Contest and challenge for everyone!

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Frostfire » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:44 am

I'm in for the Strength Contest! Almost forgot to post :oops: . I've been doing high-rep stuff for the last month and I hope that will kick-start a new cycle of strengthening for me :D . Good timing! Thanks Ryan!!!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby RobertCheeke » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:25 am

RYAN---Long time no contact! How are you buddy? This is Robert Cheeke. As you may recall from our previous contacts a year or two ago, I like contests. I have a ton of them on my website (www.veganbodybuilding.com) and some of the veganfitness.net people have entered and won some of them.

So now it's my turn to enter contests over here. I'm not really known for my strength, but maybe it's a good time to try. I need to read over the guidelines again, is it possible to enter both? I'll find out for myself in a few seconds.

Anyway, I'm mostly working toward the physique improvement because of all the opportunities that come from progress in that department and now that I've recovered from back injuries, time to boost up the strength as well.

RYAN-Dude, I don't know if I've heard from you in the past year (not sure that I wrote either) but feel free to e-mail me sometime robert@veganbodybuilding.com. I'd like to be in touch again.

Robert
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby Daniel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:55 pm

Sign me up for both contests. I'm not big on contests, but I just posted some recent strength totals and I'm working to gaining some muscle mass while lossing some fat. Good excuse to track my progess :) .
Daniel

Postby stateofflux » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:43 pm

Sign me up for the strength contest, Ryan.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby VeganEssentials » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:27 am

Okay, here's the new updated list for the two contests!

- jonathan
- JP
- bronco
- tylerm
- Oak
- J
- buzz
- Joe C
- daviddenton
- JO
- GenTDuke
- Crystal
- Keegan
- Daniel
- Rochelle

Physique transformation contest:

- i live in omaha
- jumpinglegacy
- TriMe
- hannibal
- Ash (pictues already submitted)
- tylerm
- jonathan
- kathryn
- daviddenton
- manofthehill
- ReverseWolf
- JO
- dudeimhuge
- chubbyamazon
- GenTDuke
- Keegan
- Daniel
- Notty (?)

Still waiting for confirmation on Fruitbat and a few others to see if they're interested - the competitor lineup is growing quickly, so let me know soon if you're interested! Also, for your photos, I've changed the guidelines a bit to say that a photo of you holding a newspaper from any date will suffice as I can imagine that nobody has any pre-shot pictures of them holding a paper just for the fun of it!

As an added bonus, the prizes have increased to the new totals as follows:

1st place - $75
2nd place - $50
3rd place - $25

So, a bit of an added bonus to what you can win for both events! I know that some of you may need a bit of time to get your pictures set to send, so I'm allowing for a bit of extra leeway on them - if you cannot scan them in or get them directly to digital, I can supply an address to mail them to so that I can scan them directly for the contest.

Now, regarding those who won't be testing maxes for the PL contest -
How does this sound - post me your goal weights that you'll be testing for in the coming weeks (less than 1 month from now) and we'll hold your starting totals until these have been attempted. If you make the attempt, we'll take the increase of weight, divide the increase in weight by the number of weeks since your total in the lift last increased, and subtract this new value once per week past the official start date (read below for an example). If you fail with the attempted weight, we'll call the total whatever you were at for your last posting. Here's an example:

Say that I had posted a 475 lb. squat 9 weeks ago and was attempting to go for a 500 lb. squat this time around, 3 weeks from today. I make the lift successfully, so we take the 25 lb. difference for the weight increase, divide it by 12 weeks (time between max attempts) and come to an estimated strength increase of 2 lbs/week (rounded down slightly for ease of posting.) Since I attempted this max 3 weeks into the contest, we'll take the 2 lbs x 3 weeks to equal 6 lbs. This 6 lb. mark will be deducted from the 500 lbs. and called the starting weight for the contest in the squat. Perfectly scientific? No, but it is about as close as we can get without everyone hitting their max in one day, so it seems to be a good way to start this off. If anyone disagrees, let me know and we'll try to devise a better system. If anyone is confused as to how to use this to determine their starting max weight in a lift let me know and we'll work the figures out together.

We're getting near the deadline, so again, for anyone who has not submitted pictures for the contest (which is almost everyone) please send them ASAP so I can mark you off for the event. For those who are not testing PL maxes for a few weeks, please PM me with the dates that you will be going for max lifts so that I can plan accordingly for my charts I'm keeping.

This should be good, so keep the entires coming as well as your pics and starting lift details!

Ryan
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:49 am

I am down for the physique contest.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Fruitbat » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:13 pm

Put me down for the physique contest... let's see how much muscle tone I can gain on my arms!!!!!
Fruitbat

Postby Notty » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:49 am

Thanks for the encouraging comments earlier, Tylerm - I will enter the 'physique' challenge. I got Mr Notty to take some photos of me in my running gear at the weekend, but we're just waiting for some new software to arrive to compress them.[/quote]
Notty

Postby highonlife » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:02 pm

I'm in for the physique challenge. But I do need some time to take a picture and mail it.. and I am new in here and the scanner/send pictures electonically business. so can you describe how to do this... or else I'm not able to do it :oops: but please help me, this sounds like fun! :D
highonlife

Postby highonlife » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:36 pm

:oops:
and I feel kinda stupid for asking,but I got confused reading..
is the deadline 1.june or 1.july? and you want a picture taken before 1. feb, so today? or is it ok with 1. feb,tomorrow.. a friend has a digital cam.. :oops: and I feel itsybitsy stupid for asking. but I am new to this... :D
highonlife

Postby JO » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:08 pm

just seeking clarification on the photo requirement...

my understanding re the physique contest is that the "before" pictures aren't necessary until we have the "after" ones. (my befores taken yesterday are appalling, and I'd prefer not to share them just now!)

are starting strength photos really needed, for some reason?

let me know.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:32 pm

Okay! One more update for the listing here as we close in on the last day for entries into the contests -

Powelifting total contest:

- jonathan
- JP
- bronco
- tylerm
- Oak
- J
- buzz
- Joe C
- daviddenton
- JO
- GenTDuke
- Crystal
- Keegan
- Daniel
- Rochelle

Physique transformation contest:

- i live in omaha
- jumpinglegacy
- TriMe
- hannibal (PICS SUBMITTED)
- Ash (PICS SUBMITTED)
- tylerm
- jonathan
- kathryn
- daviddenton
- manofthehill
- ReverseWolf
- JO
- dudeimhuge
- chubbyamazon
- GenTDuke
- Keegan
- Daniel
- Notty
- V VII Hero
- Fruitbat (PICS SUBMITTED)
- highonlife

As of midnight tonight the contest will be closed, so if you've been considering entering but haven't signed up, please post here as soon as you can so I can make sure you're listed!

In regard to the most recent questions -

1. The end date was recently bumped back to allow more time, so the contest now runs until July 1st, giving lots of time for the events to run.

2. If you don't have a digital camera or a scanner, you can mail photos in to me at the following address:

VeganEssentials
c/o Vegan Fitness Contest
3707 N. 92nd St.
Milwaukee, WI 53222

One the photos are received I'll get them scanned in and filed away for whenever the "after" pictures are complete.

3. I'd prefer to get all "before" photos in by the end of this week if at all possible. One thing to note is that the images are being filed immediately, so nobody sees anything until the contest is over. Even if you're not pleased with the shots taken as of now, just send 'em on over anyway and they'll be tucked away for safe keeping. If somehow someone decides to drop out of the contest for any reason the photos will simply be deleted, so no worries about them being posted here if you don't decide to finish the whole thing out.

I hope that this helps!

Ryan

And also...

VeganEssentials

Postby michaelhobson » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:37 pm

The joys of procrastination!

Count me in for both contests Ryan.

Thanks!
michaelhobson

Postby Kate_ » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:40 am

Umm... I would like to join for the physique change competition...
I have my pictures all ready, just have to send them, they're not yet on MY computer but I'll get them to you as soon as I can!!

Pinky swear...
Kate_

Postby VeganEssentials » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:36 am

Kate_,

Looks like you just made it! The contest officially closes in 20 minues from the time I started typing this, so I doubt anyone else will be getting in before it gets locked in :D

If you've got pictures, send them over whenever you can and I'll get them filed away and mark you down for having sent them over.

We've got 22 people competing in the physique challenge and almost as many in the PL total event, so there's a good mix going on for sure! I'm looking forward to watching everyone make some serious progress over the next few months, so let's get started and work hard to get stronger, leaner, bigger...whatever you want, make it happen!

Ryan

And also...

VeganEssentials

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength