a dip belt in which you can attach plates to. Much easier to do the lifts with that. They come in canvas often as well.

Unlike some weightlifters / bodybuilders who are are top heavy, i'm bottom heavy. Which i think's not too strange.

i rather be bottom heavy than top! Much cooler lifts done with bottom part of your body :)

Good lifts mate. In same areas you are clearly stronger than me, some you are not too far behind!

With a good program you could reach most of these goals in a year or two. (and no, thats not including 21's, isolations, lat raises, and reverse incline tricep cable kickbacks lol!).
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:52 am

Crystal wrote:Hum, do the same statistics apply to women? I'd love to know where I'm at because I am no where near any of those! :D Thanks!

I am 69 kg, and have managed to squat 80kg, though by jaysus, it hurt! Happier to max out at 60. I'm nowhere near on the others - especially the dips you bastard. :x
Mary

Postby Mary » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:56 am

because deadlift is easier than squat for mortals.

Eh? Am I immortal then, or just weird? I love squats - deadlifts I am more nervey about! Mind you, I haven't been doing them long. :oops:
Mary

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:39 am

)
Mary wrote:I am 69 kg, and have managed to squat 80kg, though by jaysus, it hurt!

DAMN, that's impressive!! One reason why I don't do squats is just having the bar on my boney shoulders hurts so much after a couple of reps - even with one of them foam rubber things around it - that I have to stop way before my legs are anywhere near tired. So squatting qith 80 kgs on your shoulders sounds like pure torture to me, and not just for your legs!

Deadlifts on the other hand, hmmmm :) I like those, although I have to say I pulled a bit more than just the weight yesterday; pulled my lats too, ouch! Obviously using wrong technique in my eagerness to lift a heavier weight than before. I'm DLing 55kgs now, which is,(heck! didn't even realise that!) my bodyweight, give or take a kg!! Wahey!! :D

Thing is, you can seriously screw up yourself with any exercise if you persist long enough with the combination of using the wrong technique with too heavy a weight.

As for the topic of the start of this thread: I don't have any specific goals. I just want to continue raising the weights I can push/pull, obviously without injuring myself.

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Next

Return to Power and Strength