Contest and challenge for everyone!

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby ReverseWolf » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:44 am

I'm in for the Physique Challenge. I've been doing a bit of touring with my band, and look forward to focusing on the gym in these cold months.
Q - What exactly constitutes the "biggest improvement" over this duration? I plan on catering to more of an endurance exercise routine; one that leans towards more repetitions with proportionately lighter weight in a pyramid progression. Combining this with an intense cardio routine, my muscle mass should remain fairly consistent while my body fat drops significantly.
ReverseWolf

Postby VeganEssentials » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:55 am

Glad to see so many more are getting involved!

I think we can safely have some carryover for people to enter both contests without any problem - I think that as it goes on, people will primarily focus on one or the other and put most efforts into a single side, but if someone manages to do exceptionally well at both, then who says they can't win in each one?

For you physique people, get that first photo ready in the next few days! Perhaps what would be best is to have everyone who is entering submit the pic to JP or myself and we'll sit on them until the contest is up and the "after" pics have been taken. Sound like a good idea, everyone? That way nobody is turning in anything too late, and we'll keep the pics private and unposted until everything is ready on July 1st.

For those of you in the powerlifting contest, make sure your totals are up and set to go before the end of the month! I'm not planning on penalizing anyone if they haven't updated the chart in a bit, but please, if you're capable of lifting 30kg over what you have listed, try to get it to recent figures so that you don't come in to the contest way ahead of the curve we're expecting. A bit is fine, but hopefully not more than 5-10kg tops for all lifts combined.

For the "most improved" physique, it will be voted on by everyone as to what they think the best change is. Some will think that adding the most mass is best, others will think that getting extremely lean and ripped will be best, and that's where we'll strike a balance. That way it isn't just one person's opinion for the winner, but a combination of everyone who votes and we'll tally it up in the end. I'd put it that if someone were to manage to accomplish something like adding 10 lbs. of muscle and losing 10 lbs. of fat in the next 5 months it'll really show, so you don't have to expect that you'll look like a whole new person to win - if people see the improvement and it is visible that you've put in some work, then by all means, you've got a shot at a top placing!

One last thing regarding physique contest entrants - it would be helpful to us all if you would be able to keep note of your starting weight and ending weight for the contest as that will definitely give a hand for those who are voting to know more about the progress made. If you feel like having bodyfat measurements taken as well it'd be great, but definitely not necessary. Pictures don't lie, so the results will speak for themselves. I'll update my listing of entrants this weekend, and for anyone left interested, there's only 3.5 days left to make up your mind, so be sure to note here if you're in!

Ryan
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

Postby VeganEssentials » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:02 am

One note for everyone - I've edited the rules at the beginning to reflect the new end date, and I've also clarified a bit more on the physique challenge to clear up any details that might have needed it. I'll re-read the rules daily to see if there's anything that needs to be fixed before we start, and if I make any alterations I'll post them at the end of this thread. Just as well, if you have any questions or ideas for improvements before Feb. 1st please post them here and we'll discuss making changes for the better for everyone!

Ryan
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

Postby JP » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:18 am

hey ryan, i have a problem. I'm maxing out next week, don't know how much i'll increase my totals, but i can't max out before the time i have to do it according to the routine.

On the other hand, my squat PB is marked as 165 because of my last summers PB, and my real squat PB in hovering around 150 mark at the moment, so i quess i'll end up worse off anyway here :D

So in all: i don't think i'll benefit from leaving things as they are, but just wanted to let you know about this.
JP
Site Admin

Postby JO » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:01 pm

Very well, Ryan. Ya twisted my arm. I'll play! :)

I'll play goallessly, though; asking: "what can happen in four months if I do my very best to optimize process/progress?"

Physique AND strength.

Will Rochelle play too? Hmm?!

:)
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby dudeimhuge » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:18 pm

i'm in for the physique contest
Corey Carlson
Dedicated to fitness since 2000.
dudeimhuge

Postby Kathryn » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:31 pm

Hi, i'd like to be in the contest too please! ive posted a piccie to you vegan essentials.

kathryn
Kathryn

Postby tylerm » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:05 pm

I am in the same boat as JP. I won't be doing 1 RMs for 3 more weeks, but I know I can lift more than I can according to the table. Squat is still the same for now, deadlift I can pull some more on I am sure, but the bench is definately up. I have a 1 rep mad of 145 lb. listed on there, but less than a a a week ago I did that same weight at 5x4. Maybe I should up it to say 165 or so for the start of the contest, so my totals aren't skewed. What do you think?
tylerm

Postby JP » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:22 pm

hey tyler, i guess we could always say that we have more in the tank? And there has to be a cut off point somewhere :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Notty » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:00 pm

This board has really motivated me to get fitter/leaner/healthier to be a good witness for veganism. I also want to run faster.

I'm aiming to lose 2 stone (28 pounds) of fat during the next six months and meet my goal of running a 10k race in under an hour (current pb 63.10). I do some weight training at the gym as well as running, but I'm not into muscle building/weight lifting or anything. I'm a 43 year old mum, just Mrs Average...

What I'm trying to say is I would like to enter the physique contest to motivate myself, but is it meant for body-builders, and am I way out of line here? Don't be embarrassed to tell me if I am, I would rather save myself further embarrasment! But I wonder if anyone else out there is thinking along the same lines? A few new members have posted lately about their weight loss/fitness goals, maybe they're wondering the same as me?
Notty

Postby tylerm » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:07 pm

Notty, this isn't for bodybuilders by a long shot, you should definately enter! There are lots of people on here interested in all kinds of activities, running, biking, martial arts, etc. So definately go for it, it will be great fun
tylerm

Awesome!

Postby chubbyamazon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:13 pm

You can count me in on the improved physique competition! I just became a vegan about two months ago ( before that I was vegetarian for about seven years). This is the incentive to really get in shape. I've got a bit of the "squishy stuff" to get rid of (mid-section, but mostly in the lower body). I'm 5'11 and I wanna get down to about 150-160, is a 35- pound fat loss an attainable goal in within a six-month period?
chubbyamazon

Re: Awesome!

Postby michaelhobson » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:00 pm

[quote="chubbyamazon"] I'm 5'11 and I wanna get down to about 150-160, is a 35- pound fat loss an attainable goal in within a six-month period?

That's a very reasonable goal if you are eating right and working out. I lost 30 pounds in 12 weeks when I first started lifting and running back in 2000. I followed a vegetarian version of the Body for Life program. At the time I had nothing more than some light dumbels and a pair of running shoes to work with.
michaelhobson

Postby GenTDuke » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:15 pm

I am in for both contests, I have been doing pure endurance on my legs for a while now so it is gonna be hard for me to beat my current best squat (whcih is now pathetic), but I should have no probs getting my bench and deadlift up. Also I have been trying to get rid of my bodyfat anyway so the physique challange is perfectly timed: I will try and get some new pics within a couple of days.
GenTDuke

Postby ash » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:53 pm

Hi! Count me in for the physique contest, I've definately got some weight to lose, and this is a pretty good motivation. I've lost 20 pounds since july but plateaued so this should get me going again. I'll send before pics ASAP, gotta go out and get a paper. thanks for this opportunity -ash
break the silence.

when we can no longer dream we die -emma goldman
ash

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength