Contest and challenge for everyone!

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby TriMe » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:54 pm

My problems with heavy lifting while putting in large amount of time doing cardio are the increased likelihood of injuries and muscle tiredness. After the ironman I'm probably going to switch to pure lifting and try and put on a good 10 pounds of muscle though.
TriMe

Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:08 pm

[quote="bronco"] I'm thinking it would be nice to have the closing date for the strength competition one month later, beacuse of the vegan fitness week in middle of june. This way, those who attend the meeting will have a chance to go for contest winning lifts with the real life support of fellow vegan fitness memebrs :) . I'm also thinking that in this case a video would not be necessary since there would be plenty of wellknown witnesses. Whatr you think of this?

You want it, you've got it! We'll make the closing date for the contest to be July 1st, giving more time to those of you outside the USA who may be meeting up to lift in June. With witnesses stating that lifts were made, it'll be acceptable, except for the physique contest which we'll obviously need photos for. So, add one month to the contest total for a good 5 month run. This means everyone should be able to add a few kgs to their total above and beyond, and this gives even more time to shed a few pounds or add a bit of muscle, too!

[quote="bronco"] But the rules doesn't require me to try my 1 RM before the competition start so I would get in this case 10 kg "for free"? With this in mind, might it be a good idea to have everyone post current values ( say, from within a month of something) before the start date?

The main reason I'd posted the ability to allow for a bit of leeway in the totals is that some people may need to document their PRs at a different time from when they're performed, or they may have a slightly off day when the time to film comes, so as long as you can document or have witnesses to each lift that is within 5 lbs/2.2kg of the total you declare. We can make it totally strict if it would be better for everyone so that you'd need to be prepared to have evidence of your true total, so what does everyone think about it?

I looked at it from the perspective of that, if I made a 500 lb. squat one week and wanted to replicate it the next week for video, I might struggle to get it out on that exact amount, but even 5 lbs. off would give the mental edge to most likely complete the rep for the contest documentation. Anyway, let's hear it for opinions on the leeway weight or if it should be strict to the number!

Ryan
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

Postby tylerm » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:20 pm

I, for one, think the 5 lb. leeway is fine. I trust everyone on this board enough to not just up their numbers 5 lb. if they can't really do it :D

From Sensless' avatar it looks that you guys got your stone molds, eh?
tylerm

Postby J » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:40 am

Sensless, good to see you posting.
I guess you are asking someone other than Ryan that first question. I figure the consensus here is the same as with the strength table.

I hope your injuries work out OK.
J

Postby VeganEssentials » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:09 am

Acutally, I've decided to exclude Sensless from the event since I tend to set him up with free stuff regularly anyhow, so there's no point in him trying to weasel out a few more bucks worth of goodies :D If he somehow does happen to make a top total in the contest I'll toss some extra stuff his way, but I don't want to detract from anyone else on the board from having a crack at being the best in either category with him fighting to the death to try and win (he's like that, you know...)

I'm actually forcing some more protein powder on him since I figure he's only going to get stronger if he'd actually eat some damned food, so my mission is to see to it that the man never has an excuse!

Ryan

And also...

VeganEssentials

Postby JP » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:34 pm

hehee, well, sensless can be part of the judging panel then, and perhaps even taste all goodies that are being sent to the winners to make sure they are top quality :)

We just sent the latest VF newsletter out to all members announcing this competition, hope it will generate more interest!
JP
Site Admin

Postby jumpinglegacy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:38 pm

Sounds like a great idea! I was hoping to shape up for my grad in June, so this couldn't come at a better time! I don't do powerlifting, but I can definitely enter the physique contest! With or without prizes, this is an awesome idea.
jumpinglegacy

Postby bronco » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:35 pm

[quote="VeganEssentials"][quote="bronco"] I'm thinking it would be nice to have the closing date for the strength competition one month later, beacuse of the vegan fitness week in middle of june. This way, those who attend the meeting will have a chance to go for contest winning lifts with the real life support of fellow vegan fitness memebrs :) . I'm also thinking that in this case a video would not be necessary since there would be plenty of wellknown witnesses. Whatr you think of this?

You want it, you've got it! We'll make the closing date for the contest to be July 1st, giving more time to those of you outside the USA who may be meeting up to lift in June.

Excellent :D !
[quote="VeganEssentials"]
[quote="bronco"] But the rules doesn't require me to try my 1 RM before the competition start so I would get in this case 10 kg "for free"? With this in mind, might it be a good idea to have everyone post current values ( say, from within a month of something) before the start date?

The main reason I'd posted the ability to allow for a bit of leeway in the totals is that some people may need to document their PRs at a different time from when they're performed, or they may have a slightly off day when the time to film comes, so as long as you can document or have witnesses to each lift that is within 5 lbs/2.2kg of the total you declare. We can make it totally strict if it would be better for everyone so that you'd need to be prepared to have evidence of your true total, so what does everyone think about it?
Ryan

It seems I did not make myslef clear. I think allowing 5lbs difference between video/photo and claimed maximum is totally acceptable. I totally trust everyone on this board not to post a weight they have not lifted.
What I meant is that some people, myself for one, may not have updated their total in the strength table for a while. In my case, the last time I tested my deadlift and bench 1 rm was 5 month ago. So there is the possibility that I have improved in that time. If I then were to try my 1 rm again before the competition starts, I might improve my total with say 15 kg (that would be nice :) ), and enter the competition with a total of 345 kg. On the other hand if I don't try my 1 rm before the competition starts, I will enter with a 330 total, which will give me an extra 15 kg "improvement" (compared to the former scenario) when the competition ends in july. What do you think, is this something that needs to be taken into consideration?
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:50 pm

[quote="jumpinglegacy"]Sounds like a great idea! I was hoping to shape up for my grad in June, so this couldn't come at a better time! I don't do powerlifting, but I can definitely enter the physique contest! With or without prizes, this is an awesome idea.

Exellent, great to hear! Good luck Jump (and welcome to the boards as well)!
JP
Site Admin

Postby i live in omaha » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:02 am

awesome. i'm totally down for the physique one.
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:36 pm

it all sounds excellent.
i have two witnesses for the 170kg deadlift.
i will test my bench max on friday. likely to be 97.5-102.5. i really havent increased my strength here in a while.
i tested my squat yesterday. i mentioned on saturday that i was going to test it again because i didnt feel that when i did the 125kg i went low enough. i did that lift with a 90degree angle from my calf to my knees.
i went parrellel this time, maybe even a little lower ( i had kathryn and a mirror to make sure of this!!) but could only manage 90kg. it really bloody depressed me. ask kathryn-i was sulking for all of last night!

anyways-i have posted two pictures of me that i took yesterday onto my photo gallery
http://photobucket.com/albums/v231/bob2 ... addtype=pc
i dont have any date proof on it. i forgot :(

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby JP » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:16 pm

i had the same mate - thought i was a super duper squatter, but the powerlifters told me off and i had to drop the weights right down. I am still quite a bit short from my old 1rm, but i will catch up soon. So will you!

Good luck with the benching! In powerlifting, the bar should stop for a second on chest before launching back up, but on the VF comp thats not necessary - well i think most people haven't done their rep with a pause, i know i haven't. But let it touch and go anyway!

Vegan power!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:18 pm

[quote="jonathan"]anyways-i have posted two pictures of me that i took yesterday onto my photo gallery

jonathan

Awwww VERY nice photos! :wink: I'm impressed with the weights and the muscly body :wink:
Fruitbat

Postby VeganEssentials » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:38 am

Okay! Seems like things are heating up a bit with more people getting involved here, so let me make a tenative list of those that seem to be interested:

Powerlifting total improvement contest:

- jonathan
- JP
- bronco
- tylerm
- Oak

Physique transformation contest:

- i live in omaha
- jumpinglegacy
- TriMe (?)

The following people posted here, but I'm not sure if they're in on the contest, so if you're up for it please let me know:

- fruitbat
- Dave Noisy (come on, you can do it!)
- JO (aren't you tempted enough by the chance for free stuff?)
- buzz
- fredrikw

And, what about daviddenton, Crystal and some of the rest of you who could give it a good run for the contest?

My goal is to get at least 8 people in each division so there's some good competition going on - the PL total contest is getting there, but the Physique contest is running a bit more slowly. So, if you're interested even remotely then let's get this thing going soon and let me know if you're in. Like I said regarding the physique event, you don't have to post your "before" pictures here now, so what have you got to lose. Come on, everyone, tell me you're in!

Ryan

And also...

VeganEssentials

Postby J » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:52 am

Please put me in the PL comp. If anything my maxes have gone down a little but the ones listed are fine.

edited to add: Actually I doubt I have a chance at winning because I'm going to have to permanently switch to sumo deads which I'm horrible at.
J

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength